Is the racing dead?

Drag racing is dead. It's going to become a niche sport like bobsledding or something.

Everything that made it fun is gone. The govt, sema, and the NHRA killed it IMHO.
You can't get together with guys in a parking lot - the police show up. And this is huge. A big part of any hobby is camaraderie. No one to share your hobby with then you lose interest. Forget about street racing. Do you want to risk losing your car worth 10+ gs? Hard to even get on it on the street anymore. I was pulled over for getting on it for less than 3 seconds with completely open road ahead of me. First thing the police officer says? "WE TAKE CARS LIKE THIS"
Wanna drive around a modded car? Better keep an eye on that rearview mirror for the police "Illegal modification inspections". If you do mod your car you better pay double for CARB approved parts, original sema members really stuck it to the small guys.
NHRA is a pro drag racing organization. I've never seen them promote any kind of street car racing.

So wanna race? So cal that means..well lets see, 1 quarter mile track for all of southern california - wait 8 hours to get 1 pass (true story)
OR Drive 1 hour south to qualcomm 1/8th once or twice a month on a friday evening. Avoiding the police on the way there. Or drive all the way out to barona (DonWGs) track. In any case, it would be wise to have a trailer, truck... large investment in time and money to get a few seconds of track time in.

Those are my reasons why my Buick has been inoperable in the garage for almost 2 years now.

Instead I went and bought a beater 91 Camaro, gutted it, put some shocks springs, and huge sticky tires, left the engine stock. Now I do this
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself
Every tuesday night at adams motorsports park, I can show up, basically no tech inspection, pay 20, and have a total of ten minutes of track time at 10/10ths. Or show up friday and pay 30 for the whole night, 10 minutes at a time on the track. Enough to destroy your car if you want. The above vid was a 10 min session I cut short. Drag racing nowadays doesn't even come close to this much fun.

Just my humble opinion but I see the writing on the wall.

Remind me to stay on this side of the country!! It's nothing like that over here. I got about 10 tracks within 2 hours, 3 are within 45 minutes and one of those is 15 minutes away. I can go to a test and tune wed-sun at one of the tracks. We have 3 local cruise ins a week, never get messed with and some even have a few "contests" on the street. Sucks to see your local govt has ruined a good hobby.
There are a few around here that built their car for road racing, but drag racing is still king. They have a parking lot cone dodging event once a week around here but that doesn't seem to draw as many people as the local friday night test and tune. In fact, we have a new event someone is starting
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/tu...i-oh-area-looking-car-thing-do-thursdays.html
The "protouring" events were brought up, but aren't those for pre '72 cars to compete? Leaves the 80's Buicks out.

The Buick class racing isn't dead. THS had 16 cars at BG last year. That's a full field! You guys that choose to stay home home and complain about the events or class structuring are missing a good time. Building a car to fit a class is challenging. It makes you find ways to get the most out of your combos. Seems like everyone wants their 12 second TR with a big turbo and a signature full of parts on 18 psi to be competitive and the guy with the same parts going 2 seconds faster should be penalized for ruining the class because their stuff is turned all the way up and on the edge.
I'm out of arguments here lol. We can discuss this but some of you guys already have your minds set that these events aren't run right and you are going to stay home. So be it. See the rest of you guys in Columbus:cool: I can't wait...been building my car non stop every night getting ready for this race.

I wish we had better turn outs too but I believe it's due to too many events and whats happening is people are settling for what is close to them... I believe if some of the small old ones that are barely squeaking by were to fall to the way side you would see more people travel to the larger nicer events. Just count how many events there are right now and just imagine if about 3-4 of those dropped off what the larger events would be like. Everyone will never be able to make it to ALL the events, If there were less them more people could plan to make it to those... Just my thoughts....

The Economy!
The Gas prices!
Too Many events! Is my guess....

The classes have nothing to due with it at all, as a matter of fact the new classes generated in the last few years actually opened the doors for many more people to race their cars! so technically that should have brought More racers in...

