New Buick heads up class (67 turbo, etc...)

I dont see 9.30-9.40 being out of the question. I can think of several ways to extract a lot more out of the 200 transmission. The mods would be expensive but almost required if you wanted to compete effectively. Trans brakes should always be allowed in any drag racing class. Using a 3 speed trans would remove a lot of cost from this class.

I have no idea where you guys come up with this. Before its over you guys will have them going faster than TSO.

I'mstarting to think this class may not be such a great idea. I dont want to offend anyone but this is my opinion...

Keep TSM cars in TSM, How can the Averge Joe compete with a 9.40s TSM if all he has to do is put on a 67GTQ, Built 2004-r and a coil pack setup? I would have a hard enough time trying to go 10.50s repeatedly LOL! So many big ticket items allowed would make for faster cars and quicker times, but limit the ones who can afford to compete. Some of you are great tuners, builders, or can afford to go to the best and thats great. I just would think a car with XFI, BB67HPQ, Race Ported GN-1s, and a $4000 tranny and converter setup, would be like 6ft 4in 6th grader...who wants to fight with him, let alone expect to win.:redface:

I was planning on upgrading to a 70mm turbo this winter, but now I am considering keeping the 67. Any talks of this class in BG? I agree that transbrakes should be allowed. How would you monitor it if they are not. Tear trannys apart?

John

I'd say 61 turbo, 200R4,109 block, full weight car, chip, no alum heads and of course drag radials, and run threw the exhaust .. hey its a street car class .. I bet there would be a HUGE turnout for the class :cool:

and maybe put a requirment for "stock unmodified" balancers only. (No BHJ or Buick Motorsports) This way 98% of us can play, and it would be a low 11 - 10 second class.
[/B]

Patrick

Patrick why no balancers??? we did it to make our car LEGAL .. 10.99 ya need one .. we got tired of getting kicked out of tracks for safety stuff:confused: ya I know BG and other "club" events don't require any safety stuff but why penalize some that do . Hell we took the motor out just to rip apart and rebalanced it with an sfi balancer.

The only change to the proposed rules would be 67mm P trim! Now that's a HOT STREET turbo!

TAI looks like it has the potential for 9.40's. (especially with team grumpy)

TAI looks like it has the potential for 9.40's. (especially with team grumpy)

ummmmm... I don't think so:p .. the "driver/owner" said she has more important things to do right now..selling her house that she just bought 9 months ago and then buyin something a little bigger with a garage (for a lift for her car) :rolleyes: We really didn't get much track time this year.. She had to WORK :eek: as far as the class dropppin to 9.40 ??? lots of guys running big set ups with 70+ turbo's .. so anything can happen :biggrin:
Oh TAI is where we would race if we show up. Thats why I thought a little smaller turbo would get a ton of people to race in .. guess we will see how everything gets hashed out .. Winter is almost here :cool:

I'd say 61 turbo, 200R4,109 block, full weight car, chip, no alum heads and of course drag radials, and run threw the exhaust .. hey its a street car class .. I bet there would be a HUGE turnout for the class :cool:

Change that to 62MM so people can run the new Precision unit and I think Dan has a winner!!!!

Change that to 62MM so people can run the new Precision unit and I think Dan has a winner!!!!

ya that would prob work to BUT I think Melissa has helped to sell a LOT of 66/67 turbos out there:p .. so there are a lot of potential racers there. you really never know how many will actually race the car that fast though :confused: seriously I'd say no bigger than a 62 and you "should" have one hell of a class :cool:

ummmmm... I don't think so:p .. the "driver/owner" said she has more important things to do right now..selling her house that she just bought 9 months ago and then buyin something a little bigger with a garage (for a lift for her car) :rolleyes: We really didn't get much track time this year.. She had to WORK :eek: as far as the class dropppin to 9.40 ??? lots of guys running big set ups with 70+ turbo's .. so anything can happen :biggrin:
Oh TAI is where we would race if we show up. Thats why I thought a little smaller turbo would get a ton of people to race in .. guess we will see how everything gets hashed out .. Winter is almost here :cool:

It wouldnt be out of the question based on what Kevin B listed for rules. A TSM car with a smaller cam and the 67 GTQ is only giving up a little vs the 70. And only on the compressor side where theres less of a restriction anyway. If you took the fastest in TSM cars and just switched turbos and transmissions and hit the weight i wouldnt be suprised to see 9.50-9.60. Now if they built around the smaller turbo with a little less cam i wouldnt be suprised at all if they went 9.40. This is all assuming race ported GN1 or TA heads. I think iron heads would be a great idea or have a 400 lb penalty for aluminum heads. Id take the lighter car with iron heads for reliability anyday. I agree on the smaller turbo too. Soon we will see those tiny turbos with Q trim exhaust wheels:biggrin: . Its still a high $ class if you want to even be close to winning.

I have no idea where you guys come up with this. Before its over you guys will have them going faster than TSO.

When you see TSM running 9.10's in the high 140's with a 70 like they do these days its very easy to imagine.

I think iron heads would be a great idea or have a 400 lb penalty for aluminum heads.

I'd like to see just steel heads to. Would make it easier on their pocket book. Its suppose to be a street car class so to me the simpler the car is the better :cool:

I'd like to see just steel heads to. Would make it easier on their pocket book. Its suppose to be a street car class so to me the simpler the car is the better :cool:

I've had aluminum heads on my 100% street driven car for 6 years with no problems.

When you see TSM running 9.10's in the high 140's with a 70 like they do these days its very easy to imagine.

Try 150 mph now! :eek: If you have seen the car that ran that speed you'd think it was a stock GN from the outside and other than the safety stuff it looks like a stocker on the inside. It's a beautifle stock appearing car. It looks like someone took a GN off the showroom floor, put a rollbar in it and put down a low 9 at 150mph.

I've had aluminum heads on my 100% street driven car for 6 years with no problems.

whats your point :confused: we have been running steel heads and beating the hell out of them since 86 with no issues.. they are trying to make a class for street cars . some don't want to spend $$ for alum heads .. thats all we were saying. :cool: I think its goin to be difficult to please everyone :redface:

I'm not well versed in the alum head vs steel heads to know what's fair, but if there is a set number that seems fair 100lbs-200lbs I don't think this is an issue if the majority agrees. I think a lot of consessions need to be made to fit the biggest amount of people into this class as possible. Again, I think it should be a 200 trans class, but I fully undersand the 350/400 side too.

I know my "norther cuba" posse (since we're not considered north or south) ran a 9.50 something in tsm trim with steal heads if that means anything.

I think the turbine wheel needs to have a maximum measurement.
Why not limit them to something in the P Trim range?
What about limiting the down pipe to 3 inches too?