I stumped an entire autozone parts store today

GSTOY

Ok this was almost too good not to share. Went into Autozone tonight to pickup a head gasket and I asked the clerk if they carried plastiguage. He looks at me like I'm smoking crack...oh you mean feeler guages right, I say no, and try to explain it to him. He still has no clue. Next in line, the store manager, he also thought it was a feeler guage, I once again say no and try to explain to him...he's still clueless, so he starts asking other employees in the store....this is getting good..not a single sole knows what the hell I'm talking about. Then out of nowhere, a off duty clerk who works at another AZ store comes in, and the manger asks him, and he goes yea, it's over by the main bearings and stuff. He literally walks in, shows another employee where it's at, and presto chango...I have my plastiguage. Ya gotta love it, I stumped a entire store on plastiguage :biggrin: :biggrin:

Steve

i used to stump people whenever i went to buy parts for my 71 Nova with '94 Corvette front brakes, 66 Corvette T10 trans, 74 Nova rear end, 77 Chevell master cylinder, 87 Caprice block, 56 nomad front srpings, and 96 truck vortec heads.
when i ordered the Moog suspension bushings, they wanted an application becasue they didn't trust my parts list- so i told them it was a '69 Z/28 with a 427, which allowed them to feel superior when they told me that a Z/28 never had a 427..

It's not hard. I asked for some 1/2" open end bulge acorn lug nuts. Numbnutz of course asked, "for what vehicle?". I said it did not matter, I need 1/2" open end bulge acorn lug nuts. He says he needs an application. I tell him 87 Regal. I wait for him to get me the wrong ones. I tell him "see? it did not matter". I go back there and find that they only had 1 of what I need. :mad:
I go to the next store. They of course ask for what vehicle.:mad: :mad: :mad:

I go to Napa, a little out of my way..... the ol' fella walks straight to the back and brings me what I need.

Everytime I go to the parts store I want to choke a b!tch. If it is not in the computer and I have to point to the catalogs right behind (for something more involved than lug nuts) them they look at me like I've lost my mind.

Sad but true- Their computer is set up by vehicle application, similar to my shop (tire shop). If you want to get the right stuff, right away- You go to the old guys :)

John

Auto-zoners....that's what I call them. They aren't good for anything but windshield wipers and oil filters...:rolleyes:

To give you an idea, AZ has decided that they don't need parts pros anymore and the puter is the king. I worked for them for 5 years and the employees got dumber while I was there. They want to prove that you don't need to know anything about a car to sell parts and so far they haven't proved it. When I left the CEO was from wally world and started putting candy and soda in the stores. He even had toys to sell to the kiddies. This is the mentality of the people in charge so why is this a suprise?

come on sean play nice

I work at Autozone and kinda know what I'm talking about. it dont mean much, but I'm ASE certified parts sales.

By the way I know what plasti - guage is and where to get it. I know all the part numbers to all the crazy parts people ask for. Condensors, the dielectric grease that goes under ign. modules etc.

I know that there are fellow employees that are less qualified than me, but all of the more qualified parts sales people work at the dealerships (normally). I am working here temporarily until I can find a teaching job (my degree).

I've been working for AZ for 5 years part time and I still amaze my managers and customers with my knowledge of shade tree methods, part numbers, and customer service.

Not flaming, just saying don't assume every az employee is a complete idiot.

Jerry

Here's one for you.

I can't remember if it was Autozone or Advance...but I had a 71 Chevelle once....with a big block V8...in '71 if you ordered a Chevelle from the factory with a big block it was either a 402 or a 454....yet when I went to order parts the computer did not show a 402, only a 454.....so if I went to order anything I had to tell them a 454 or otherwise they'd proceed to tell me they were smarter than I was because the computer said so.

I first learned this when i had a V8 S-10 and was trying to order parts...the clerk looked at me like I was nuts because S-10's were not avaliable with V8's according to his computer. No duh!

