You can type here any text you want

Intake manifold tract airflow distribution...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NCTURBOS

Gettin' back in action!!
Staff member
I should have run compression/leak down tests before I started tearing it down... :rolleyes: More pics & info to follow... ;)

K.

Attachments

• Scott S. 005.jpg
    Scott S. 005.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 832
  • Scott S. 006.jpg
    Scott S. 006.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 820
if the heads are still on you can still leak it....

:)

Bob

So is an exhaust valve not opening (carbon) while spraying alky (clean rear ports)? Did it have an RJC plate? I'm not good with reading between the lines.

TurboBob said:
if the heads are still on you can still leak it....

:)

Bob

Yes... ;)

turboclam3 said:
So is an exhaust valve not opening (carbon) while spraying alky (clean rear ports)? Did it have an RJC plate? I'm not good with reading between the lines.

Dual nozzle Alky, Accufab 70mm, Precision Plenum, RJC powerplate, 10-sec. stock motored car...

K.

Been following your post over at speedtalk. Was there a decision on what's happening with it?

Been following your post over at speedtalk. Was there a decision on what's happening with it?

Not quite the response I was expecting over there, but Carl is spot on with needing to monitor and datalog all six cylinders for the absolute truth. I do know I've had three different cars, somewhat recently, with some simularities in combinations but at different levels of performance with common issues.

I'm currently on some deadlines to finish other motors/cars, so this one is taking a "back burner" for the next 4-6 weeks. A leakdown test and tear down of the motor will happen at that time. I expect to see the same as the previous two I mentioned, but at a higher failure level.

FWIW... I had been in touch with Joe Mondello about this. He had the top-of-the-line Superflow flowbench, setup for wet flow testing, and we were going to do some. However that went out the window with his untimely death this past spring. In discussion with him though, even that could not duplicate our boost pressures...

K.

Here is one theory. Firing order is 1-6-5-4-3-2. Those two back cylinders are drawing the alcohol/air mixture adjacently. Those rear, adjacently firing cylinders may be keeping the alcohol/air mixture pulled towards the rear of the intake for some period of time. I'm glad you posted this since it has helped me think about how the RJC plate guides the alcohol/air mixture.

"The fact of the matter is a large percentage of the grinds used are of such
short duration and lift that the overlap is minimal and of little use in that respect.
The idea behind the verse durtion is to minimize the backwash in
the exhaust when the back pressure becomes excessively greater than boost.
It can easily be identified when you look into your intake manifold and it looks
like an exhaust port". Dan Strezo

My first impression then would be that a lot of the alcohol injection is being slammed to the rear of the plenum and doing a good job of cleaning it. Maybe the alcohol injection point is too close to the plenum? Not enough time to vaporize into small droplet form before having to make some pretty sharp turns in the plenum?
If the atomization level of the alcohol is large enough droplets, I can see where the weight of the droplets would keep them from being able to make the turns to the more forward ports and end up being slammed to the rear portion of the plenum due to their weight.
Once slammed to the rear of the plenum, the alcohol would fall out of suspension against the plenum surface walls and be pulled down into the rear cylinders, doing a great job of cleaning the surface walls.

Curious, what is the reason that your tearing this motor apart for?

I have no clue, I'm a 3rd grader when it comes to things like this. Just curious to know what's going on. Fill us in with the whole story.

Curious, what is the reason that your tearing this motor apart for?

According to the owner headgasket failure. I just haven't had the time yet to dive into it any further...

K.

Back