New Project... 1935 Ford Sedan

murphster

This is my dads car that he bought this spring at Carlisle. I bought my Grand National from him a few years ago and since then he's thought of doing a project and using the turbo V6 to get more power and better gas mileage compared to a regular 350 V8. Plus he wants to do something different.

He got a good deal on the '35. All kinds of good parts and a new fatboy frame, a new Mustang front end, a new 350 motor, TH350 trans, and a bnuch of other stuff. He's getting the old motor from my clone that had a bad thrust bearing and the trans from my GN that needs a rebuild. I got a good crank for the motor thats ready to drop in and he'll have to find someone down near him (South Carolina) to do the trans. A friend and I went through our parts and I've bought some parts that were missing, but we now have a complete turbo setup with every sensor, bracket, etc including turbo, downpipe, IC, harness, you name it thats ready to go.

Here's some pictures of the car as it is:

Attachments

• Car_&__Chelsea_007.jpg
    Car_&__Chelsea_007.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 1,598
  • Car_&__Chelsea_011.jpg
    Car_&__Chelsea_011.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,614
  • Car_&__Chelsea_012.jpg
    Car_&__Chelsea_012.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,631
My dad has all the fenders, hood etc too. We already know he'll have some issues with the motor mounts and transmission mount, but hopefully they will be easy to fix. There may be an issue of clearance with a stock IC in the stock location and they may be the biggest challenge, but we'll see once the engine is mocked up.

The project is starting in the next couple of weeks, and I'll update the thread from time to time.

My dad is thinking a lime green/aqua blue color. Here's what a '35 Ford Sedan looks like complete though:

Attachments

• 1935_ford_sedan2.jpg
    1935_ford_sedan2.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 1,609
  • 1935_ford_sedan.jpg
    1935_ford_sedan.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,610
Subscribed! Natacarlo was wanting to do the same thing but I think he gave up on the idea.

If a stock I/C doesn't fit you could try an older (Cartech) style frontmount (like I have on my car) where both pipes are on the same side, only mount it vertically instead of horizontally, and run the pipes under the radiator. :eek::confused:;)

update:

My dad picked up the engine, trans, harness, and a bunch of stuff from me a few weeks ago. Took a while but I think we've finally got all the little parts together to get it running. Last thing he has to do is order the fuel pump.

He had the trans redone by Sid Neal in Georgia with a basically stock rebuild. He got the engine in today and was welding up the motor mount locations. Its tighter than he thought because of the narrowing of the front end, but everything is going to fit.

Here's the parts he picked up from me and the freshly rebuilt tranny with the shifter already mounted:

Attachments

• Car Pictures 005.jpg
    Car Pictures 005.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,318
Here's some pictues of what the car looked like getting ready to put the motor in. The firewall color is what color the car will be painted. Its a blue granite metallic from GM.

Attachments

• Car Pictures 002.jpg
    Car Pictures 002.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 1,355
  • Car Pictures 001.jpg
    Car Pictures 001.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,295
  • Car Pictures 003.jpg
    Car Pictures 003.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 1,276
Here's some pics of the motor in! I was trying to talk him into getting the headers and downpipe coated.

Attachments

• Car Pictures 011.jpg
    Car Pictures 011.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,313
  • Car Pictures 010.jpg
    Car Pictures 010.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,287
Finally, here's a picture with the hood and front end mocked up. I think its going to look pretty good. The wiring will be coming next, along with the exhaust. Its going to be a 2.5" dual exhaust setup custom fabbed by a local guy. And my dad already has a y pipe and electric cutout for it. :biggrin:

The only minor hiccup was that they moved the engine around a little bit for clearance and this moved the trans a little from where the TH350 was. The driveshaft might have to be modified.

Attachments

• Car Pictures 007.jpg
    Car Pictures 007.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,285
She runs! Got the car running on Saturday. My dad actually drove it a little today. All told, only about 6 weeks from when my dad picked up the drivetrain from me (as shown a few posts up) until everything was installed and running.

