Its A Shame Thread

Did you post this on the V8 Buick board? If not, you should!

Linky in my signature.

Nope, but I will when I get the time too.

Lotta other Cool stuff there, it'll take me weeks to just catch up on archives!
That junkyard GS-I conv. on moparts looked cool! I'm tempted to hunt that place down!

I will have to go back to my hometown hangout place and snap a few pics. You guys would literally flip. As young kids, we used to go to this junkyard in town that was located next to the river to play. We used to claim cars as ours and always said one day this car would be mine. I have a picture of me jumping my bike off of a 70ish Cuda. The picture clearly shows the black side markings and the orange paint. This place is still there but the city took it over because there was polution to the soil that was running off into the river. There are a ton of old muscle cars in there. Some guy from Chicago tried to buy the lot from the city but was declined. The city cant do anything with the cars inside until a settlement is met with the original owners. Until that happens, the cars just sit. Also, after moving to Iowa, I lived in the middle of nowhere next to the Wapsi River. There is an old, and I mean OLD, junkyard out there that is shut down and gated off. Every year, the cars get flooded. I snuck back there a few times in high school and to my suprise, there is about 200 acres of old cars. I bet there is nothing newer than late 70's cars in there. I have been talking with a buddy of mine and we are planning to go back to these yards to snap some pics once the weather clears up.

I was taking my cousin from KY around the state and had stopped to fill the GN in Santa Fe (At least 6 years ago, was using the GN as a DD) & this kid runs up to me and asks if I wanted to buy a wrecked GN that he had in Albuquerque. Told him, "yeah, sure", got his number and called a week later to go look at it thinking I'd see a wrecked regal. Sure enough it wasn't a GN, but it was an '86 Two tone T-type with T-tops. Some guy drinking had run a stoplight and hit this thing in the drivers fender with an old ford truck. Don't have any idea how it didn't break the t-tops, because they didn't sit flush with the car anymore. Poured in a few gallons of fresh gas, and put in a good battery and it fired right up, drove it up onto the trailer even though one of the brake lines ended up wrapped around the steering column and couldn't stop on the trailer. Used the Engine and tranny in my '87 Iroc convertible and sold the shell to "FuzzyGN" and he parted the rest out. Didn't realize at the time but it was a WH1............$500. I'll have to look for pics, used to have some on my cardomain page.

Oh yeah, SILVERFOX!!! YOU scared the crap outta me, thought that was your current ride! The before pic looks nearly identical to the one you have now!

Oh yeah, SILVERFOX!!! YOU scared the crap outta me, thought that was your current ride! The before pic looks nearly identical to the one you have now!

Yes, they do look very similar. The original car (wrecked one) was a lot nicer!

Rob

I remember going to a GM training class in Ashland, Kentucky around 1990. On the school grounds was a brand new 1987 GN that had the right side damaged. Was wrecked by someone (may have been the carrier driver) the day it was unloaded. Still had the plastic on all the interior. Looked very repairable, but in the window was one of GM's stickers...."This vehicle has been donated for training puposes and may never be sold or titled and will be destroyed.....", something along those lines. The GM guys here know the decal I'm talking about. What a waste.

Actually mine. I'm the guy who keeps saying I want to restore it.

GranSport.jpg

As soon as the kids get bigger, I'm sure I'll have more time to spend on them:rolleyes:

That looks like my backyard several years ago. I'll try to find the picture and scan it for you. Hang in there, it only took me 20+ years to get my GS looking better.

Well, I'm getting there with this car. It's no RoadRunner or GS but it's mine and 1 of only 696 made. Just a lowly FWD Xbody but I like it. It had a tough life as evidenced by the pic of the spindle which resulted in the side swipe damage to the drivers side of the car. I plan on getting it in the garage in the next couple weeks and start replacing the floorboards among other things.

