You can type here any text you want

I just picked up a used Engine What should be done to it before dropping it in???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I just bought a Long Block from a member here its suppose to be in good working order.
what are the normal things you guys look at before dropping it in??
this is my list
1-New rear main seal
2-Timing cover gasket
3-Oil pan gasket
4-Red Lock-tight on the screws that hold the oil pick-up tube
5- One year old Comp 980s Valve springs
6-Valve stem seals
7-Roller Timing set
8-Intake Manifold gasket
9-Modified Stock replacement Engine mounts
Should i install
10-Timing Roller spring???

Is there anything that i am missing?

thanks for your help guys.

I picked up used motors twice. I put them in as they were. Added fresh oil and filter. Went racing! No point in taking off the rear cap, its still going to leak. Oil pan gasket, well if its really bad...i guess. If it has the plastic timing gear replace that. That's about it. Keep it simple.

I haven't had good luck with used engines. I would also check bearings while ya have the pan off. :cool:

Murphy is usually my right hand man
i hope that he hangs out with some one else for a little wile and gives me a break.:mad:

The oil pan gasket is in need of replacement so while i am already there might as well.

Bearings - I'll ask my friend to come over and check them out for me as knows these engines very well.

Anything else that should get attention?

thanks guys for your help.

Whats wrong with the one on the engine? Do you not trust who you purchased it from, or were they unsure of the history of the engine?

Whats wrong with the one on the engine? Do you not trust who you purchased it from, or were they unsure of the history of the engine?

Nothing that i know of, thats why it wasn't on the list.
My answer was that IF i needed one id buy on and not try to make one on my own.

the seller told me - "When i got the car it was totaled (hit in the rear) I just drove it into the shop and it sounded good"

So its not that i don't believe him its they are unsure of the history of the engine"

So in trying to save my self some trouble later id like to do a much as possible while its out of the car.

On the Main bearings- I spoke with my friend yesterday he said that when i look at the Rear one (doing the rear main seal) to just look at that one.

He also suggested that i check the lift on the cam by rotating the engine by hand and to look at the amount of lifter travel.

I once bought a long block that was a good runner. When I got it home and tore it down it had a wiped lobe on the cam and the crank will need turning. I would think while you have it out you may consider gaskets, bearings, and rings. Tear it down and find out what you have. It would be a real pisser to put it in and find out it has to come back out.

Where is the other motor you were building? :confused: This is going to become a long costly thread...

I bought a used turbo motor about five years ago, and I'm going to install it in the EL Camino hybrid project I'm in the middle of. When I bought it, I took the heads off and pulled out the lifters which showed virtually no wear which made me feel confident the engine was 100%. I bagged the motor and forgot about it. Of course, that I was going to use it now, I pulled the pan, and when I pulled off the #3 cap, the bearing fell out of the cap and the crank was grooved. Apparently some headgasket material from a previous head gasket failure did some damage to the crank. Fortunately I had a standard crank and new bearings laying around and I installed them. Sure, it was a running motor with no telltale signs of internal damage the previous owner was aware of, and that I could have just installed without checking, but why would I not at least check the bearings when it's sitting there on an engine stand right in front of me and I can check them or even replace them rather easily and cheaply if I feel it's necessary.

Pull the lifters one at a time to check for cupping on the bottom without the intake on thats as simple as removing the rocker arms.
Will do
thanks
I once bought a long block that was a good runner. When I got it home and tore it down it had a wiped lobe on the cam and the crank will need turning. I would think while you have it out you may consider gaskets, bearings, and rings. Tear it down and find out what you have. It would be a real pisser to put it in and find out it has to come back out.
I would have a meltdown if that happens.
Where is the other motor you were building? :confused: This is going to become a long costly thread...
i going to do A LOT of work to that to that other motor - Caps, heads, roller cam and port everything. So i got this engine for some instant gratification.
I bought a used turbo motor about five years ago, and I'm going to install it in the EL Camino hybrid project I'm in the middle of. When I bought it, I took the heads off and pulled out the lifters which showed virtually no wear which made me feel confident the engine was 100%. I bagged the motor and forgot about it. Of course, that I was going to use it now, I pulled the pan, and when I pulled off the #3 cap, the bearing fell out of the cap and the crank was grooved. Apparently some headgasket material from a previous head gasket failure did some damage to the crank. Fortunately I had a standard crank and new bearings laying around and I installed them. Sure, it was a running motor with no telltale signs of internal damage the previous owner was aware of, and that I could have just installed without checking, but why would I not at least check the bearings when it's sitting there on an engine stand right in front of me and I can check them or even replace them rather easily and cheaply if I feel it's necessary.

You are right Red, might as well check everything.
But i won't be pulling the heads unless i find something wrong with the bottom half

OK
what is the likely hood of damaging something while checking??
is it as simple as just unbolting the caps and looking at the bearings and crank?
Then placing the cap and bearing back into its original place and torquing it back down?
Should assembly lube be used when putting the lifters and caps back together?

You are right Red, might as well check everything.
But i won't be pulling the heads unless i find something wrong with the bottom half

OK
what is the likely hood of damaging something while checking??
is it as simple as just unbolting the caps and looking at the bearings and crank?
Then placing the cap and bearing back into its original place and torquing it back down?
Should assembly lube be used when putting the lifters and caps back together?

I don't remember why I pulled the heads on my purchased used motor 5 years ago, but I'm not suggesting you should. Just spot check the main bearings and rod bearings. If they look good, and crank journal looks good, then there is no need to go further. Pull one or pull them all, there is no likelyhood of damage by just removing the cap, and putting the it back in the proper place and direction, and retorqueing it. Just make sure it is adequately lubricated with oil, or whatever lubricant you choose, when putting back in place. If there is a problem with the motor, the bearings are the place to look and will indicate other problems if any exist. ;)

Here ... read this short primer. You'll be an expert. :)

Jack Merkel Performance Engines > Engines > Buick Engines > Buick 231 Turbo V6 "Street/Strip"

thanks for the link Red

This is the Replacement engine
i just need to get a hold of an engine stand to get going on it. My stand is buried.

Attachments

• IMG_1457-internet - replacement.JPG
    IMG_1457-internet - replacement.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 542
  • IMG_1458-internet-replacement.JPG
    IMG_1458-internet-replacement.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 545
Back