LC1 install getting #8 error code. Faulty 02?

you guys are 5 mins from me...where in Flanders...if I can help let me know

I'm in Budd Lake. My brother, TurboJimmy lives in Poets Peak up the road from the Netcong State Poice Barracks (Moony Mountain). Thanks for the offer, maybe I'll take you up on it. I need to figure out why it's running so rich. Everything form the plugs to the 02 sensor and even the bottom of rear 1/4 panels are covered in thick carbon. :confused:

Is this the second O2??

Yes, this is the second 02. The first one never worked and this one worked great for a while until recently when it started acting up. The only thing different about this one is that I still get a solid red LED and no error codes.

I haven't been around for a while and don't remember if this has been covered or not, but have the basics been covered?
I assume from the equipment list on his car that the WB is used for monitoring and not tracking or control. And that the stock O2 is still in place and doing its thing.
Question is, why so rich? Cover the basics like; Translator + settings all correct? What are the idle BLM's? hopefully not 150, but I'm guessing they are.

BLM's are low like 117. I tried to to adjust it with my Extender chip but it didn't make a difference. I'll try to get an idle link from the Power Logger

I might have a stuck injector. I don't know how to tell the symptoms of a bad injector but I put a screw driver against the body of each one while the car was running and they were all quiet exept for #6. #6 felt like it was "ticking". I didn't feel that from the rest the injectors.

The running rich problem only started recently so that's what I'n gonna go with until I find out otherwise.

Your just monitoring with the WB right? Your still running the stock O2 as well? I think I would start with checking the entire fuel system to make sure it's operating correctly ie; fuel pressure set right, fuel return line clear, injectors firing correctly, etc.

Yeah I was just using the WB02 as a monitor (was). The car is running off a new Denso NB02. The fuel pressure is set to where it should be and it's reading normal on the gauge.

This thread has gotten me nervous about my LC1 and allthough I'm not having a problem with mine I got me thinking. What happens to us TT 6.0 users who rely on the WB for closed loop control. So I asked Eric and he tells me that the WB;s "usually" read lean when they fail. Of couse we have other tools to look at to detect a problem,but what if I'm on a road trip, or my wife is driving it (she likes the GO pedal, but would ignore the scanmaster) and my status LC1's L.E.D. is not something I look at with any regularity too.

He told me to do this:
In the LC-1 setup using the LM Programmer software, you can go into the Advanced Analog Out Settings. You will see a setting called "Output at Error Cond." Uncheck the "high impedance" box, then enter 2.45. That will make it default to 14.7 when there is an error, which will make the chip thinks it lean and add fuel. At least it will always add fuel instead of subtracting.

Just something to think about.

i had issues with one lc1
thought it was sensor so i replaced it with the same bosch from autozone ($54)
using the led only all startup appeared normal (couldnt get the logworks run on my old pc)
it would go through warmup and then hold steady led , looks normal right

take it for a ride all was well and af was normal and seemed to track ok , nail the gas and it would wigout and code 8 , turned off my 6. 0 correction but as soon as id get on the gas the wideband led would just go out and stay out till i restarted or code 8

finally hooked it to a laptop and found the fuel setting was not on gasoline 14.7 AF range but some custom setting (this was out of the box setup as shipped from FT) , reflashed to latest firmware corrected fuel to gasoline , set sensor update to 1/12
opened my test pipe up and blew some compressed air into DP (have sensor down near last bend at lower end of DP ) then did a recalibrate

so far ive had zero issues , WB 6.0 is running in correction mode as it should and still using the same sensor i thought for sure was dead .

The O2s that I've had to replace were causing the engine to run rich. Better rich at WOT which where the TT6.0 controls the fueling than lean.

This may be relavent to the original code 8 error, I found this buried in the LC1 manual...

Sometimes it’s possible to encounter Error 08 when the exhaust gas suddenly gets too rich.
Normally the LC-1 will display a ‘too rich’ indication if the exhaust gas is too rich. If the mixture
gets rich very suddenly, the LC-1 cannot distinguish between a too rich condition and a sensor
timing error.

Their little heat sink thingie is something like $90.:rolleyes:
I made one out of a spark plug antifouling thingie for $4. BTW it didn't change the issue I was having with that LC-1 I got rid of.

Back to the fuel issue, here's a diy fuel injector cleaner Poor Man's Fuel Injector Tester and a manufactured one OTC 7448 Fuel Injector Canister-Type Cleaner
don't know if that injector is messed up, maybe it could be stuck...

The heat sink reference was suppose to not be pasted there,I thought I just copied the paragraph about the error code #8 and it's "too rich" condition.

I was over at darkred87T's place yesterday helping him rid his fridge of Miller Lites. In between beers, we swapped out his badly carbon-fouled plugs, changed the oil (it was as thin as the fuel that had contaminated it) and messed around with the throttle blade settings. For some reason this thing is DUMPING fuel into the engine at idle. The WB02 that we finally got working quit working - I'm sure it's because it's just drenched in fuel.

So we got to listening to each injector through a long 3/8" extension bar (McGyver stethescope). Turns out one sounded different from the rest. Like fuel was pouring through it.

I loaned him one of my 60# injectors to see if that clears up the rich condition, but he hasn't swapped it in yet. He's got carbon coating the 1/4s behind the tail pipes. Something ain't right.

The irony is that before he had the engine rebuilt it was running super lean.

We'll sort it out......

Jim

I was over at darkred87T's place yesterday helping him rid his fridge of Miller Lites. Jim

Thanks. I didn't know what to do with those pesky Miller Lites.

As soon as weather breaks, I'll mess around with it again. I have my doubts about the injector but I have no other leads at this point.

i had issues with one lc1
thought it was sensor so i replaced it with the same bosch from autozone ($54)
using the led only all startup appeared normal (couldnt get the logworks run on my old pc)
it would go through warmup and then hold steady led , looks normal right

take it for a ride all was well and af was normal and seemed to track ok , nail the gas and it would wigout and code 8 , turned off my 6. 0 correction but as soon as id get on the gas the wideband led would just go out and stay out till i restarted or code 8

finally hooked it to a laptop and found the fuel setting was not on gasoline 14.7 AF range but some custom setting (this was out of the box setup as shipped from FT) , reflashed to latest firmware corrected fuel to gasoline , set sensor update to 1/12
opened my test pipe up and blew some compressed air into DP (have sensor down near last bend at lower end of DP ) then did a recalibrate

so far ive had zero issues , WB 6.0 is running in correction mode as it should and still using the same sensor i thought for sure was dead .

yep said that http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/ge...ing-8-error-code-faulty-02-a.html#post2112893 out of the box the the fuel type was wrong....and then had to find a usb-db9 cable that would work....went round in circles thinking it was the sensor...turned out the firmaware and settings were wrong....have you hooked it up to laptop to make sure the firmware and fuel choices are correct

I would take a look at all the plugs. If all are black then it would be something making the tune rich. If you have a bad injector, the plug should stand out from the others.

Just my $.o2

Good luck guy's

I swapped the injector and it seems like it's even more rich! It's acts like it does when you pull the chip and start it only I'm not getting an SES light. I also swapped stock computers and no change. I suspect the chip but I don't have another 60lb chip to try.