You can type here any text you want

Has anyone chopped off their t-tops and put a hardtop in (with pics)?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rafs-T-Type

Not so Senior Member
I'm wondering weather to fix the rusty t-tops or just chop that sucker out and and go with a hardtop. What kind of parts would I need if I did this?

get a GOOD used hardtop roof.. Measure 3 times an cut once :D .. Pretty easy thing to do.. Ill see if I can find some old pics I had.

get a GOOD used hardtop roof.. Measure 3 times an cut once :D .. Pretty easy thing to do.. Ill see if I can find some old pics I had.
Thanks, that would be great. How much stuff did you have to get for the conversion i.e. headliner, trim pieces, weather stripping and what-not?

we took everything from one car to the other including weather stripping. (This was the car was only a few years old) :cool:

needed parts
roof
a and b pillar trim along with the roof trim
weather strip (for above)
visors
front headliner and side head liner trim
headliner
upper side plastic panels around rear side windows
inside the car a and b pillar trim

this all that i can think of.

i have parted out about 30 t top g bodies in the last 10 years and all had rotted roofs. people call me from all over the country with the same problem. sell off the t top specific parts to help reduce the cost of the swap and dont look back

needed parts
roof
a and b pillar trim along with the roof trim
weather strip (for above)
visors
front headliner and side head liner trim
headliner
upper side plastic panels around rear side windows
inside the car a and b pillar trim

this all that i can think of.

i have parted out about 30 t top g bodies in the last 10 years and all had rotted roofs. people call me from all over the country with the same problem. sell off the t top specific parts to help reduce the cost of the swap and dont look back

:eek::eek::eek: How would you charge for the parts needed?

lets assume these parts are for a gn with black trim which in my opinion are worth a little more. i would cut the roof off bigger than needed so i wouldnt have to deal with unscrewing all that trim and minimize my necessary work and i would probably ask $600-800 for all those parts

I think Tony Shoaff did it to the Atomic GN .... do a search - it might be documented on the site

aaron

Have you seen the GN aero (sp) coupe? It started out as a T top car and got changed to a hard top, and now has the aero (sp) coupe back on it.;) Very nice job of fabbing and it's one of a kind.:cool:

Have you seen the GN aero (sp) coupe? It started out as a T top car and got changed to a hard top, and now has the aero (sp) coupe back on it.;) Very nice job of fabbing and it's one of a kind.:cool:

i got the parts to make that happen as well

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 90
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 90
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 92
Keep on mind on the A-pillars the t-top is skinier then the Hard top units. They need to be cut down low in the front. The A-pillar trim will not fit corecttly if you don't. You should be able to sell a lot of your t-top parts off to help recover the $. You don't need the visors just the visor swivels are different.

Keep on mind on the A-pillars the t-top is skinier then the Hard top units. They need to be cut down low in the front. The A-pillar trim will not fit corecttly if you don't. You should be able to sell a lot of your t-top parts off to help recover the $. You don't need the visors just the visor swivels are different.

Yikes...I didn't know that. It looks like Tony left them in place, than again I don't know if he put the trim back in - http://turbobuick.com/forums/threads/atomic-gn-ii.304398/page-2. They seemed to line up pretty good in this other site's thread - http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=16256&start=15#.UIlGwm_Aebs

I have a good t top roof off of a monte ss if you need its cut below the doors and into the rear part of the roof.....I was gonna fix my na regal but ended up parting it and buying a t top turbo limited roller instead.....

I have a good t top roof off of a monte ss if you need its cut below the doors and into the rear part of the roof.....I was gonna fix my na regal but ended up parting it and buying a t top turbo limited roller instead.....
What would you want for something like that?

I paid $400 for the junkyard to cut it off but ill sell it to you for $200 its complete too, center section, metal top plates etc...

Thats one of the worse cases of roof rot I ever seen
It's scary when you are saying that! It makes me wonder what else is hiding in the car. The frame and all that don't seem bad. There's some weird stuff going on in the door jam though.

you guys are killing me

i been tossing this idea around for months, bweavy can tell you lol i guess we can get the a pillars as well with the rest of the parts, just cut off for shipping and weld it back on?

What I dropped off in the toilet this morning was one of a kind too ;). I did see that project. Definitly some nice work went into it. Joking aside I'm indifferent about it. It's sweet that it will feel better at high speeds, but I don't really care for the look of it. It seems like everything good has a trade-off of something bad.

Back