Attachments

• Image005.jpg
    Image005.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 269
  • Image006.jpg
    Image006.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 264
  • Image007.jpg
    Image007.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 269
  • IMGomega1.jpg
    IMGomega1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 277
  • Image019_2.jpg
    Image019_2.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 274
This is how I found it. As you can see the new drivetrain is coming along. Originally a 2.8V6/auto. WhenI bought it a 2.5 Iron Duke was in the engine bay but looked like they never finished hooking it up. It now is a 97 3400 that has been redone to maintain the iron head/carb induction via 3.4 V6 Camaro pistons, custom pushrods to work with the hydraulic roller cam/iron head configuration. I also got rid of the auto and stuck a 4 speed in it.

Attachments

• Image012-1.jpg
    Image012-1.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 272
  • Image013_2.jpg
    Image013_2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 264
  • Image021-1.jpg
    Image021-1.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 264
  • Photo0051.jpg
    Photo0051.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 265
  • Photo0049.jpg
    Photo0049.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 261
this is mine... i found what i thought would be a beautiful 66 cadillac coupe deville that was forsale on craigslist for 1000 obo. I offered 800 for it, but the brakes kept sticking, the interior was beyond repair, and the car was pretty rust. the engine oil looked like ink, and the car had more mold and moss growing in it than sally struthers:eek:

Attachments

• 31761795919_ORIG.jpeg
    31761795919_ORIG.jpeg
    45.7 KB · Views: 257
My GN when my mom first sent me the pictures after telling me she wanted to give it to me. I hadn't seen it in many years as it had been parked behind the barn and forgotten for about 10 years. It was a real toss-up whether to save it or scrap it. Many $ later, I'm glad I saved it.:)

Attachments

• IMGP0177.JPG
    IMGP0177.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 240
  • IMGP0154.JPG
    IMGP0154.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 247
  • DSCF0033copy.jpg
    DSCF0033copy.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 246
  • 2010 05-29 02 - Copy.jpg
    2010 05-29 02 - Copy.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 244
My GN when my mom first sent me the pictures after telling me she wanted to give it to me. I hadn't seen it in many years as it had been parked behind the barn and forgotten for about 10 years. It was a real toss-up whether to save it or scrap it. Many $ later, I'm glad I saved it.:)

Awesome! One more TB saved from the crusher/boneyard. Looks like a real labor of love that most people would have gave up on. Can definitely appreciate the sentimental value of a car in the family which makes it worth the extra money, time and effort to bring her back to glory. Great job :D

Thanks 86GranNash! It was very gratifying...especially when my mom saw it the first time after the restoration. I found out that even at 45 years old that it's still feels nice when your mom thinks you did good!:redface:
During the process, I kept telling her I would send pictures and kept "forgetting" (except one pic where the car was in about 100 pieces).

I'm putting together a montage of the restoration but I am waiting on some pictures the body / paint guy took on days I wasn't there working with him. I'll eventually post that on the forum.

Why wouldn't a 383/4spd/ deluxe int and headrests/cpe. w/1yr paint color be a cost effective restoration? I prefer the 383 personally, but demand HT's. NICE save on the 59 Wagon!!!! How solid is it? I'm terrible about taking pics when I should. I've seen a number of GN's in yards. Here's my Buick addition from a local yard. Looks completely salvagable.

Better late than never on this reply. Never saw it before the thread resurrection. The RR has been sold. Hopefully someone fixes it but in this economy its cheaper to buy it done. The wagon is a parts car. VERY rough, one of the back windows is broken out and has been that way for years. Very rusty and lots of parts gone, I think it took them several hours to get it pulled on the trailer when the trailer was backed up clear to the bumper of the wagon. leaf spring rusted in half...
Dad has a 59 dodge royal 4 dr thats in much better shape and he's trying to sell them as a package deal. We don't crush anything.

Here's a happy ending, my 69 GTO that was posted on the first page of the this post.

Attachments

• 100_0373.jpg
    100_0373.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 312
Better late than never on this reply. Never saw it before the thread resurrection. The RR has been sold. Hopefully someone fixes it but in this economy its cheaper to buy it done. The wagon is a parts car. VERY rough, one of the back windows is broken out and has been that way for years. Very rusty and lots of parts gone, I think it took them several hours to get it pulled on the trailer when the trailer was backed up clear to the bumper of the wagon. leaf spring rusted in half...
Dad has a 59 dodge royal 4 dr thats in much better shape and he's trying to sell them as a package deal. We don't crush anything.

