I have finally join the blown head gasket club

SloGN

I'm a ASSHOLE.....
just like the title says. went to the track today had several good passes.

ran some 7.50's- 7.40's and a 7.36 then the head gasket went boom in the middle of second gear.

Was having issues with boost commander boost controller it would leave the line and right before the shift into second gear it would be @ 25 psi then it would shift into second and stay @ 21.5-22 psi per the fast data logs thru out the run.

this was happening all day till the headgasket popped. and caused some other issues on the datalogger.

Hey at least you got several passes in first!!!
I trailered mine from St Louis to Indiana for the Midwest Challenge to do some tuning with Jack Cotton. Popped a gasket on the FIRST run!!! Ran a 7.37 short time and only a 12.58 quarter.
Oh well, new GN1's and a 218/218 roller on the way.:biggrin:
Bryan

Hg Club

I joined a couple of weeks ago!!!:mad: It does allow for some mods though!!!:biggrin: It blew before the 1000ft mark and I rolled through to a 12.11 @ 111.5 with out the converter locked, on pump and alky.

Sorry to hear that Pat. Hope it didn't hurt anything but the gasket.

i will not know till i get a chance to tear into it. It has not lost any oil or water. it's just skipping and has lots of blowby coming out of the breathers. The oil is still nice and clean. I just hope it the gaskets instead of the piston.

The blown head gasket club is a rite of passage. I recently joined the spun bearing club. Don't go there.

i lost a headgasket right off the line last year. well it lifted the head off the line. ran a 12.6 @108 without looking the converter

Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

Just one question though, looking at your data logs, was the program pulling fuel out just before the shifts, or was it adding fuel just before the shifts?

I'll never forget what Joe Lubrant told me a long time ago. "You never want the program to be pulling (subtracting) fuel just before a shift. If anything, it's better to be adding fuel. Pulling fuel just before a shift can lead to blown head gaskets."

Just thought I'd throw that out there. It's probably something that you and a lot of other people already know about the FAST and BS3 systems tho.
Definitely keep us posted on your progress and findings. My guess is, it pushed them out the sides of #3 and #4.

Patrick

That sucks sorry to hear that :frown: Well, time to learn how to do it yourself because I can guarantee you this will not be the last time. Just wait tell you join the cracked in half block club. That's an expensive club to be apart of. ;)

I am in the club also, i lost a head gasket early this year, at he track about 1/8 mile, it lifted the head and blew out the coolant passage, spewed coolant all over out the overflow! Still ran 12.6@103 lifting at 1/8 mile when it went lol!! They aren't all that bad to do, just time consuming, other than that its simple and straight forward.

Good Luck,Dan

That sucks sorry to hear that :frown: Well, time to learn how to do it yourself because I can guarantee you this will not be the last time. Just wait tell you join the cracked in half block club. That's an expensive club to be apart of. ;)

yeah i know to do it. i installed the ported heads and other stuff 2 yrs ago. so i am happy that they have lasted this long.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

Just one question though, looking at your data logs, was the program pulling fuel out just before the shifts, or was it adding fuel just before the shifts?

I'll never forget what Joe Lubrant told me a long time ago. "You never want the program to be pulling (subtracting) fuel just before a shift. If anything, it's better to be adding fuel. Pulling fuel just before a shift can lead to blown head gaskets."

Just thought I'd throw that out there. It's probably something that you and a lot of other people already know about the FAST and BS3 systems tho.
Definitely keep us posted on your progress and findings. My guess is, it pushed them out the sides of #3 and #4.

Patrick

Patrick

do you have fast on your car? if so would you like to take a look at my datalog from that run to possiably be able to point out something funny.

there is some things there i didn't like. but i'm thinking it pulling timing @ 23 psi was because of the gaskets going bye bye.

i was using a mix of 6 gallons of 114 and i had maybe 3 gallons of 93 int he tank.The last run was the only run that logged any spark knock. one thing that it also done was while it was pulling timing the boost was rising. Is that normal. i was running 20 degrees of timing in my upper spark tables. and i have the fast system set to pull a max of 15 degrees.

Head Gasket

I BLEW MINE SATURDAY GETTING READY TO GO TO THE TRACK,I HAD TO TRAILER MY CAR TO THE AUTOFAIR BECAUSE THE POWERMASTER WENT OUT FRIDAY BEFORE THE SHOW,FINALLY GOT EVERYTHING BACK TOGETHER AFTER CONVERTING TO VACUMN,TOOK THE CAR AROUND THE BLOCK TO TRY EVERYTHING OUT BEFORE I LOADED IT UP TO GO RACING,LEFT THE STOP LIGHT AND DECIDED TO SHOW OFF AND BOOM,MSD BOX WENT OUT ON ME,WHEN I BOLTED UP THE VACUMN BOOSTER I CUT THE WIRE TO THE MSD AND I SHORTED OUT AND HEADGASKETS DECIDED TO SEE HOW THE OIL PAN LOOKED,MINE BLEW SO BAD THAT THE COOPER WIRE IN THE GASKET WRAPPED AROUND ONE OF THE PUSHRODS,AND SO MUCH COMPRESSION WENT INTO THE LIFTER VALLEY THAT IT EVEN BLEW THE VALLEY PAN GASKET,NOT A GOOD DAY BUT HEADS ARE IN THE MACHINE SHOP AND SHOULD BE BACK TOGETHER BY NEXT WEEKEND,I HOPE.:confused: