Motor making a pounding noise

pretty much. If you're VERY lucky, it might be the crank/flexplate bolts but I've NEVER heard of them making that much noise (or coming loose for that matter).

The easiest way to eliminate the tranny as the culprit is to take those three bolts out, push the TC back and start the engine. If the noise shuts up, it's the tranny. If it's still banging around, my guess is #6 rod.

Well did you find a loose bolt on the torque converter

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

remove all of the TC bolts, slide coverter away from engine, start car. If noise goes away its your tranny...if it is still there its your engine

Bryan

Listen to Jerryl
Pull the inspection cover to find out

There are no easy answers to this one

But if I had to swag something - based upon your observations of the noises emanating from the flywheel area - I'd lean pump

What about the pump. Is it bad? need replacing? Where is this inspection cover? I know very little about transmission. Or about engines. Or about buicks. Or about TURBO BUICKS!

Well sorry i was wrong it was a suggestion to what might have been an easy fix :(

remove all of the TC bolts, slide coverter away from engine, start car. If noise goes away its your tranny...if it is still there its your engine

Bryan
I'll do that tommorw. I guess that's pretty start forward and would narrow it down big time. Thanks!

Well sorry i was wrong it was a suggestion to what might have been an easy fix :(

Oh yeah definetly I was praying it was just a loose bolt. How awesome would that be?!? But unfortunately we have an unconditional love for a car that hardly loves us back. Or maybe I should just be speaking for myself lol

pretty much. If you're VERY lucky, it might be the crank/flexplate bolts but I've NEVER heard of them making that much noise (or coming loose for that matter).

The easiest way to eliminate the tranny as the culprit is to take those three bolts out, push the TC back and start the engine. If the noise shuts up, it's the tranny. If it's still banging around, my guess is #6 rod.
:( :( :( what do you think my chances are (make me feel better)

Remove the passenger side cover please, check for broken rockers or bent pushrods.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Remove the passenger side cover please, check for broken rockers or bent pushrods.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Shouldn't I unbolt the TC first and see if it even is the trans. And if not then that would be the frst thing to check on the motor? Or no..?

I call it the 'newbie curse'. Easy repairs can get ignored for a very short amount of time and turn nuclear.

These cars are fast enough to still be fun even when they are in a poor state of tune. That's the absolute worst time to be beating on them. Simple stuff like bad hoses can cause a catastrophic meltdown and shit can get real with a quickness.

1st gear donuts don't load the tranny near as much as a simple green light launch.

In your case, I'm guessing you're in the market for at least a crankshaft, at least one rod, all the bearings, and all the gaskets, maybe a cam kit. And if you're going to go through all the trouble for a rebuild, I'd toss the used china timing cover too. It's never cheaper to do it twice instead of right.

I had the same problem. . .lifter went bad. . Sounded very very similar. .lifter was dirty got discharged. . Sounded like shit. Thought I through a rod. . . .

:( :( :( what do you think my chances are (make me feel better)

Honestly, I'm thinking you have a winter beater in your near future. These engines are picky about oiling and they get very bitchy when they have none. I was worried you damaged the bottom end when you were running the car with no oil. The perfect time to show itself was during some free revving lateral-G donuts.

I call it the 'newbie curse'. Easy repairs can get ignored for a very short amount of time and turn nuclear.

These cars are fast enough to still be fun even when they are in a poor state of tune. That's the absolute worst time to be beating on them. Simple stuff like bad hoses can cause a catastrophic meltdown and shit can get real with a quickness.

1st gear donuts don't load the tranny near as much as a simple green light launch.

In your case, I'm guessing you're in the market for at least a crankshaft, at least one rod, all the bearings, and all the gaskets, maybe a cam kit. And if you're going to go through all the trouble for a rebuild, I'd toss the used china timing cover too. It's never cheaper to do it twice instead of right.

Ohhhhh earl you're bustin my balls now! That's the lowest!!! But no if it is that bad I guess I'll have a little fun with it and crack open my piggy bank.

Your car is not your daily driver is it in other words its not your only way around to work and school

What Earl is trying to say is Happy Holidays...you now know what to ask Santa for...

Bryan

I had the same problem. . .lifter went bad. . Sounded very very similar. .lifter was dirty got discharged. . Sounded like shit. Thought I through a rod. . . .

Which lifter was it? And it made the same noise?!

Your car is not your daily driver is it in other words its not your only way around to work and school

Oh yes it is hahah but I'm gonna buy another beater this week so I can get through winter.