looking for all day 11's on pump gas....how?

wyk3d

Car wiring sucks!
Im in the middle of getting parts together for a rebuild. Id like some input on what i would need to be safely in the mid to upper 11s on 93octane with NO alky, street trim. See post for what i currently have in the car. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Dan

I would say a 4.1 with aluminum heads might get you there......the bottom line is, that is not a realistic goal unless you have a very light car (under 3200 lbs)

dunno for sure, but my guess would be few, if any, have run 11's on pump gas alone

You can do it, You just need a really good 60ft. I went 11.95@113 with a 1.62 60ft on Sunoco 94 Octane with a Stock Motor, 51, 50s, V4 and 3DP. I was running 19psi with an 18 degree chip.

You need to have the car in a good tune and dont expect to do it on 16psi.

If you have some ported heads and bigger cam I dont see why you cant go 11s in street trim with a good 60ft.

Sorry my Friend but if you want to go 11's on pump gas, the bottom line is you bought the wrong car. Our cars NEED high octane to move, as I found out last week when I did a few pump gas run's and only ran mid 13's in FULL street trim (16psi).

Plus think about it, why shoot for 11 seconds on pump gas when you can bypass the 11 and go into the 10's with race fuel ( C16 or such ).

I wouldn't risk any chance of detonating if I had all this money in my car and was aggresively tunning it to go fast on PUMP gas.

Just something for you to think about.

:cool:

so basically bottom line is i need some alky if i wanna do this without race gas. That seems to be what im reading so far.

Dan

With your combo you should be able to run 11's easily with alcohol + pump gas.

I don't see why everyone thinks it can't be done.My friends Ed's(ULYCYC)car should do it if we can get it to hook - so far his best pump gas ET has been like a 12.2 with like a 1.9-2.0 60fts and at a hefty 3800lbs w/driver.If we could get the 60's down it should be an easy 11 second pump gas ride - as I hope mine will be too scince we have a similar buildup :D

Steve

60' times are a function of traction AND power....you cannot make much power at 15 lbs boost

our pump gas is 91 octane.............those that can still get 94 are very lucky!

if you want a fast street/pump gas car, use alcohol

if you want a fast car, use race gas!

If you want 11's in street trim with no alky, you have bought the wrong car. Go get a 5.0 mustang or LS1.

But why don't you want alky? It's almost as good as having race gas in your tank. And you can make your own kit inexpensively. You could be running mid 11's in street trim with alky no problem.

as tta89 said it can be done. i have seen a few people do it with nothing but 94 octane and a street chip. heck i went 12.2@112 in street trim with better 60ft it probally woulda tickled the 11's. us new englanders benefit from cool weather, 94 sunoco, and sea level. sucks to be anywhere else with these cars in street trim.

it aint hard to do if you want to do some minor head porting nd intake porting and a big i/c.

your 51 is plenty of turbo to do it but ...nevermind.;)

mine with the ta-49 in all street trim on first time out on the i/c motor went 12:07@114 and it was not tuned yet.

sig says what it went next pass when switched to race chip and race fuel

both passes had crappy 1.9 60 ft's and spun into the middle of second gear on 235/60/15 bfg drag radials

when i put the 51 turbo on my car it was faster and would easily run in the 11's on pump gas with NO ALKY.

yeah yeah i know.....51s are evil....i read ur misfortune. Im hoping mine is one of the rare ones that isnt going to come apart:eek:
The machine work is going to get done after BG if i cant find a nice shortblock already put together nice port and polish of all things metal. I might go with the alky after the funds replenish from the rebuild.

Dan

My bud went 12.3@112 with NO alky and just 93 with only 16 psi, a 2.0 60ft and 16 to 17 lbs of boost.....he still has a totally stock intercooler too....but he has a PTE53, GN1 heads, 206 roller cam, blah, blah blah, yackity smack.......yes it can be done.

If you want to run 11's on street trim, you will need a 10 sec recipe.

I have run 12.40@113 on 13 lbs of boost on radials. (36 lb inj)
and a 2.2 60 ft time

Added 50's, I could run 20 lbs on 93, tried again on radials, they would not hold aftre the 330 mark after laying into it softly. Put old stickies on, went 11.7x@117. 60's were 1.9's

I will try a 93 octane run again when my motor gets back after a refresh and some ported M&A heads.

Go with the Alky...

As craig T said you need to run near 10's to do it. I ran 12.06@115 with no traction at all in pure street trim and 94oct.
I am going again soon so before I put race gas in and slicks I will try for a few 11 sec runs;)

I ran a 12.04 @ 116 mph on pump gas with 18psi, at the time I had ported Irons heads , 60-1 turbo. hooker headers. I didn't tune the car at all, the DFI was set for race gas and 23lbs of boost. the car was detonating on pump gas:D See my sig for rest of the combo. If you don't want to run race gas, you must get alky, it is a safty net for our cars from blowing a head gaskets. I have done it about 10 times:D Good luck

Originally posted by Vader 87
My bud went 12.3@112 with NO alky and just 93 with only 16 psi, a 2.0 60ft and 16 to 17 lbs of boost.....he still has a totally stock intercooler too....but he has a PTE53, GN1 heads, 206 roller cam, blah, blah blah, yackity smack.......yes it can be done.

Vader sort of eluded to it, in his own sly way ;)

You want to run "honest" mid/high 11's in pur street trim with pump gas only, you'll need an honest mid 10 second motor (in race trim) to do it. Why bother spending that kind of money.
I feel perfectly secure knowing my car will only run in the mid 12's in purely street trim. But trim it for the track and things get a lot more interesting.

I'll be shooting for that once I finally get a Buick. I'm hoping a TE60 with ported heads and a cam will get me there. My friend was going 11.80's or so in street trim (I'm not sure on what octane, but his best on race gas was 11.16).

Around here, we can get 94 Octane, so I should be able to run enough boost. I'm not a fan of alky, I see it as just another thing to fill up (like nitrous).

I think my main problem will be the 60ft. I also want to build a Buick that can turn (not road racing, just a nice cruiser instead of having the I'm driving a barn feeling). The higher spring rates and less weight transfer will definitely work against me. Ohwell, we'll see eventually. I guess this is the one good thing about my car still being for sale... I get to learn more before I do find a Buick.

This doesn't mean I won't be running race gas. :cool: