You can type here any text you want

How much to go 10's $2699

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Here is the cheap stuff I did not see in your sig that will help a lot

Test Pipe
MBC
Power Plate

What are you tuning with?

To bad vendors are still recommending 42# injectors, they are a total waste of time. Now you have to upgrade again and get a set of 57's and be done with it (stock ecm). They will idle probably better than the 42's and offer you a safer high ten pass with the single pump.

Forget about the TE60, if you are going to ported heads, run at least a TE63 in the .63. And from what others with ported heads have said, the new PT67 in the .63 with ported heads has a similar spool to the smaller turbos but killer power.

So i really dont need a larger plenum, T/B, or PP intake, or modified T/b to hit tens right. Will it make a big difference or no?

If you are on a "budget", DO THE WORK YOURSELF!!!

If you can unplug connectors, and loosen and tighten bolts, you can swap out a cam and heads yourself. It's not rocket science!

Ross

Originally posted by V8killR4U
So i really dont need a larger plenum, T/B, or PP intake, or modified T/b to hit tens right. Will it make a big difference or no?

Could you guys answer that question for me. Do i need all the port and polish work and bigger plenum and T/B

Originally posted by ross87t
If you can unplug connectors, and loosen and tighten bolts, you can swap out a cam and heads yourself. It's not rocket science!

I disagree. You still have to worry about torque specs for putting the heads back on. Adjusting the rockers, installing the cam sensor, and other miscellaneous things take time and know how.

I haven't seen anyone mention the single most important factor in going fast

the weight of the car........!

it is a lot easier to do it with a 3200 lb car than a 3800 lb car

I dunno, but those that have posted who have actually RUN 10's prolly had a car that was less than "normal" weight

for a full weight car (like mine 3720) it takes a bunch of power and you aren't gonna get there without a lot of expense

(when you see times in the 10's and speeds below 125, you know the car is light.....)

Originally posted by blackshoebox
I disagree. You still have to worry about torque specs for putting the heads back on. Adjusting the rockers, installing the cam sensor, and other miscellaneous things take time and know how.

It only takes the turn of a "torque" wrench to torque bolts.
I didn't think the stock rockers were adjustable??? You just torque them down to the correct specs.

I didn't say any moron could do the job in a day. I realize it takes time and "know how", but you don't have to be a complete genius to do a cam/heads swap on one of these cars. Anyone with basic mechanical skills could do it.

12.4 @115 1.9-2 60ft

With the mods already on your car, traction & good gas / race tune you should be able to run some solid 11.7's ~ 11.5's as it is! Spend some time tuning the car to it's full potential before you start throwing parts at it!!!!

IMHO your shopping list should consist of a scan tool, a set of rear control arms ( HRPartsNStuff.com ) a good chip guy to burn something for your car's combo and either a xylene blend or alky kit for "fun" mode & some C16 for KILL mode....

Doug C.

I love these throw parts at it threads and with a wave of the majic Buick Fairy Wand(BFW) :D all of a sudden..kabaam 10.999

My interpretation is you have someone including labor costs in the thread. This to me tells me of a certain tuning inexperience/Buick inexperience. Heads and cam require experience and procedures to change. Especially when your expecting them to "hold up". Prep, torque, breakin, retorque, attention to detail..is golden, and if not followed..kaboom..there goes the HG sending who knows what into the oil pan. Yes any yahoo can change parts.. but its all in the details.

V8killR4U, if I were making a recommendation, get your car to run the fastest it can on the stock parts and learn the car. the seat time and tuning knowledge gained cannot be replaced with a keyboard. And I will bet after you run the car at the track over a couple hundred times and not break it, you'll have a solid platform to move on. Leave the stock heads alone and really learn to tune the car. You can go ahead and spend the money on transmission/converter, tires(slicks), fuel system, and suspension.. and take it from there. This way you wont have any disappointments. Leave the modded motor for last.. Post back up after youve been past the hazing of running the car for months on the edge.. and not broken it. Once you get your merit badge..then work onmaking more power

To quote Jack Cotton.. at higher power levels.. "things happen really fast". Unless you have the experience to know what and when.. keep that power on a leash until you've learned what to do with it.

