You can type here any text you want

Intake Manifold

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

231_natural

Whats the best after market intake for a N/A non computer controlled 231? The three that I know of are: kenn bell, e brock performer, or the 4.1 swap. I'm not wondering whats the best bargain, but what offers the best performance with good street driveability.

Thanks much.

I think it really depends on what carb you are going to use. The 4.1L swap is a great combo if you want to stick with the Q-jet. The Performer is also a nice manifold for most engines when using a square bore carb. The Kenne Bell is a single plane and in my opinion a bit much for most engines unless the compression has been bumped up at least a point. I have tried all three of those on different engines and each have their own merits.

If you're going to just change the intake then fuzzy's right. Get a 4.1 intake and use a Q-jet. If you're going to do more then pick one and go for it. The biggest thing is to make sure you're emission legal. If you use a 4.1 then cut the top out and open it up quite a bit for better flow. Add a 1" hiker to add velocety to the flow and charge rate.

Thanks for the responses. I am pretty much torn between the edelbrock and the 4.1. The nice thing about the edel is that I have a lot more options for carbs. There are no emission laws where I am, so I don't see how scrapping the egr would be a big deal. To start I will just be upgrading the intake and carb, but eventually want to get deeper into the engine so I am leaning towards the performer I think.

Normally I just use a quick post but this will take a while. What I'd suggest if for you to make a "map" of what you want to do. Decide what to do first and then make some kind of budget so you can accoplish it. Pick up some books and read them to get a better idea of what you can do. "How to hotrod your buick v6" from hp books, The buick powersource book, "V6 performance" by pat ganahl, "Super power" from S-A design, and "turbochargers". These are a good start for learning about what you want to do. If you're going to piece together your car then start with the easiest Thing which is an intake. I personally prefer the 4.1 because you can put all of the factory parts back on it without any problems. Cut the 4 hole top and make it more like a holly. Add a 1" hiker to increase charge speed. Change your timing chain and add a high voulmn oil pump. Buicks suffer from oil starvation on the crank and rods so it's cheap insurance. If you do the intake at the same time as the timing cover then change your cam, but your limited to a .420 lift, but use Rhoades lifter set for better low end. Open up the exhuast but stick with 2 into 1 and then split it. It will give you better bottom end and Cut some of the exhast back flow. If you remove the heads have them cut for sbc valve seals and reduce the height so you can use a higher lift on the cam.

Thanks for the suggestions. Those books sound good, i will look into them. I understand what your saying with the 4.1 intake. Since my car is non computer controlled the only factory part I would lose using the edel intake would be the EGR. Doesn't seem like a big deal. it would save cutting up the 4.1 manifold, and I would have more options for carbs. The high volume oil pump sounds like a good idea, but why the timing chain? The cam is a whole different deal, I have no idea what I would want or how much work that would entail. Nothing overly aggressive, since it is a daily driver I would still want a decently smooth idle.

There are cams good for daily driven cars.
Like the edelbrock performer cam. Gives you a good smooth idle and bumps up te low end torque a bit.
If you going to change your chain i certainly change the cam and lifters to.
It is not that much more work to do.
It will really help increasing the torque and power of the engine with the right combination intake/carb and exhaust.

I have the 4.1 and the Edelbrock. I Liked the Edelbrock more...more kick. Good idea to put the 1" hiker.....go for the phenolic type. Problem with the Edel is the height. I'm sure you don't want to do some cutting to the hood.

Find low profile filtration, (max 2"...Edelbroke has it). With the hiker you'll hit the hood lighly. (I had to cut and modify the X on the hood).:cool:

The reason for the timing chain is because they are the week link and if you've got the intake and timing cover off you have the valve covers off at the same time. Then all you do is take the rocker arms off. push rods out, remove the lifters, and then the cam. To instal it you reverse the process. If you want an inexpensive cam look at the 86-87 turbo cam. It will work with your heads and won't gibe you an idle issue.

Back