Need help! Questions about stereo setups.

92 Z-28

UN-BOOSTED
This is my setup as of now. MB quart components (two 6.5" subs, two 4" mids, and two 1.5" tweets), two Kicker Comp VR 12's, a Punch Power series 200x4 and a Power series 360x2. My problem is I dont have enough dough for the Audiowizzard pods, and I cant think of any other way of mounting the components. So I was thinking I can sell my components (my brother wants them really bad) and sell my 200x4 amp too, then buy dash speakers, 6x9's with adaptors (where do you get these?), buy CSII door pods and speakers that go in them, and power them off of my head unit. And I would use the 360x2 for the 12's. PLEASE tell me if this will work, or if you have any other ideas for me.

Thanks in advance,

Adam
berman8or@aol.com

I seem to remember someone else that is making door pods for a little less than what Audiowizard is selling his for. Granted the others didn't look as fancy, but when you have no money, looks are the last thing on your mind. lol

Do a search, it wasn't that long ago that i saw the thread.

Dash spkrs compared to what you have now are an absolute slap in the face in sound quality comparison. hehe You already have the expensive part of the project, I would say just hold out and save some more money until you can afford to get some pods. You will be MUCH happier in the end. :)

HTH's

Replying to your private message here since it told me my reply was too long ;)

Right now I'm running a single 10" Earthquake sub in a bandpass box with an earthquake amp (it's an all-in-one type setup.) Works ok, but would be better in a hatchback car. I'll soon be upgrading to a single Audiobahn 12" in a sealed box up on the rear shelf which will be run by a HiFonics amp.

Direct fit in the dash... just about any 3.5" speaker as long as it doesn't have a tweeter or surround that extends up beyond the mounting points much (~ 1/8th inch max) or it'll interfere with the dash cover. I have some Pioneer's in mine that were a direct fit, but these were bought around 4 yeras ago. Just have to shop around a bit here.... :) If you decide to go with CS2 pods, I've been happy with the Cerwin Vega's & have used Pioneer before with good results. Just watch out on the depth, you can't go much beyond the stock speakers depth (~ 1/4" or so) without hitting the window assembly "guts."

The components & amp will sound MUCH better if you can stand to wait until you can get some door pods made. Your alternative will be A LOT better than stock & is a good direction to go for budget minded people, but if you want a top notch system you may end up being disappointed with the results. I've been pretty happy with my current setup but have decided to step it up a notch so to speak since I plan on driving my T quite a bit more than I have for the last few years.

Doug C.

Originally posted by mcss383
I seem to remember someone else that is making door pods for a little less than what Audiowizard is selling his for. Granted the others didn't look as fancy, but when you have no money, looks are the last thing on your mind. lol

Yeah, its justa6! He is having a friend make the CSII replicas for the larger drivers (the 6.5") for $50.00 and he would be the person to talk to about them. They are functional like mine are for a lot less dough so if you are trying to save money. Here is the link to the thread:

CS II replicas speaker covers

OK, so if I get the CSII pods for the 6.5's where does the tweet and 4" mid go?

Thanks again

Originally posted by 92 Z-28

Thanks again

Since his CSII covers are for the stock location, you will not have room for a 4" driver. For your set-up, you will have to cut the top of door panel above the CSII pod for the tweeter and install the 6.5 in the stock location. If you want the 4" to fit in all of that space, you will need a "Much larger" CS II pod to fit all of your drivers (Like the ones in my '86 GN) which will not work with his aftermarket covers. I bet he can have them custom built to fit "all" of your drivers but I am sure that will cost more than the $50.00 that he is charging now for the 6.5" location CSII pod covers. Just e-mail him for some more info, I am sure that he can accomodate you.

Granted this runs up the bill, but some kicks would be a great place for the 4" and tweet.

Something else you could do is eliminagte the 4" for the moment. www.partsexpress.com sells 2-way x-overs. The ones from Dayton are good quality units and don't cost much. With this, you could run just the 6.5" in the door pod from justa6 (thanks Ed) and then mount the tweeter elsewhere. A quick non-destructive fix would be to suspend the tweeter in front of the 6.5" Not sure on the clearances of justa6's panels, but if there is space you could do that.

This would be a cost effective way to get some good sound for now until you can save up more money to get a set of kicks for the 4" and tweet. When you do that just go back to the MBQ 3-way x-over and your set!

HTH's

Thanks for the replys! I e-mailed jsta6 a while ago and have not heard back from him.

Thanks again

If you remove the stock plastic kick panel you will find a opening in the metal there, if you build a small plate you can fit a 4" and tweet down there (done tons of them). You take the stock kick panel, cut the opening then epoxy some metal mesh (from a old pair of 6x9 grills) to the plastic then cover in some grill cloth from Radio Shack or partsexpress.com. This will give you great sound being in the kicks, will be protected from your feet and you don't have to cut up those expensive door panels in your car.

That is a very good idea. :) I still havent heard back from Jsta6 though. :(

If you don't hear from Jsta6, I may have what you need. Just e-mail me for details.