Peace guys.. Build a 9 second car to run 10's without experience. And 9 second cars dont come for 2600 including labor.

;) Plenty of 9 second combo's running 13's..

Originally posted by azgn
I haven't seen anyone mention the single most important factor in going fast

the weight of the car........!

it is a lot easier to do it with a 3200 lb car than a 3800 lb car

I dunno, but those that have posted who have actually RUN 10's prolly had a car that was less than "normal" weight

for a full weight car (like mine 3720) it takes a bunch of power and you aren't gonna get there without a lot of expense

(when you see times in the 10's and speeds below 125, you know the car is light.....)

Woody,

You are exactly correct. The lighter the car, the faster it goes at any given HP level. That's part of my formula! My car weights in at 3200 lbs. and I'm working to get it to 3000. I'll pickup another 2 tenths with no other changes.

Don't forget if you want to run tens you need a 6 point roll bar. I don't know why "us" Buick people think a roll bar on a fast car is an good idea for everyone but "us":confused:

Jusy my 2 cents

Hey v8killr4u look man in real world you goin to have to do what you want the car's combo has some mid 11s in it and you should really hone your tunin capabilty before you try to grow and spend some money on tunin equip ,if you hadn't already . I myself have learn to tune these cars alot in the past yrs. and have gradually work my car down in the ets and up mph iwant a 10 with a stock long block ,but the bottm line is I will not destroy my car to do it . I believe you learn your tune and do some upgrades you will achieve your goal ,but it all about the tune you can throw 10,000 dollars at it and still be in the 12s in the long run a serious tuner with good knowledge of his car can go faster cheaper just my .02 :D :D

randy

Originally posted by V8killR4U
Could you guys answer that question for me. Do i need all the port and polish work and bigger plenum and T/B

I run a stock upper plenum and throttle body. I'd spend your money elsewhere before getting either one of these pieces.

I honestly think that you can not go with too big of a turbo or injector. Try and buy one of each that will last you a long time... otherwise you'll just be buying larger ones later on down the road. If you are shooting for the 10's, I wouldn't go with anything less than a 55# injector.

Hope that helps.

-Banning.

Originally posted by strikeeagle
When you pull the block to install ported irons figure on $3,500 parts and labor just to do the requisite stuff that tags along with heads. And we ain't talking a shortblock rebuild, either - nothing so glamorous as that.

I asked this same ??? of Nick M. a short while ago.

I'd figured $5,000.

Speed ain't cheap, my friend!

:D

3500.00 thats way to much . I charge 500.00 labor plus 150.00 in parts oil and coolant , takes most of the day to pull the mtr swap heads and put back in . 1195.00 for a set of Champion ported heads and your ready to go ,Even less if you do the work yourself .

Mark

The TR community is especially enamoured with the notion that these cars can go 12, 11, 10, 9, whatever for little or nothing. Yet, we all have boxes full of receipts. Go figure???

True dat strikeeagle

With the mods already on your car, traction & good gas / race tune you should be able to run some solid 11.7's ~ 11.5's as it is! Spend some time tuning the car to it's full potential before you start throwing parts at it!!!!

Definatly True dat dconner

V8killR4U, if I were making a recommendation, get your car to run the fastest it can on the stock parts and learn the car. the seat time and tuning knowledge gained cannot be replaced with a keyboard.

and True dat Razor

Sounds like a future member of the DTC club. Also we've all seen direct scan records showing zero knock and the crank is sitting out there on the track. These motors do have limits no matter how there tuned and somebody on a budjet and no experience is asking for trouble pushing it like that. Good Luck and take it slow.

Back