Scot W.

Scott, I would have to disagree with you. The classes have alot to do with it. THS and TSR both limit the turbo to a 67 with an E cover. Before this billet 67 came out there were many who purchased S covers on their turbos, even on the 67's. That rule alone left me out at RC's due to TAI not even running. I am sure I am not alone in being left out of the classes. I have made the trip from west of St Louis to RC's for the last 2 events but I highly doubt I will make the trip next year. The fuel cost alone was over $600.00, + food and lodging,for what, test&tune ? I was looking forward to the road course at RC's, sorry that didn't happen. I am not complaining about the classes, they are setup for a reason.

The economy also has alot to do with it as well.

The events seem to be scheduled too close together and then a big gap with nothing.

Looks like I am out for the year with the damage to my motor but I may hit BG to just hang out.

Bryan

Oh. I thought this was a 3rd annual event. So there isn't a date set yet, but it will be next year?
What is the name of the event? Is there a location set yet?

It is always at Piedmont Dragway in the Spring. Probably in May. We are waiting for the Norwalk schedule to come out so we don't get so close on them again...

I don't know how you could miss it Don? There is an ENTIRE FORUM devoted to it. I sent out several mass emails about it. I will make sure I personally send you the info when we have it ready to go!

BTW, if anyone knows the new Norwalk date please let us know!

And you know what? They would probably build it better than you.

Way to miss the point...I'll just cut it down to the basics...You were a dick so of course people aren't gonna want to be your buddy all of a sudden.

Like I have been trying to say.
1) You have to make the racing fairer for everyone.
2) Can the rules and use a simpler racing format. There are a lot of other people besides just me that hate reading rules.

BTW, I like the wife's quote (#171). Classic.

Agreed Don!!! That's why heads up index racing to great for everybody.

NO RULES!! Except safety rules.

Sucks to live in California with all your liberal tree huggers. Where i live in Ohio, I have the choice of 4 drag strips within an hour each direction and the newest one has been open since 1964 (Norwalk) and all the others were some of the oldest dragstrips in the NATION (Dragway 42, Quaker City, and Thompson Raceway Park). Our weather may not be as good but the Midwest rocks as Ohio and Michigan have the best and most car shows, single marquee musclecar and street rod events in the nation PERIOD! There is a reason all the major events for drag racing, except NHRA which is w/e anymore anyways are all within Michigan and Ohio. Because this is the highest concentration of old cars anywhere. Also a reason you can go cruising to tons of shows and events from may to september 7 days a week. If i want hot weather ill fly to Florida for a week in the winter time! No big deal to me!;)

Go to CRUISIN' TIMES MAGAZINE - The Largest Cruiser Publication in the Midwest!, the local cruise magazine which is distributed in over 30 states and their HQ is about 40 min west of where i live. See how many events we have with a typical Saturday night cruise is about 1k cars and even a local Tuesday night cruise is 600-1000 cars as well. This is Big 3 country as you dont see people driving imports everywhere like on the coasts and in L.A. and Vegas. American patriotism is alive and well in the Midwest!;)

Way to miss the point...I'll just cut it down to the basics...You were a dick so of course people aren't gonna want to be your buddy all of a sudden.
I think you're the one missing the point. I'm not on this thread to make friends. You're the guys complaining that racing is waning. I decided to participate on this thread to shake things up a little and make you guys think. If I'm making some enemies, then so be it. I hope my efforts are at least making some of you think about the problem presented by this thread and not just sitting there boiling about how much you hate me. :biggrin:
I guess I hit a nerve with some of you. Maybe you should sit back and try to figure out why that is.
Is it because Donnie 'DARED' to show that maybe customer service was not up to par? I hope you can learn to get over it. True businessmen know how to work around problem people and in the end make them happy and eager to buy into the program. I think Clint did a great job turning things around for me. You, on the other hand, should not associate yourself with any racing event. From what I've seen so far, they don't need fellas like you helping them out. Sorry. Helping isn't the right word.

