Head gaskets

Cometics...
Twice so far and soon to be the 3rd time for the same gasket. Never a leak but maybe some Aviation red around the water this time, but other than that, bone dry. Laquer thinner clean.

Craig

I have used them all. Early 1007s,late 1007s, 9441s, Cometics ect..
My favorite so far is the cometic. The 1007s worked well for a while , but i would still get combustion leakage after 10 or so low 10sec passes. I know many folks never suffered such problems.

Also if you have a car with old style ARP studs you can still remove the heads with out the allen head. Use a SBC poly lock as those used on roller rocker arms. Screw them in, set the allen nut and unscrew the stud just like a bolt.

So what is the story on cometics? What are they made out of? How thick? Do they require a re-torque? I hate to machine off my receiver grooves Because I'm afraid I might not be able to go back with them. The heads have allready been surfaced once on the left & twice on the right.

What about wirelocs AND o-rings for a double seal? It looks like there is quite a bit of room inside the wirelocs to do this.

Thanks

So what is the story on cometics? What are they made out of? How thick? Do they require a re-torque? I hate to machine off my receiver grooves Because I'm afraid I might not be able to go back with them. The heads have allready been surfaced once on the left & twice on the right.

What about wirelocs AND o-rings for a double seal? It looks like there is quite a bit of room inside the wirelocs to do this.

Thanks
If you're going to try a double seal deal, I would start off with the embedded wire SCE copper gaskets and oring behind the embedded wire.

The wirelocs go almost immediately to composition material, and partial at that, after the wireloc.

I have one of the newer 1007 brand new in the package hanging on the wall. 50 shipped if anyone needs it.

I've heard good things about RJC HG, but there out of the .045 gaskets. All they have now are the .035. Would'nt this increase the static compression more than we'd want?

Ttt

Anyone have any comments on the RJCs? What thinkness does everyone use on RJCs, or Commetics? I realy dont want this thing to leak water or oil when I'm done. What would you guys recomend? I'll be useing ARP studs.

Anyone have any comments on the RJCs? What thinkness does everyone use on RJCs, or Commetics? I realy dont want this thing to leak water or oil when I'm done. What would you guys recomend? I'll be useing ARP studs.
The thickness of the gasket you should use is soley dependant on your target static compression ratio. Figure out what CR you want to run, then do the math to figure out what cc value you need the gaskets to give you to come to your target CR.

How about the 9441s...any problems with those? Aren't those stock replacement gaskets?

SCE ICS copper head gaskets

I'm trying the new SCE ICS (integral combuston seal) copper head gaskets along with ARP studs.
Does anyone out there know what I should torque the studs to with moly lube? I have heard different #'s from stock torque specs to 85 , 100,110 and even 125 ft/lbs. :confused:
I am running Champion irons. Thanks:biggrin: