You can type here any text you want

How much to go 10's $2699

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

V8killR4U

In addition to what I have at a minum what will i need to run 10's
Heres what i thought
I was thinkin Iron Heads $1200
50-72lbs INJ $445
Slics $340
Cam $145
Labor $500
Air bags $69
$2699

you need way more than that...

slicks = $300
that TE-60 will not get you in the tens...try PT-61 = $675
57 lb/hr high impendence injectors = $360
boxed lower controls arms = $220
moser axles = $300
ported and polished STOCK heads w/ valve job = $700
3200 stall converter = $300
double pumper fuel pump system (i wouldn't chance a single pump in the 10's) = $500
beefed up tranny = $2000 (to make it bulletproof)

i know for sure i am leaving out some things...but it costs way more than just a couple grand to get in the tens...oh and i wouldn't be trusting a $175 cam...try a $1000 billet roller cam...

Well hmmmmmmmmmm? I thought I could do it with the stuff I listed and whats in my sig. I know the TE-60 is pushing it for 10's, what a about a TE45A? I just want to hit this number a few times, i drive my car on the street mostly and i only see the strip 3 times a year if that? Plus i wanted to know at a minimun what i needed.
Originally posted by d0n_3d
you need way more than that...

slicks = $300
that TE-60 will not get you in the tens...try PT-61 = $675
57 lb/hr high impendence injectors = $360
boxed lower controls arms = $220
moser axles = $300
ported and polished STOCK heads w/ valve job = $700
3200 stall converter = $300
double pumper fuel pump system (i wouldn't chance a single pump in the 10's) = $500
beefed up tranny = $2000 (to make it bulletproof)

i know for sure i am leaving out some things...but it costs way more than just a couple grand to get in the tens...oh and i wouldn't be trusting a $175 cam...try a $1000 billet roller cam...

well assuming your motor hasn't been touched...you can't just run 10's on a stock motor...you need to at least port and polished the stock heads, get a valve job done on them, and port match the intake...

as for the turbo...you can run 10's ALOT easier with a big shaft turbo such as a TE45A or a PT67...but again you need everything to go with it to make it work such as a good cam (CC 212/212 billet roller)

you have the intercooler to do it...you won't be able to run 10's on a stock tranny i GUARANTEE that...you will have to get it rebuilt and modified with billet parts which will cost you around $2000...

you need to beef up your driveline too such as an aluminum driveshaft, spicer ujoints, driveshaft loop, moser axles (the stock ones WILL break), c-clip eliminators in the rear if you plan on racing LEGALLY, roll cage, harness, blah blah blah...everything adds up!

and to put everything on the ground...you need to spend at LEAST $500 on the suspension...ATR rear sway bar, boxed lower control arms, air bags, Bilstein shocks, etc.

not an easy task to run 10's in ANY car...but it's easier and cheaper usually to do it with these cars rather than an LS1 or Mustang...from where you are now I would be looking to spend about at least $7000 to run 10's...:eek:

I agree with don on everything but i believe that a hydralic flat tappet cam such as the stocker or small aftermarket should not be a problem, if you want no problems at all, inspect the stocker and if its ok then stick it back in there. Flat tappets go out for reasons that our usually preventable such as improper break in or too much valve spring and such. Not saying there aren't problems but if your not gonna rebuild the motor and all id just stick with a regular cam, i love my 204/214 and have not heard much in the way of failures that weren't caused by the installer or another problem:cool: If installed correctly and broken in correctly you should not have a problem. But this is all just my opinion and yes a billet roller is a good investment for peace of mind, but its just hard for me to consider spending a grand on a cam when most have including myself have no problems with hydralic flat tappets

tHIS IS GETTING A LIL NUTTY i WAS NOT TRYING TO DUMP THAT TYPE OF MONEY INT O MY CAR, BASICALLY CUZ I CANT AFFORD ALL THAT STUFF, GUESS iLL JUST BE RUNNIN MOTOR CAPABLE OF IT AND THE TRANNY AND ALL THAT OTHER STUFF WILL HAVE TO BE BUILT OVER TIME?

trust me about a few months ago I had this CRAZY idea that I was gonna run 10's and buy $10,000 worth of mods...then one day I woke up because I am only 21 and shouldn't be spending that kind of money on just a car:)

besides...my car will be fast enough when i get this motor refreshed soon...i think mid to low 11's for a mostly street driver is the limit anyways...any faster and you have yourself a suicide wish...not to mention how the heck do you keep all that horsepower with a 10 second car on the pavement on the street without full fledged slicks???

Originally posted by V8killR4U
In addition to what I have at a minum what will i need to run 10's
Heres what i thought
I was thinkin Iron Heads $1200
50-72lbs INJ $445
Slics $340
Cam $145
Labor $500
Air bags $69
$2699

I think it is possible.
Things I'd add to your list.

