You can type here any text you want

kr reading

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

three turbos

NUNLKME
Ok yesterday took my 87 turbo-t out (107,000)miles on it and noticed 5.6 kr in 3rd at wot so obviouseley i lifted i plan on starting by checking all the readings on my scanner (o2,iac,tps) to start but im sure there fine car runs and start great my fuel pressure is around 43-44 line off however i have never checked wot pressure with the external gage so im thinking after settings check on doing that first and double checking my o2 readings at wot any input guys? (mods are 009 injectors42.5lbs,cold air kit, tt5.6 chip,3000 stahl converter,hot wire kit, adjustable reg.,2.5 hooker exhaust,3" down pipe,ta49 turbo set at 17 lbs, running on 93so am i heading in the right direction? Eric

Add some fuel through the chip. See if that reduces the knock. Alky is even better.

kr

Thanks for the idea, Im going to try checking wot fuel pressure first if that checks ok then I will be calling Eric at tt. Can a timeing chain with wear cause fuel timeing to be off and this my end result?Just curiouse due to the mileage on the motor.Thanks I will keep you posted on my findings.

What pump is in the car now? You really need to know your WOT fuel pressure. Right now nobody can give you a good answer. Get the car up to around 60mph and roll in the gas and see if your knock starts climbing. BE CAREFUL!

kr

yes that is going to be my first step is to hook up a gage and check at wot i agree,also im going to check my o2 reading @ wot this should also let me know if i have a lean condition i believe.Supposively there is a hv pump in tank now so we will see what i come up with, if i show a lean condition i may drop tank and see exactly whats inside, winter is coming so now is the time!

kr readings

Ok here are my findings after hooking up a fuel gage,first i checked fuel pressure @ idle 44lbs. line off,checked iac after warm up in perfect range,o2 reading warm @idle.800,well within range,then cheked tps .43@idle&4.5@wot.
Now from a stop then floored i had 4.2 kr but then down in the 2 range after shifts this was @ 18 lbs of boost w/ 60lbs of fuel pressure & my o2 was 790 so overall not bad a little lean.
Next from a stop i had 2.6 kr @19lbs of boost with 60 lbs. of fuel pressure o2 around 790 again
Now from a 60 mph roll floored 2.6 kr 763 on o2 and the same boost and fuel pressure.Now after looking at my paper work from turbo tweek i see i should be running 16lbs of boost on 93 not 18-19 so i feel this could be why im getting some knock,so im going to back the turbo down a turn or two and i think i will be good thats what i got so far, definitley answered some questions with these runs.

Now get yourself an Alchy Kit for Christmas!! Then run 25-26 lbs with a new chip.

Oh ya, Hang on Tight when you floor it!!

kr

Yeah thanks for that idea i have been tossing that around for while now, i would like to get some info first on it due to the 107,000 miles on motor however that kit might actually help it live a little longer in helping with keeping the knock down.Did you realy notice that much of a difference after the kit install?was it a razor progressive kit?

kr

Possibly, I am definitely going to turn down boost a little due the fact that is what the tt chip is set up for and go from there!

Kr

Yes that is also a good idea to, Im going to talk to Eric at tt and see what he suggest he has chip set up for 16lbs of boost, I would like to keep my boost up obviousely but i dont want to hurt it either so we will see what my options are after i talk to him iwill keep you guys informed thanks all for all the input.Eric

Some of the knock could be false. Shifts or something hitting. May not. If it keeps climbing as you stay in the gas it's most likely real. +2 on the alky!:biggrin: I wouldn't go much passed 16psi woithout alky! Least your getting some vital information now.;)

kr

Thanks for the inf.,going to turn the turbo down today and make a run see what happens i will keep you informed on my results im pretty sure the knock is going to go away when i get the boost down in the right range we shall see.;)

It's cold here in Chicago. I would add 10% fuel to the chip and see where your O2s are and see if it knocks.

Before you do that though, open the hood, get in the car and try to build like 5psi on the footbrake. If you see the throtle body and doghouse really moving to the right you may have a bad drivers side motor mount. The engine will torque over hard to the right and could cause the downpipe to hit the upper control arm or on the the frame causing the knock sensor to go off under load.

jasjamz : Does anyone make a torque strap for our motors, or due you have to fab up your own ? Sam

I think g body parts has them but I fab my own. Got a twin hook turnbuckle from Turboburick and a small rachet tie down from home depot. Simple and effective. No broken tensioner either.

Here is a picture of the turnbuckle thing-a-majiggy:eek:

Attachments

• IMAG0094.jpg
    IMAG0094.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 191
I think g body parts has them but I fab my own. Got a twin hook turnbuckle from Turboburick and a small rachet tie down from home depot. Simple and effective. No broken tensioner either.

pictures?:biggrin:

Back