Wow, and some old hot rodders had V8 Vegas in the 70's, Vegas never had anything other than 4 cylinders....bet back then everyone knew what to get you when you told them what you had. Bet back then at the parts houses there were real car guys that actually knew what to look for, no matter what it was in.

Here's a good one....walk in and tell them you need to order a radiator for a 1968 VW Beetle. :biggrin:

And if you really want to test their knowledge....well...ask for the blinker fluid...or exhaust bearings....or maybe a 710 cap. :wink:

Last week I called Poop Boys looking to see if they had sparkplugs I wanted. I asked specificly for the ones I wanted but the dude wants to know the app. I know it's not going to show because they are colder plugs and tell him that. He insists. Tells me all the ones that fit, not the ones I want. Finally I ask him to see if he has the ones I want. He says no so I hang up. I don't know why I even bother. They never have what I want but are only a mile down the road. Called Advanced and got a clerk that had a brain. He quickly looked up the number and they had 14 in stock. Good, I'll be right down. I never have luck with NAPA. I don't like the counter guy there either. I don't mind if they are not knowlegable on older cars or special parts as long as they know how to use the computer or the catalog.

I work at Autozone and kinda know what I'm talking about. it dont mean much, but I'm ASE certified parts sales.

By the way I know what plasti - guage is and where to get it. I know all the part numbers to all the crazy parts people ask for. Condensors, the dielectric grease that goes under ign. modules etc.

I know that there are fellow employees that are less qualified than me, but all of the more qualified parts sales people work at the dealerships (normally). I am working here temporarily until I can find a teaching job (my degree).

I've been working for AZ for 5 years part time and I still amaze my managers and customers with my knowledge of shade tree methods, part numbers, and customer service.

Not flaming, just saying don't assume every az employee is a complete idiot.

Jerry

Thank you... This happens in EVERY parts house somewhere. AZ didn't become number 1 by accident. They didn't trip and fall into the lead.

I can do better than that guys. Last weekend I went to the local o'reallys to get a 7/32 socket. I asked for it and no lie they said "Is that a metric size?"

Then I looked at them like they had a third eye.

I went in once asking for a radiator cap for a 73 Super Beetle they searched for like 20 minutes then told me it was a dealer only part :eek: :biggrin:

I went in once asking for a radiator cap for a 73 Super Beetle they searched for like 20 minutes then told me it was a dealer only part :eek: :biggrin:

Now that's just plain mean............ On 2nd thought, naaahh... that's funny as $hit!!!!

For you NC guys that live near Garner, there is a place called Loop Road Auto Parts. Its an old school place with guys that actually know what they are talking about. And they actually look in a BOOK to find some parts. Its one of the BEST places I have ever went into, they have or can get almost anything.

They want to prove that you don't need to know anything about a car to sell parts and so far they haven't proved it.

I read somewhere that is the goal. The idea being that your customer base doesn't know chit about cars so the employees shouldn't know that much either. It accomplishes several things. Like bad attitude and poor customer service is eliminated. Also you don't have customers using the hourly guys for free advice. In other words the customers are parts changers and you want them to buy more parts. More parts equall more profits.

I mean really. Anybody ever see the Johnny Knoxville movie "The Ringer"?Saying you out smarted AZ is kinda of like saying you beat a retarded kid in an IQ test. No offense intended towards the mentally handicaped or dedicated AZ guys who post here.;)

Thank you... This happens in EVERY parts house somewhere. AZ didn't become number 1 by accident. They didn't trip and fall into the lead.
you don't think it has anything to do with catering to the high illegal immigrant population by having bilingual parts pushers? ;)

Never met a AZ employee that knew anything but I still shop there from time to time. They are right down the street and open Sundays. Thats more likely the reason they are #1. :rolleyes: Surly not for employee knowledge.

On the other side of the coin, you can't pay these people a lot of money for that position. Just like everything else in this world, you get what you pay for.