That's too bad about that wagon. Speaking about Forward Look Mopars, I'm a big fan of them and there's a local boneyard that had 4 or 5 late 50's Dodges that I managed to snap some pics of before they went to the crusher. Thought you might like to see these...

First pic is one of the nicer ones that was actually salvageable. 57 salmon/white dodge.
DSC00017.jpg
[/IMG]

Next 2 pics are of my 42k original mile 57 Desoto that I sold a few years ago. Pushbutton tranny and rare dual antennas. Even the radio worked. It had alot of rust and I'd be surprised if it hasn't been parted out by now.
Desoto1.jpg
DES1.jpg

57 Ford Skyliner retractable hardtop from the same yard as the first pic. Sent to crusher. If this car could have spoken, I'm sure it would've had plenty of stories to tell.
DSC00022.jpg
[/IMG]

There's alot more pics where these came from unfortunately :(

Does anyone have updates on the cars they posted years ago ? Especially would like to see the GNX

That's too bad about that wagon. Speaking about Forward Look Mopars, I'm a big fan of them and there's a local boneyard that had 4 or 5 late 50's Dodges that I managed to snap some pics of before they went to the crusher. Thought you might like to see these...

First pic is one of the nicer ones that was actually salvageable. 57 salmon/white dodge.

Next 2 pics are of my 42k original mile 57 Desoto that I sold a few years ago. Pushbutton tranny and rare dual antennas. Even the radio worked. It had alot of rust and I'd be surprised if it hasn't been parted out by now.
There's alot more pics where these came from unfortunately :(

My dad still has a 262 hemi out of an old desoto. He thinks it's worth a fortune though. Dad supposedly just sold the 59 4 door today and they don't want the wagon so if you need any parts you better holler. Come get the whole thing, lol.

here's the 4 door
1959 Dodge Royale 4 dr

Can't seem to locate the pictures I had but there is a 1984 SVO Mustang around the corner from me. It has 68,000 kilometers on it. If I recall it's been parked since about 1989 just rotting away in a laneway. It has 4 flats, the exhaust system is on the ground, the interior is bleached white from the sun, the silver paint looks like primer. It's a shame, I remember that car when it was new. Owner just abandoned it there to rot. Won't consider selling it either. A couple of more years, a broom and a dust pan will make easy work of the car.

Well, this car started out as a $150 parts car for me to use for my Shelby Charger but then I couldn't bring myself to cut it up. The floors were rusted out, motor froze, fuel/brake lines rusted........Man this thing needed a lot of stuff! I have been trying to sell it but maybe I'll keep it around for a while. I don't plan on doing a paint job as it actually looks real nice with just a little "patina" as they say. It wears it well. I even fabricated a supercharger setup using an M62 from a 94 Bonnevile. I just finished repainting the hood scoop and touching up the front bumper because it was actually looking pretty bad. I had a graphics shop make me up some TURISMO 2.2 decals. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3330158/1982-plymouth-turismo

Attachments

• IMG_0141.jpg
    IMG_0141.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0142.jpg
    IMG_0142.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 250
  • Photo0099.jpg
    Photo0099.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 245
  • Photo0100.jpg
    Photo0100.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 247
My dad still has a 262 hemi out of an old desoto. He thinks it's worth a fortune though. Dad supposedly just sold the 59 4 door today and they don't want the wagon so if you need any parts you better holler. Come get the whole thing, lol.

here's the 4 door
1959 Dodge Royale 4 dr

Thanks, I don't have any room or need for any Mopar stuff right now, but you should definitely try posting your stuff on the Forwardlook.net website. It's dedicated to 55-61 Mopars and you should be able to sell your stuff there. That 59 Dodge looks pretty solid and I'm sure somebody just got themselves a good deal. Let's just hope it doesn't end up like this one...

DSC00206.jpg
[/IMG]