Maximum Safe Horsepower Out of a Stock Unopened 86-87 TR Engine

krkrzyrflbch

How much horsepower can you safely get out of a stock 86-87 Turbo Regal Engine without doing any internal work to it? Would also like some suggestions on what to do to accomplish this number.

Somewhere in the upper 300 to low 400HP range. Mid 11's is very safe for a 100% "every day" daily driver.

I made 480/500 rwhp/rwtq with bolt ons on a 90,000 mile car thats on race gas but its doable . You didnt say pump gas daily driver you will need an intercooler ,turbo ,injectors ,torque convertor, downpipe ,double fuel pumps that should get you there .

Im at around 500 rwhp, stock long block. Only thing that's been changed are the valvesprings.

My own "Quick 6" has 67,000 miles with still the original powerplant and has an amazing 1400+ quarter mile passes all at 11.50 to mid 12's

I would estimate that with my weight at 3625lbs my car would be in the 425-440hp range to run 11.50's at 116mph

I raced in NHRA division 6 for 6 years and this car was consistant, I was very lucky to win many, many times, but mostly due to the car never letting me down.

Except for the broken torque strap in Bakersfiled right after a Kenny Dutweiller run (big crowd wanted to show everyone what a stock Canadian car could run)

Don't race as much anymore, but it is now street driven a lot more (like just this weekend) and is still as fun as ever !!!

Attachments

• Feb25 005 (Small).jpg
    Feb25 005 (Small).jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 449
  • March8 002 (Small).jpg
    March8 002 (Small).jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 449
HP doesn't matter, ET is where it's at. I never pulled into the staging beams at the track and saw a dyno in the other lane. My GN with a consistent bracket race tune consistently ran in the 11.2x range on 110 octane, stock motor with valve springs(979s, not even 980s). Race weight was 3690 lbs with me in it, I have a room full of trophies and the time slips to back it up. Car made 30-40 passes a weekend when I ran friday, saturday and sunday. Living a few minutes away from the track has its advantages.

My own "Quick 6" has 67,000 miles with still the original powerplant and has an amazing 1400+ quarter mile passes all at 11.50 to mid 12's

I would estimate that with my weight at 3625lbs my car would be in the 425-440hp range to run 11.50's at 116mph

I raced in NHRA division 6 for 6 years and this car was consistant, I was very lucky to win many, many times, but mostly due to the car never letting me down.

Except for the broken torque strap in Bakersfiled right after a Kenny Dutweiller run (big crowd wanted to show everyone what a stock Canadian car could run)

Don't race as much anymore, but it is now street driven a lot more (like just this weekend) and is still as fun as ever !!!

Nice house!

If there is absolutely no detonation and other issues you are good to at least 123-125mph in a 3500 lb car. About 550-600 hp. To maximize the hp potential you would be giving up a lot as far as driveablilty. Id look at a 66GTQ(preferably ball bearing) @25-27 psi, front mount, built trans with a good converter, fuel system (pump(s), injectors), a stand alone with wideband correction (for reliability) and data logging, some experience with one of these cars, and a lot of other things i forgot to mention. This is all while running c16 and having a really good tune. Any detonation at all and your done. I dont know why you would want to push the unopened engine that far when its easier and cheaper to build an engine that will leave you more piece of mind.

Yep Bison is correct!

I took my unopened 150k mile daily driver GN in to the 11:30's for half the year with no problems at all using a PT-61 w/ .63 housing. The day came when I said screw it, it's time to port my heads people told me your gonna blow it up. I didn't believe them. I'm "that guy" that needs to find out on his own. lol Well I ported my iron heads along with a PT-67 P trim w/ .85 housing and bam the third run 10.80's block cracked in half and took out the trans bell housing. OUCH!! :p That sure hurt my wallet! Word to the wise! Don't do 10's with a high mileage TR with stock mains or you will drive over your crank and pieces of your block. ;)

Yep Bison is correct!

I took my unopened 150k mile daily driver GN in to the 11:30's for half the year with no problems at all using a PT-61 w/ .63 housing. The day came when I said screw it, it's time to port my heads people told me your gonna blow it up. I didn't believe them. I'm "that guy" that needs to find out on his own. lol Well I ported my iron heads along with a PT-67 P trim w/ .85 housing and bam the third run 10.80's block cracked in half and took out the trans bell housing. OUCH!! :p That sure hurt my wallet! Word to the wise! Don't do 10's with a high mileage TR with stock mains or you will drive over your crank and pieces of your block. ;)

Were you datalogging or monitoring knock and AFR at the time?

Was there any knock involved in this carnage?

Were you datalogging or monitoring knock and AFR at the time?

Was there any knock involved in this carnage?

No knock running C-16 and misting Alky. Just hard 18 psi trans brake launches. I think that was one of the main culprits. The crank broke in half.

Times in my sig are with a 60k shortblock. To be on the safe side the stock shortblock will live a long time under 120 in the 1/4. Probably last forever. 124-125 can be done easilly, but how many times??