How to reduce PS fluid temps on HydroBoost Conversion

1KWIKSIX

I know I'm anal, but Was a little concerned with 194deg F PS fluid temps after only a 1 hour highway drive the other week. No road racing, no autocross just a gentle highway driving with minimal turning and braking. Was worried that the PS fluid temps would soar when the car was pushed hard.
My black PSC Aluminum PS fluid reservoir was 152deg F, so it is dissipating heat as designed (even though it's tucked in deeper & closer to the engine than the short factory plastic PS reservoir)

I installed a De Rale Frame Rail 17-1/2" 2 pass power steering cooler with -6AN connections in the low pressure line leaving the steering box and connects to the PSC reservoir low pressure return with 3/8" ID high pressure Push Lok hose & fittings.

I also replaced my mineral based PS fluid with Valvoline VR-1 Racing Synthetic PS Fluid. (supposed to lower fluid temperatures & perform better at elevated temps).

After a short 1 mile drive PS fluid temps were 145deg F.
FYI, this is a 30deg F temperature drop from the 175deg F on same 1 mile test drive performed prior to the above changes & install.

Note: PS cooler is mounted behind grill, on lower edge of radiator support (outside of engine compartment) , where it will get some nice cool air when moving.

Attachments

• De Rale Frame Rail 2 pass Power Steering Cooler.jpg
    De Rale Frame Rail 2 pass Power Steering Cooler.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 96
So you have a few options.

1) Bigger cooler.
2) Call Turn one: https://www.turnone-steering.com/ . They specialize in Saginaw power steering equipment and sell re-manufactured blueprinted steering parts. Their Saginaw power steering pump uses at least 3hp less than a regular parts store pump. That's 2,237 watts less energy being consumed by the pump, which is a LOT of heat. When my current parts store pump craps, I'm getting one of theirs.

Since the Hydroboost is going to put heat into the fluid and work the pump all the time, I think a more efficient pump would net you huge reductions in fluid temperatures.

Forgot to mention that I’ve got a blue printed Saginaw PS pump with AN fittings, modified for HydroBoost set up by Sweet Mfg in Kalamazoo Mich installed already.

Forgot to mention that I’ve got a blue printed Saginaw PS pump with AN fittings, modified for HydroBoost set up by Sweet Mfg in Kalamazoo Mich installed already.

Well, that makes it easy, bigger cooler!

145 deg isn't bad at all. What are you shooting for? You said you started out at 194 I think that's a solid reduction

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

145 deg isn't bad at all. What are you shooting for? You said you started out at 194 I think that's a solid reduction

Was hoping for a 15deg to 20deg temperature reduction, which I’ve surpassed. Am thinking after a more spirited drive pushing the brakes & steering functions, that this will be achieved!

Was hoping for a 15deg to 20deg temperature reduction, which I’ve surpassed. Am thinking after a more spirited drive pushing the brakes & steering functions, that this will be achieved!

From the reading online I have done I think your fine where you're at. Take it out beat on it and see what she does. I bet your temps are still within range

I've read some forums where guys got up to 280deg and noticed performance issues. Anything below 200 or 180 seems good

From the reading online I have done I think your fine where you're at. Take it out beat on it and see what she does. I bet your temps are still within range

I've read some forums where guys got up to 280deg and noticed performance issues. Anything below 200 or 180 seems good

The issue is fluid life and what those temps do to the seals in the system.

The issue is fluid life and what those temps do to the seals in the system.
Agree but your temps are more then cool enough. Issues come when your run a rack n pinion

Update: Took the car out for a spirited drive again today in much hotter weather. Temperature was 85 def F and sunny (no clouds).
After a 1 hour drive through winding country roads and a short jaunt back home on the highway......pulled into my garage and checked Power Steering Fluid Temps with a digital thermometer = 179deg F. The aluminum bodied PSC PS reservoir temp was also 179deg F. So it looks like the addition of both my De Rale 17.5" 2 pass frame rail mount PS cooler + Valvoline Pro V Synthetic PS fluid I got from Randy Sweet (https://sweetmfg.biz/home.php) has been able to reduce the PS fluid temps by about 15deg F. So, I guess all is good!

Here's an interesting article by Tom Lee or Lee Power Steering regarding PS Fluid Temps:
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-1112-power-steering-coolers/

Attachments

• Sweet Mfg -Valvoline Pro V Power Steering Fluid.jpg
    Sweet Mfg -Valvoline Pro V Power Steering Fluid.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 68
  • De Rale Frame Rail 2 pass Power Steering Cooler.jpg
    De Rale Frame Rail 2 pass Power Steering Cooler.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 76