You can type here any text you want

Lifter Tap???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DaJoker

DUMB QUESTION MEMBER
My TTA has a lifter tap once the car has been running for awhile. The car does not make the noise immediately only after using it for 10 to 15 minutes. Could it be a cam lobe, lifter or possibly something else??? :confused: Its going to the shop on Monday but I just want the opinions of the turbo experts on this board. Thanks

my new TTA in 89 had a "tick" on the pass side .. car ran high 11s as a stocker so I left it alone :eek: :biggrin:

rattle

Hi,
My TTA has the same rattle, same bank.I wonder if it has to do with the FWD heads and valvetrain? My 109K TType has no such noise. Unless it is severe, which my noise is not, I would live with it.Maybe a couple of longer pushrods would fix the situation. Try a stethescope, to pinpoint the noise. Good luck!

I have also had customers cars with the same thing ... turn up the radio :eek: :biggrin:

Kma697 said:
My TTA has a lifter tap once the car has been running for awhile. The car does not make the noise immediately only after using it for 10 to 15 minutes. Could it be a cam lobe, lifter or possibly something else??? :confused: Its going to the shop on Monday but I just want the opinions of the turbo experts on this board. Thanks

I had a tap that went away after switching back to dino oil. If it isn't broken, don't fix it. :)

Sorry, I had to respond because the sound you hear at the end of this email is the gun to my head. This is what started my TTA oddessy and makes me so cynical about this whole "sport" sometimes. I bought a TTA with a whole load of go-fast goodies but the big selling point was a factory replacement shortblock with 100 miles on it. The cam had also been changed to a Comp Cams one.

The slight lifter "tap" ultimately turned out to be a bad cam bearing, collapsed lifter, bent push rod, etc. The cam bearing was bad because the boring was bad. The whole thing appeared to be a factory defect. I trust the guy that tore down the motor and tried to use the block to rebuild. He's done a lot of stage blocks and stock blocks for TR people, so it wasn't a BS story. 3-4 top people looked at this block.

Net result, 7 years later and I'm still putting the car back together. The motor was done last year. Started with another bare block and did the whole 9 yards - steel caps, roller cam, blah-blah. I would have done a stage block had I known it would be this long and frustrating!

Again, not trying to cause alarm but for me there will never be a "small lifter tap" in any car I own!

Hi,
I sympathaize with your troubles, and will keep this info at hand, but I will not lose sleep as to whether my 100K motor is going to fry tomorrow. Enjoy it while it's here!

mark b said:
Sorry, I had to respond because the sound you hear at the end of this email is the gun to my head. This is what started my TTA oddessy and makes me so cynical about this whole "sport" sometimes. I bought a TTA with a whole load of go-fast goodies but the big selling point was a factory replacement shortblock with 100 miles on it. The cam had also been changed to a Comp Cams one.

The slight lifter "tap" ultimately turned out to be a bad cam bearing, collapsed lifter, bent push rod, etc. The cam bearing was bad because the boring was bad. The whole thing appeared to be a factory defect. I trust the guy that tore down the motor and tried to use the block to rebuild. He's done a lot of stage blocks and stock blocks for TR people, so it wasn't a BS story. 3-4 top people looked at this block.

Net result, 7 years later and I'm still putting the car back together. The motor was done last year. Started with another bare block and did the whole 9 yards - steel caps, roller cam, blah-blah. I would have done a stage block had I known it would be this long and frustrating!

Again, not trying to cause alarm but for me there will never be a "small lifter tap" in any car I own!

come on ...where is your sence of adventure :p soooo you are progressing now right ??

Kma697 said:

Well, check the simple 1st, it very well maybe just a crack in a header, makes the same noise.

mark b said:

Hey Bud! You don't have that thing back together yet?

89ICBM said:
mark b said:

Hey Bud! You don't have that thing back together yet?

Getting closer! All the suspension stuff is in - KYB AGX's, Spohn stuff all around, subframe conns, k-member, springs, blah-blah boring stuff. Motor is now in! :) Swapped the old Champion intake for the new one. Of course the other one was ported, pseudo-polished and jet-hot coated then I took it off. What a moron!

Next up, custom exhaust from turbo to tail-pipe with Racegate, etc. Probably gonna sell the THDP or ATR pipe that was on there. Got the stainless line for fuel and Aeromotive pump.

I can almost hear it running! I may actually live long enough to see it run!

Back