I was down in South Carolina last week and gave a hand finishing getting the rest of the electrical, sensors and fuel pump hooked up. We had all the harnesses from a GN, which made things easier. Once we found the fuel pump hot wire in the harness the pump was pretty easy to hook up. He's using an external pump kit from Racetronix. Luckily the car already had a GM steering column so the ignition was pretty easy to hook up to the harness. We ended up using a Caspers field fix unit for the alternator instead of worrying about the voltage light or the correct resistance. Got a scan master hooked up real easy too.

Hooked up the battery and after connecting the fuel pump prime connector, fuel pressure was right there. Only a couple drips coming from some fuel connectors underneath the engine that were tightened quickly. After that, no leaks whatsoever. After setting the TPS we unplugged the ecm and turned it over just to see if we could get the oil pump to prime on its own. After no luck, we unhooked the cam sensor and spun it with a chevy prime tool. Still no oil pressure. The oil cooler lines and adpater had been removed so there was no easy was to get oil into the pump. So the next day the oil pump was removed and packed with Vaseline. Viola, instant oil pressure. After hooking up and setting the cam sensor, she started right up.

I'm back home now and my dad still needs to check a few things like the IAC, electric fan, etc, but it runs! I definitely learned a lot on the electrical side of things, and was ready for troubleshooting in case it didn't run. We had all the manuals loaded up onto the computer, and some hardcopy books, which helped with decoding and verifying some of the harness wires, for sure.

After hooking up the rest of the gauges and dash, next up will be a full paint job and new interior. Should get dropped off by the end of January for those and be ready near the end of March or so. It would be cool if its ready for the TurboBuick.com nationals since its in the neighborhood. The cars pretty light so it should be pretty quick even stock, but I'd love to talk my dad into throwing on an alky kit next summer to bring the boost up to 19-20 lbs.

My dad got a custom 2.5" dual exhaust made for it locally with Dynomax Ultra Flows he ordered from Summit based on my recommendation. He also got a DMH electric cutout for it with a QTP y pipe. I like the DMH electric cutouts much better than the QTPs. They also made a custom downpipe for it after the elbow and attached it to the y pipe with a band clamp for easy removal. It looks pretty good and was cheaper than anything that could be ordered.

I'll try to post up some updated pictures soon. A video of it running hopefully too.

Here's some pictues of what the car looked like getting ready to put the motor in. The firewall color is what color the car will be painted. Its a blue granite metallic from GM.

Looks like one of my old T's color.. Caddy color from what I remember. Car is lookin good :cool:

Attachments

• cars2.JPG
    cars2.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,145
Update!

My dad has been driving the car around. In two weeks its going for new interior and paint. Its running well and all the electrical works fine. A new MAF pipe needs to be made so that the air filter stays inside the engine compartment. The wheels had to be changed because with the backspace on the old wheels they rubbed just a little. I like the new wheels better.

Here is how the car looks right now:

Attachments

• 100_1024.jpg
    100_1024.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 711
  • 100_1025.jpg
    100_1025.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 697
Here are some interior pics, showing progression from what it looked like at the beggining to what it is right now.

Attachments

• 100_0727.jpg
    100_0727.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 685
  • 100_0787.jpg
    100_0787.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 709
  • 100_1028.jpg
    100_1028.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 691
  • 100_0841.jpg
    100_0841.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 713
My dad also replaced the roof. It had a screwed in tin roof, now has a welded on roof from an early '90s Blazer. You can see the tin roof in the first picture.

Attachments

• tin_roof.jpg
    tin_roof.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 696
  • 100_0785.jpg
    100_0785.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 705
  • 100_0802.jpg
    100_0802.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 700
  • 100_1026.jpg
    100_1026.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 699
35 Ford

that's awesome Murph! we will induct your Dad to the club and bring that toy to one of our Hooters meet:biggrin:

Very nice Murph. I actually like the filter sticking out. Looks a little different from the others.

charlief1 said:
Very nice Murph. I actually like the filter sticking out. Looks a little different from the others.

Yes, but there are the side skirts for the hood/front end too. Wouldn't be able to use them with the filter like that. When you park the car, they can be folded up to show off the engine or, obviously, they can be removed.

justin84 said:
Subscribed! Is your dad in South Carolina?

Yes, he lives there.