Is there anything out there like ATR Pitbull mufflers?

I have a Hooker 2.5" catback and it uses what I believe are turbo mufflers. I've always loved the sound of the ATR Pitbulls, but never new until recently what made them so different. I've heard the Pypes mufflers and Magnaflows. They sound good, but not what I was hoping for. Check out this pic I found of the inside of the Pitbull. Does anyone else have anything similar? I'm half tempted to make my own.

View attachment 317088

Have you tried contacting Richard Clark?
I know he bought out a lot of the ATR stock when they shut things down.

If he can't help you with an old stock ATR, maybe his polished mufflers that he offered with his exhaust system for the GNX? They looked very similar to me (at least from the outside ).

I have a Hooker 2.5" catback and it uses what I believe are turbo mufflers. I've always loved the sound of the ATR Pitbulls, but never new until recently what made them so different. I've heard the Pypes mufflers and Magnaflows. They sound good, but not what I was hoping for. Check out this pic I found of the inside of the Pitbull. Does anyone else have anything similar? I'm half tempted to make my own.

View attachment 317088

Attachments

• ATR Pit Bulls 2.jpg
    ATR Pit Bulls 2.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 141
guys the bad news is that the pits have not been made for nearly 15 years now. In my opinion they were the best flowing, best sounding, best looking 2.5 inch muffs ever made for these cars. Their straight through design with 2.5 in 2.5 out was just a perfect combination. I first purchased them for one of my gnx,s back in 1994 and put them on nearly every car I touched. When I first offered the gnx system I purchased 2 pallets of pits which was enough for 100 cars. I sold them rather quickly and when I reordered around 2000 they had changed the internal design. Originally they had what they called "power slots" in the early design. When ATR was purchased they changed the internal design to a perforated tube. They did not flow as good and did not sound as good as the original design but they were still the best thing that was available. I think the guy that purchased ATR and ruined them was also responsible for this change. I looked everywhere to find a suitable replacement muffler for the GNX systems that I was selling and all I found were compromised in one way or another. Fortunately i saved a few of the original pit muffs and I would not let them go for anything!!! The pipes system is a good system and in most respects is the best thing now available. Unfortunately it will not fit a GNX.

guys the bad news is that the pits have not been made for nearly 15 years now. In my opinion they were the best flowing, best sounding, best looking 2.5 inch muffs ever made for these cars. Their straight through design with 2.5 in 2.5 out was just a perfect combination. I first purchased them for one of my gnx,s back in 1994 and put them on nearly every car I touched. When I first offered the gnx system I purchased 2 pallets of pits which was enough for 100 cars. I sold them rather quickly and when I reordered around 2000 they had changed the internal design. Originally they had what they called "power slots" in the early design. When ATR was purchased they changed the internal design to a perforated tube. They did not flow as good and did not sound as good as the original design but they were still the best thing that was available. I think the guy that purchased ATR and ruined them was also responsible for this change. I looked everywhere to find a suitable replacement muffler for the GNX systems that I was selling and all I found were compromised in one way or another. Fortunately i saved a few of the original pit muffs and I would not let them go for anything!!! The pipes system is a good system and in most respects is the best thing now available. Unfortunately it will not fit a GNX.
Hey Richard it's Dan B.. this must be why my car sounds so good.. deep and mean at idle.. the first "T" to get your gnx suspension around 1999.. so their original pitbull mufflers?? Has an annoying drone now though with the rjc 3" down pipe and test pipe, was able to find an atr 2.5" s.s. down pipe and ported stock elbow gonna try that instead to see if it quiets down at lower rpms.

Thanks for responding Richard. After seeing how they look inside, there is definitely nothing that looks anything like them. The sound they make is very unique and my favorite by far. Looks like the GN1 3" mufflers are really similar, but I want 2.5" I'm really tempted to work with my fabricator buddy to make something similar and see how it works out.

This is a dyno run at RC's garage. Full ATR exhaust, headers to tailpipe. Dual 2.5" ATR Pit Bull mufflers. 707hp. WOT at 45 secs.

Last edited:
ATR went under in the early-mid 2000's I believe. I'm sure there are some new unused ones collecting dust at Richard's or in someone's garage. Definitely one of the best sounds on these cars. The RJC is the closest comparison I've heard so far.

This was my car with the old 4.1 combo and dual 2.5 pit bulls:

Same combo with the RJC system:

Current 4.5 combo with RJC:

Borla XR1s would also be similar to the Pitbulls. I have the ATR 3" Pitbulls on my GN now and had the Borlas XR1 on a previous car - some similar characteristics for sure.

Darren

Has anyone put QTP mufflers on before ?? Having my exhaust done in a few weeks and the guy said he uses QTP mufflers on all the vehicles he does and they sound really good.

A2000RICH Do you still have some ATR PITBULL Mufflers? I am looking for a 3" Original design with the slots in the core.

The Ultraflows (assuming they still make them) is what ATR originally used on their exhaust before they took manufacturing in house.

V6s never sound like V8s no matter what you do. If you want loud, get an electric cutout and a quiet muffler. Over time, you will thank yourself. I had a single shot and it droned so bad. It was cool for a year and then it wasn't.

V6s never sound like V8s no matter what you do. If you want loud, get an electric cutout and a quiet muffler. Over time, you will thank yourself. I had a single shot and it droned so bad. It was cool for a year and then it wasn't.
Here is what I run, it was a cold start. It's as close to v8 as ur gonna get. More clips to come after I'm back on the road, its down for a rebuild atm.