Lower control arms - BMR Tubular - $120
Lots of boost, and a bad-@ss launch!

Save the $500 labor money and do the work yourself.
At TE-60 turbo will go high 10's. They have before.
Hell, with your MPH, you should be in the mid 11's right now.
It's all in the launch.

Ross

When you pull the block to install ported irons figure on $3,500 parts and labor just to do the requisite stuff that tags along with heads. And we ain't talking a shortblock rebuild, either - nothing so glamorous as that.

I asked this same ??? of Nick M. a short while ago.

I'd figured $5,000.

Speed ain't cheap, my friend!

:D

I believe you can do it with about 2500.00 just my .02 sell your te 60 and go pt-61 or te45 lil head work nothin major ,also the lil cam would work fine . Then the inj. change 57s min. and you got good converter . The slicks would be a must and then tune the car to perfection and last ,but not least launch it like you hate it.

What intercooler do you have?

randy (the redneck):D :D :D

If the $500 labor estimate is for installing the injectors, cam and heads, you are low on that estimate. From what I have read/heard, the labor to r&r the heads is at least $600 and add another $200+ for the cam.

well assuming your motor hasn't been touched...you can't just run 10's on a stock motor...you need to at least port and polished the stock heads, get a valve job done on them, and port match the intake...

I respectfully disagree, Don. It's not as efficient as running ported everything, but running high boost will get a stock motor in the 10s.

and to put everything on the ground...you need to spend at LEAST $500 on the suspension...ATR rear sway bar, boxed lower control arms, air bags, Bilstein shocks, etc.

Again, I disagree. 28x10.5 slicks, home-boxed control arms with poly bushings, right side air bag in the rear. In the front, I removed the sway bar and put some cheap Competion Engineering 90/10s. 60' is in the 1.4s.

V8killR4U-
If I were you, I would just try your theory. Tune is everything with these cars. Concentrate on your tuning abilities so you can safely run high boost, and see where you get. You may be surprised. I know lots of cars with the parts to run mid 10s, but have trouble breaking 11s. Then there's me.

SB,

I submit you're torturing your car to achieve those numbers without heads.

I guess it depends on your interpretation of the original question. Yes, you can run 10s doing it your way, but I wouldn't recommend your approach for the long run. And I don't think you would either...

For what it's worth, I ran 10.70's without too much trouble 5-6 years ago. Simply installed a CPT64 turbo, 218 tappet cam, 55lb inj. and a set of Champion race ported iron heads. Broke in the cam sat morning about 5am, changed the oil, backed out of the garage and drove to Etown, 3.5hrs. on BFG drag radials. Pulled up to the gas island and dumped 20 dollars worth of race gas in, never touched a thing and ran 11.1@ 121mph the first pass off the highway on 19lbs of boost. 2 weeks later, driving down to Etown with a set of slicks I ran 10.80@124mph. This was the Pumpkin when it was a bone stocker, originally white, original motor with lots of miles on it, daily driven. I will say I had a good trans, $1500 rebuilt unit and a 9.5 AC convertor in it. As for the rest of the car, suspension was Metco lowers, stock uppers and air bags. This combo lasted for over a year before I lost a few cam lobes after about 20,000 miles and only God knows how many 10 second passes. Not too mention way before I even thought of having a trailer........... Can a low dollar upgrade run the number? Heck I even ran a single walbro 307 with a hot wire kit and a volt booster. :cool:

A stock motor can go 10's. It's all about the tuning!!

TA-52 turbo, 43# injectors, single 340 pump, PTE front mount.......29 1/2 PSI. I've been running it this way for 3 years now with only an occasional head gasket problem (3 times in 3 years).

Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration pray for us!!!

Dave

TD,

What do you run with a 5 PSI launch, and 25 PSI thru the traps. About an 11.3 or so, right?

Torturing? Not in my opinion. I guess it depends on your tolerance of pain. FWIW, I have never blown a head gasket and have run as much as 35 psi boost. I will admit, this is not an every weekend bracket racer, but it has multiple 10 second passes on it. I don't expect things to stay together forever, but like TurboDave231 said, "it's all in the tuning".

Well Like I said guys, Im looking to just run a that number a few times a year. Its not a weekend racer soooo...... Well its been a tough decision, but it seems like money is going to be the deciding factor here. I had a bad azz engine I was going to buy that was capable of low/mid 10 seconds passes but to get my car set up like the one it came out of, is going to cost me way too much I think, especially when i have to pay someone to drop the engine in and purchase all the other lil odds and ends. (Slics, airbags, tranny set up etc.) Well I appreciate all of your input and any more input would be appreciated. I may not be doing nothing to the GN because it seems to me every plan or idea I have, gets shot down because of my budget. I know what i want to run but i dont think the wallet is gonna be goin for it :(

Back