You can type here any text you want

Head Porting....Pics included

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Chris McDade

I've had these heads on the car for about 3 years now. I've run 11.00's @ 124 with 93 and Alky with these heads. I believe i'm floating valves at high RPM and bad head gasket is why i pulled them so, im going to replace springs.

Take a look at these pics. Do you think this would hurt the flow or performance? My porter busted through the side wall of the heads so he installed sleeves. There are 3 of these on each head. Before I put more money in these heads I wanted to get some feedback.....Thanks
head1.jpg

head2.jpg

heads.jpg

I guess a pressure test would confirm that. What is recommended for a test pressure?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

You don't need to pressure test it as long as the guides he installed have a good press fit you should not get any oil in the intake runner.

He probably didn't need to take the port out that far........... but, that is a real common trick that is done to S2 heads.

I do that often. Just finished a set of TA aluminum heads and had to do that to head bolt holes. (BIG lump for head bolt boss).
How much welding rod was used to fix the intake? I use epoxy to prevent heat warping the intake manifold when matching to the 1200 FelPro.

My ported TA heads are the same way. No issues at all

I do that often. Just finished a set of TA aluminum heads and had to do that to head bolt holes. (BIG lump for head bolt boss).
How much welding rod was used to fix the intake? I use epoxy to prevent heat warping the intake manifold when matching to the 1200 FelPro.
Hi turbfabricator, I looking for some guidance on porting a set of TA Si heads can you help me out,
It all looks like basic stuff but with this kind of investment I want to do it right !

Imop, if you want it done right send them to someone with experience

the above is a very true and wise statement.
Just because some opened the ports and they have been "hawged" out doesnt mean they are going to flow. Good porter knows where the fast areas and slow areas are in the port, what contributes to swirl, cross sectional area, etc etc

Lucky for you, we have several good head porters on this forum. Just be aware you can sink just as much money as you paid for the heads into port work

Porting is nasty work. It's worth it to pay someone that knows what they are doing. If you want to play with home porting on a budget build then have at it.

Porting is nasty work. It's worth it to pay someone that knows what they are doing. If you want to play with home porting on a budget build then have at it.

But don't do it to a fresh set of TA heads.

True, I don't consider TA heads a "budget" build.

Only way to learn is to do it. But agree, you can mess up a head real fast if you are learning on them.

Here is mine my friend just finished up.

Attachments

• 1437257608363.jpg
    1437257608363.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 248
  • 1437257628469.jpg
    1437257628469.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 234
  • 1437257648640.jpg
    1437257648640.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 226
  • 1437257682679.jpg
    1437257682679.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 234
Only way to learn is to do it. But agree, you can mess up a head real fast if you are learning on them.
I have to agree with you Ken. If you decide to do it yourself make sure to have someone experienced to help you so you understand how to do it. It will be a laborious job but when you're done you will most likely never do it again.

Back