How to verify if engine is good?

Okay so u are doing the head gaskets ? Have you done a compression test on it ? I just think it would be a waste of time and money to have it out and not knowing the reason it came out to just slap it in another car . I'm betting the head gaskets are Toast and most likely the reason why the engine came out in the first place . Anyway seems like you will find out ether way just trying to let u know while it's a lot easier . Good luck .

Okay so u are doing the head gaskets ? Have you done a compression test on it ? I just think it would be a waste of time and money to have it out and not knowing the reason it came out to just slap it in another car . I'm betting the head gaskets are Toast and most likely the reason why the engine came out in the first place . Anyway seems like you will find out ether way just trying to let u know while it's a lot easier . Good luck .

I understand its probably better just to do a rebuilt, but the guy I bought the motor from pulled it off his wreck GN. The motor looks really clean and unopened all ORIGINAL. He did say it has 80k miles, I am tearing the motor down the TB and PLENUM gaskets look really clean. besides the water pump, valve covers and probably the intake wont tell till pulled off, even the motor oil looks clean. the only issue I see its the motor being really dry. I'll pull the intake manifold and oil pan off to inspect, then RE-OIL and prime it an turn it over a few times. Would like to get it running as is before a rebuild if possible. How can I check if the head gaskets are bad?

Thanks

How can I check if the head gaskets are bad?

Compression check will tell you.

What's the goal here? Do you want it in the car and running cheap, or do you want it in the car right and good for another thirty years?

At 80K miles, it's going to be nearly due for bearing service anyway. The service parts for these engines (bearings and gaskets) are still really cheap.

Compression check will tell you.

What's the goal here? Do you want it in the car and running cheap, or do you want it in the car right and good for another thirty years?

At 80K miles, it's going to be nearly due for bearing service anyway. The service parts for these engines (bearings and gaskets) are still really cheap.

How much would i be looking for a bearing and gaskets job? I know basic machanics. I have done many ls swap and worked on those motors. I would want the motor to last for daily driven along to play around with it. My first car was a GN so im still buick guy from heart. Here's pics of motor without intakes manifold.

Attachments

• 20170425_193021.jpg
    20170425_193021.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 126
  • 20170425_193025.jpg
    20170425_193025.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 93
  • 20170425_193108(0).jpg
    20170425_193108(0).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 95
You are right there pull the head off and put new gaskets in there . 8 more bolts and they are off

Pull the oil pan and a main cap.. I would just clean it up and run it

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

AutoZone has them for cheap or most parts stores. Or just rent it. But for 20 bucks I wpukr just by it

Last edited:
A little update today, painted the engine, and tomorrow I would be priming the motor.

Attachments

• 20170429_185635.jpg
    20170429_185635.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 96
  • 20170429_174829.jpg
    20170429_174829.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 92
When you prime it i like to spin The motor over by hand alittle at a time. Also like to see oil come up to the rockers

So how did the compression test come out? You can make it pretty doesn't mean it's going to run well .

When you prime it i like to spin The motor over by hand alittle at a time. Also like to see oil come up to the rockers

Here's a few more pics what you think.

Attachments

• 20170501_184414.jpg
    20170501_184414.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 82
  • 20170501_184457.jpg
    20170501_184457.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 99
  • 20170501_184501.jpg
    20170501_184501.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 92
Clean the pickup screen, pull a cap or 2 and have a look. Once you see the bearings I'd run it

Yea you could end up like me yesterday when I pulled apart my motor . IMG_8611.JPG IMG_8622.JPG And you keep throwing pictures up that no one can tell you prob what you want to hear . O yea that thing looks mint I would run it .pull a cap off check out the bearings as stated If they look good get a torque wrench and torque them back down to 100ft lbs . Also a compression test will tell you so much about a motors health I'm not just saying it because i want you to go through some unnecessary stuff bud .

Leakdown test it after pulling a few caps

Leakdown test it after pulling a few caps

Even better .

It seems like he is hesitant to pull the heads and or caps for some reason I guess it could be intimidating if it's your first time but if you are about to swap a engine you have enough mechanical ability to pull the caps and or head IMO .

Yea you could end up like me yesterday when I pulled apart my motor . View attachment 302600 View attachment 302601 And you keep throwing pictures up that no one can tell you prob what you want to hear . O yea that thing looks mint I would run it .pull a cap off check out the bearings as stated If they look good get a torque wrench and torque them back down to 100ft lbs . Also a compression test will tell you so much about a motors health I'm not just saying it because i want you to go through some unnecessary stuff bud .

Thanks, i appreciate all the input ill be doing that, plus im already there too.

Clean the pickup screen, pull a cap or 2 and have a look. Once you see the bearings I'd run it

Okay, so I prime the motor today, oil did come out, of the push rods.. there was only was that hardly did. Once turning the motor by hand I was only able to do half turn then it became hard to spin didnt want to force anything. What can be the issue or what can I do? Should I wait till cracking with starter?

Okay, so I prime the motor today, oil did come out, of the push rods.. there was only was that hardly did. Once turning the motor by hand I was only able to do half turn then it became hard to spin didnt want to force anything. What can be the issue or what can I do? Should I wait till cracking with starter?

ALL the spark plugs were out, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk