You can type here any text you want

is there a mod to give the cam sensor gear more oil?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

blackgn231

Money pit
I was in Daytona beach this weekend talking to a guy with a 87 GN, he said his front timing cover had a hole drilled into were the cam sensor gear was to help provide it more oiling. Is there a mode for this have not seen anything about it.

After failing the distributor drive gear on my MSD distributor I did something similar to what was pictured in this thread and haven't had a problem since. I pulled the distributor recently and the gear looked brand new.

Neal

Just did the Leo mod to mine last winter after wearing 2 different gears out.however i think you could actually just drill into the oil galley on the timing cover and squirt the oil upward onto the gear (save drilling it external) i would use a small 1/16 or so drill bit and a drimmel tool to drill it.I do have a couple bronze distributor gears left if you need a cam gear replacement. $43 delivered.Also i increased the end play on the cam.to give the gears more room for the oil.I ended up not flattening the hole like in the picture in case i needed to remove it .also noticed wear on the front cover the Boss sticking out so I ground it down as shown in the picture

Attachments

• 1622059_10209027065417740_3600968544333659816_n.jpg
    1622059_10209027065417740_3600968544333659816_n.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    909.3 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 303
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    950.6 KB · Views: 277
Bobbybuick. have you tried that method will the oil pressure be enough to squirt the oil up there?

Bobbybuick. have you tried that method will the oil pressure be enough to squirt the oil up there?
No I thought of it AFTER i had already drilled the external hole .But yes it would be enough pressure, the thing is you have to make the hole small, very small and at the correct angle

if you are running a billet cam it is necessary if you are running a stock style cam there is a hole in the cam to oil the cam gear

So if I am running a stock oil pump ,I can still have problems ? Darn ,I seem to see this after ,I install something.

if you are running a billet roller there is no oil getting to the gears unless you do a mod .many are running a bronze or composite distributor (sensor)gear to protect the cam gear from wear.i have a couple and Weber sells them also....i just did a mod to my cover last winter

if you are running a billet roller there is no oil getting to the gears unless you do a mod .many are running a bronze or composite distributor (sensor)gear to protect the cam gear from wear.i have a couple and Weber sells them also....i just did a mod to my cover last winter
How much is the bronze gear also ,I saw were some did a mod with out pulling the cover . I would think you would get metal still into the oiling system that way right?

weber has both composite and bronze .the gears do wear in on all cars so yes there will be some wear.the couple i have left are 43 delivered i think i have 3.the composite are 80 or 90 bucks

So if you use a bronze gear you won't have to do the mode then right now,I don't drive my car a lot anyway.

Back