I think you're the one missing the point. I'm not on this thread to make friends. You're the guys complaining that racing is waning. I decided to participate on this thread to shake things up a little and make you guys think. If I'm making some enemies, then so be it. I hope my efforts are at least making some of you think about the problem presented by this thread and not just sitting there boiling about how much you hate me. :biggrin:
I guess I hit a nerve with some of you. Maybe you should sit back and try to figure out why that is.
Is it because Donnie 'DARED' to show that maybe customer service was not up to par? I hope you can learn to get over it. True businessmen know how to work around problem people and in the end make them happy and eager to buy into the program. I think Clint did a great job turning things around for me. You, on the other hand, should not associate yourself with any racing event. From what I've seen so far, they don't need fellas like you helping them out. Sorry. Helping isn't the right word.

Collin contributes alot at events both races and spectates. If guy's like you start hanging at events we will stop going.:eek:
We by no means are the fastest in TSM but we go to the events and have a blast.

Collin contributes alot at events both races and spectates. If guy's like you start hanging at events we will stop going.:eek:
We by no means are the fastest in TSM but we go to the events and have a blast.
Well. This is interesting. You're telling me that Collin is truly an important representative of a BUICK track event?

Please. Someone tell me. Which event is it?

I have to agree with you, Pablo. I'm sure it will eventually die out with all the old green hippies that are in office these days. But, it's not dead yet, and I'm not dead yet.
NHRA is not just the Pro classes. Contact your local track to see what non-professional NHRA classes they're running at the track. Barona runs a Summit Series that has an annual finals at a different track every year. This year, it will be Bakersfield or Vegas. It was supposed to be Fontana this year, but the noise hippies are trying to shut it down so they cancelled the event there.

It may be dead/dieing out were you guys live, and I know it because I used to live out there.

But it certainly is not dead or even slowing down out in the Eastern half of the county. It's a huge and thriving sport out here!!

The only points I was trying to hit on this thread is to make it easier for the ordinary "joe" off the street to compete. (non class racing)

Well. This is interesting. You're telling me that Collin is truly an important representative of a BUICK track event?

Please. Someone tell me. Which event is it?

I represent no races...I just appreciate everything the people that make the races happen do and when they get **** on it ticks me off.

I'm out of here guys, I'll see you guys at the races (those of you that will show up).

I represent no races...I just appreciate everything the people that make the races happen do and when they get **** on it ticks me off.

I'm out of here guys, I'll see you guys at the races (those of you that will show up).

Don't leave! PM sent!

Don't leave! PM sent!

I got it Shane, and I hear ya but I feel like anyone that's gonna see my side of it already has. Donnie and I going back and forth isn't going to add anything else of value to this thread so I'll just be watching from the sidelines again.

It may be dead/dieing out were you guys live, and I know it because I used to live out there.

But it certainly is not dead or even slowing down out in the Eastern half of the county. It's a huge and thriving sport out here!!

The only points I was trying to hit on this thread is to make it easier for the ordinary "joe" off the street to compete. (non class racing)
I hear you, Dave. If Barona closes without another good track opening up, I'll be hunting for another state to move to. Ca sucks for car racing.

Please participate, Collin. I'll be good.

Ok then, in that case I have a question for everybody to weigh in on.

How do we get the word out about the different events?? I mean obviously people that get on this site have access to the information fairly easily, but how do we get the word out to people that don't frequent the board??

Bowling green turnout is always good. I think the OP is asking is racing dead, and that has to include all the small races during the year. Besides BG whats the turn out for the other events. If turn out is low and you want turn out higher lets ask why people are not racing at these events. Is it the bar is set too high, is it the rules of the classes, or is it something else. I think thats where we should start. I do like the idea of combining events w/ other makes and models. This is good reading hearing different ideas to keep our hobby alive. Ideas are a good thing and let keep this positive. Thanks