You can type here any text you want

Knock question???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

malibu78

My car has a SMC dual nozzle progressive alky kit. Usually I can run 22lbs of boost with 93 and no knock Te 62 turbo, cas front mount ic, TT alky chip 5.4 version 24 timing in 1st and 23 in second in third. The weather here in the metro detroit area has been very hot upper 80's low 90 with high humidity. At 22lbs I'm pulling 4 degrees of KR at the shifts. Will higher weather temps cause this??? I have the system pump turned to 10 ( highest setting) o2 volts look good 790 to 810 a little rich. Any input would be appreciated

when tuned near the edge temperature changes from when last set on edge will need tuning adjustment

hotter temps increase tendancy to preignite due to operating temps and inlet temps , without changes to tuning this will cause issues , with increased heat the issue is the octane is not sufficient
need more alky or less timing or boost to lower inlet temps

cold air has similar effect but for different reasons
cold air can tolerate more timing or boost or less octane due to cooler operating temps and inlet temps but because air is denser it needs more fuel , if it doesnt get it detonation occurs , so if you can add fuel or reduce boost, you can also get away with less alky when cool but it goes back to the needing fuel issue

PaceCarta,

Thanks your response makes total sense. By the way what in the hell do you have done to your 86 GN. stock shortblock!!! Man your car flat out rocks. Viewed the videos

PaceCarta,

Thanks your response makes total sense. By the way what in the hell do you have done to your 86 GN. stock shortblock!!! Man your car flat out rocks. Viewed the videos

:) basiclly just ported stock iron heads , big big turbo, small hydraulic flat tappet cam (212/208) , turbotweak chips , a 200-4r built by someone who knew what they were doing and watch the tune closely
oh and a splash of alky from Razor duals didn't hurt seeing as how its only running 93 octane

its been laying down mid 10s for three years now and goes out to track about once a week during season making about 6 passes a night (about 300 passes so far with no falures or internal work other than a broken rocker shaft

heres a link to more specifics
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/time-slip-combo-database/208939-10-41-126-99-pump-gas-alky.html

:) basiclly just ported stock iron heads , big big turbo, small hydraulic flat tappet cam (212/208) , turbotweak chips , a 200-4r built by someone who knew what they were doing and watch the tune closely
oh and a splash of alky from Razor duals didn't hurt seeing as how its only running 93 octane

its been laying down mid 10s for three years now and goes out to track about once a week during season making about 6 passes a night (about 300 passes so far with no falures or internal work other than a broken rocker shaft

heres a link to more specifics
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/time-slip-combo-database/208939-10-41-126-99-pump-gas-alky.html

That's awesome. What do you think I could get out of mine on a good air day. Heres the Mods 87 GN:

80,000 miles
te-62
CAS front mount
Comp Valve springs
Maf Translator
009's
precision stall 2800--3200
Body Brace kit
3inch down pipe
Solid control arms for rearend upper and lower, pinion snubber, airbag passenger side 3.42 gear
29.3 by9 inch slicks and front runners
TT Race chip with timing at 27in first and 26 in 2nd and third. I have an Alky chip but some say I will go faster with C16 and race chip than alky. I've been told easier to tune but who knows

Car currently runs consistent 11.60's on a good air day mid 60's, 55% humidity and high Barometric pressure. This was at 23.5 lbs of boost 3 gallons of 93 mixed with 110. I know this may not be the best but the 110 was cheap insurance. SMC alky kit was turned up all the way Here were my numbers on the Scanmaster at idle before run car completely warmed up

temp 171
Bls 135
tps .44
iac 22

Scanmaster reading at the end of both the 11.63 and 11.60 run O2 750 and no knock.

Give me your opinion. I have heard over turbobuicks.com that you're the man. Knowledge seems to be the key to making these things run. The car has only been down the track 10 times since I've owned, however I have about 200 hours of research, calls, time on forums and tuning in the garage before going to the track. Oh I also run 15w-50 Mobil One sythetic in the car. I know it is on the heavy side just wanted extra protection. Please feel free to criticize anything you see wrong. Just want to run as fast and safe as possible.;) Thanks for your time

Back