Need someone to weld my heads to the block

I am curious to know your results. I have had the exact thing happen to me 3 years in a row with different combos. I will be degreeing my cam next to take out one more variable.

I am curious to know your results. I have had the exact thing happen to me 3 years in a row with different combos. I will be degreeing my cam next to take out one more variable.

Just wondering; Why do you think cam timing would cause HG failure if the car runs correctly?

I agree, it's a long shot, but the only common things left to this problem are the block and the cam. I have changed everything else, every tune possible with no knock.
I have recently been told that even after machining for cometics it still may not have been flat enough. One suggestion was to get a milled bar and hand lap the surfaces to make sure they are flat.

I think the most common denominator here is the aluminum heads.

Any one seeing this with irons?

I'm thinking that the knock gauge and WB needs to be trusted a little less. The WB is just an average if the 6. I think individual plug readings need to be done. Maybe one of the cylinders is running a little lean. Just went through this with a stroker with xfi, Champion intake, etc.... no knock, wideband numbers looked good, but 2 cylinders melted spark plug electrodes. Those 2 cylinders ended up needing more fuel than the rest. Unfortunately this was figured out after a blown cometic with a torched head. We put it back together, ran it again and it damaged it again. After adding the fuel...problem was fixed.
Do you guys have alky btw?

The first time it happened was with stock ported irons, now GN1's. Torched cylinders 1 and 2.
This round added double fuel pumps, egt's in the headers were in the 1400 to 1500 range. Dual nozzle alky, 98 octane this time. Has happened on Vp 109 as well.

The first time it happened was with stock ported irons, now GN1's. Torched cylinders 1 and 2.
This round added double fuel pumps, egt's in the headers were in the 1400 to 1500 range. Dual nozzle alky, 98 octane this time. Has happened on Vp 109 as well.

You have what looks like an identical combo to the car we had issues on....but it did with alky and c16! Couple of theories is the Meth is not going to 1 and 2 with the champion intake, configuration of champion fuel rail using stock regulator location, poor distribution of air to the front cylinders. This is getting interesting seeing the same combo having the same issues.

After the first round I tried head clamps as well, no difference. I have a -8 line feeding champ rails, Aeromotive Regulator at the rear of the intake with a -6 line. My afr's were 10.8 this round. Removed the RJC dist. plate and added a 1/2" spacer as well. Pretty sad when your boost gauge depends on what rad cap you are running.....:rolleyes:

Ok, I'm thinking intakes now. All 3 of these cars are relying on a dual nozzle system which means the tune is needing the alcky for fuel in all 6 cylinders. If one or 2 cylinders are not getting the alchy they need, then they will Lean out and cause detonation. Ws6, you have the same champion intake with the same cylinders leaning out as the car I put together. After fuel was added there, car ran good. Maybe you guys should try a nonalchy tune when you get them all back together. This Will at least elimimate The alchy theory I have.

Sorry, I should clarify that it's a Champion ported stock intake. It happened with my old SMC system, 75lb inj, and Razor system 83lb inj. Using studs, torqued at 10ft lb increments, heat cycled on the stand this time as well.
I agree, the one common factor seems to be the meth.

The only time ive hurt them is when i leaned out cylinders. I hurt alot more than the gasket when i did too. Plenty of cylinder pressure here. 25+psi, 9.3:1, 218/224. Fwiw ive welded and resurfaced my heads a couple times. Havent had failure in the same areas either.

Wow...definitely not an issue on how the engine is setup then. I've seen rpe's work first hand and its definitely top notch. Maybe you have an issue in the tune? Is it the same hole each time that's causing it? I've been working on a car that blew a cometic and it turned out #1 and #2 needed additional fuel added into those cylinders through the xfi. No knock was present in the logs either.

I agree. I would give Cal a call and work with him from this point forward.

Hope this helps.

I could buy the alky theory if every car was leaning #1 and #2 but on a c16 fueled car? IDK :confused:

Other thing that raises a red flag, why are these fast systems not seeing knock? You would think with this kind of damage knock would be eminent.

I could buy the alky theory if every car was leaning #1 and #2 but on a c16 fueled car? IDK :confused:

Other thing that raises a red flag, why are these fast systems not seeing knock? You would think with this kind of damage knock would be eminent.

Does there have to be knock (detonation ) to push a head gasket?? Im just asking the question!! Suscribed Mike:cool:

Don't forget the XFI software bug that was recently exposed. (non functional knock retard)

Bob

The box would still display knock, it just wasn't retarding timing. Anytime I come across knock on a car running C16 it is false knock.

Phoneguy: Have you tried logging coolant pressure? It might give you an idea when the problem is occuring.

Don't forget the XFI software bug that was recently exposed. (non functional knock retard)

Bob

The bug just keeps the XFI from retarding the timing when it sees the knock correct? You will still see the knock on your log.

The box would still display knock, it just wasn't retarding timing. Anytime I come across knock on a car running C16 it is false knock.

Phoneguy: Have you tried logging coolant pressure? It might give you an idea when the problem is occuring.

Damn, you beat me to it.
No I haven't logged coolant pressure, another of those cool logging tools I don't have.

Bryan