New Regal T?

I do not understand how many of you think at all.

The op compares it to a T or T type, if you do that is up to you, get over the "soiling" of the name or whatever.

The GTO did not sell because it was not a good looking car, not necessarily a retro GTO, although if they did that well, it probably would sell.

Many people like fwd, especially if you live in northern climates, if you only like rwd, fine, vote with your wallet.

This crap about looking like a import or european, whatever is bs. I like "cars", some american, some not, have a soft spot for buick, always have, but all of these cars have input from EVERYWHERE. Is it better to buy this Buick that is not made here or designed here, than buying say a new Hyundai Sonata Turbo (that is REALLY impressive by the way) that was partly designed by Hyundai North America, and is assembled in Alabama????

Come on guys, whether we like it or not, it has become a global economy, this "buick" looks nice, it is amongnst a small list of cars my wife and I will look at next summer, that is all, GM is not trying to make us forget a GN, hell many that work there probably do not even know what a GN is.

Oh, and the way these cars look, has much to do with their coefficient of drag, which in turn has much to do with their gas mileage, and other things.

Gas mileage is going to be very important for these companies, and us, if it is not already, i would not expect a return to the old "brick" styling any time soon.

I looked at the new Regals on the showroom last week. I just can't make myself like them. The G8 was bad ass and is IMO the only family car GM has made in the last 10 years that makes me want to buy a new car........and they quit making them:mad:

No wonder they are having trouble making $$$$. On top of that, they have taken the diesel market to a point where a new truck costs as much as a nice house. I'll never buy new again:(

I looked at the new Regals on the showroom last week. I just can't make myself like them. The G8 was bad ass and is IMO the only family car GM has made in the last 10 years that makes me want to buy a new car........and they quit making them:mad:

No wonder they are having trouble making $$$$. On top of that, they have taken the diesel market to a point where a new truck costs as much as a nice house. I'll never buy new again:(

Right there with ya.

I guess we are a dieing minority and I am 'voting' with my wallet. I haven't bought a car since '92. Wrong wheel drive doesn't appeal to me. I bought the only one I've ever had in '92 and I will probably never buy another. Since I have only bought trucks and most of them have been 'preowned'.

Why would I buy new when I can get a couple of years old one someone else has taken the biggest part of the depreciation on and drive it until it won't run.

X2 on the G8, but only the gxp will do.

One more thing, if I hear Government Motors one more time I will remove the culprits balls and wear them as ear rings!:mad:

What are you trying to say? Don't keep it bottled up:biggrin:

I have pretty deep ties with that co. A bunch of my relatives have retired from there. My grandfather was on their pension longer than he worked there.

Still not happy with any type of bailout.

Would love to see a two door coupe, rear wheel drive, with plenty of power, a decent trunk and some style. They could call it Regal T, T-Type, Century, Centurion, Special, Gran Sport. I'd probably even buy one.

John,
From what I have heard, AWD will not be an option on the GS due to the fact that weight is a top priority because of CAFE requirements. We can hope though.

Rich,

The standard Regal and the base turbo model are FWD.
The GS will be AWD and the may offer the AWD on other flavors
once the production moves to Oshawa. Right now they are importing
units from Germany (Opel).

My uncle had a five hundred new ... we had to pick him up from beside the road 3 times :rolleyes: I wouldnt trust one to wally world an back jmo.

Any AMG benz is badass .... but your comparing lemons and oranges with these 2 cars.

My uncle had a five hundred new ... we had to pick him up from beside the road 3 times :rolleyes: I wouldnt trust one to wally world an back jmo.

Any AMG benz is badass .... but your comparing lemons and oranges with these 2 cars.

Well, sorry to hear about the misfortunes of your uncle...He probably got a "lemon"...Unfortunately, this happens with every car make every now and then, :rolleyes: even in Benz's. My late father owned several Benz and one of them had a water leak making the floor rust and a bad rotting smell inside the car which the dealer was never able to fix. :frown:
Both my older son and I have a Five Hundred and we never got stranded anywhere with them.
I know that a Ford Five Hundred is not in the same price range as a Mercedes-Benz, BUT the difference in quality between them is not proportional to the difference in the price you pay for the Benz!...:rolleyes:

Claude. :wink:

In 2 years when my lease on my V6 Altima is up I'll be looking real close at this one. Looks right up my alley.

Yeah up my ally too except they won't take a trade on an 87 T LOL :eek:

my Max payment is $100 per month. I can't fathom paying more than that. :biggrin: Geuss I am stuck in the past. WAY PAST!

You can get a lemon in any car regardless of make or model. I sure there have been son Bugatti Veyrons slip out in less than desirable condition. I personally like the Buick and really don't really care if any one else does or not. Like I said before people looking to go back in time and get another new Turbo Regal of the 86-87 genre are in dream land. That would be like wishing for a new '57 Chevy. It ain't gonna happen guys. So we make best of what they make.

Another thing where is the brand loyalty around here. I have heard everything from Nissan to Yugo in this thread! :rolleyes:

Either you are a Buick/GM guy ar you're nothin more than a fair weather johnson/poser. Guess brand loyalty went the way of the DODO as well.

I'm through.

You can get a lemon in any car regardless of make or model. So we make best of what they make.
Either you are a Buick/GM guy ar you're nothin more than a fair weather johnson/poser. Guess brand loyalty went the way of the DODO as well.

I'm through.

I agree...:wink:...except for when it comes to "brand loyalty"...If your favorite car brand comes out with a car you don't like, isn't it normal to look else where instead of buying it, simply because it's your favorite brand?...:redface:

Claude. :cool:

You can get a lemon in any car regardless of make or model. I sure there have been son Bugatti Veyrons slip out in less than desirable condition. I personally like the Buick and really don't really care if any one else does or not. Like I said before people looking to go back in time and get another new Turbo Regal of the 86-87 genre are in dream land. That would be like wishing for a new '57 Chevy. It ain't gonna happen guys. So we make best of what they make.

Another thing where is the brand loyalty around here. I have heard everything from Nissan to Yugo in this thread! :rolleyes:

I'm through.

So I'm old and crotchety. I can dream. Who would have thought in the early eighties that Buick would come up with and produce a 'cult' car like the Grand National? Certainly not me. I was stuck on my '70 GS455 and didn't believe the performance of the turbo veesix was for real until I drove one.

As far as brand loyalty goes, I have owned two vehicles that weren't GM and both of them were Fords (a Mustang and an F150). All of my other cars have been Buick and all my other trucks have been Chevy. If that isn't loyalty I'm not sure what is.

I hope GM can get with the program and produce what I want, I will not part with my hard earned money. If not I'll keep buying 'preowned' and be glad to do it.

In review, I need, rear wheel drive, plenty of power, decent trunk, Two door coupe, then I will consider buying one. And just for the record, my wife thinks the pix of the one up thread look good.

Brand loyalty my azz...

I have owned two GN's, a riviera, 2 5.0's, 2 iroc-z's (5.0,5.7), a hurst olds, oh and a buick lesabre.

Currently we own my GN, a newer GS, and a new civic lease....

As you get older, when you live in a state like mine (NY) and get tired of unions bending the tax payer over, even though you have a soft spot for buicks, and GM, it starts to not become as important to you.

I am more than happy with my american made civic so far, I will live with the piss poor reliability of my canadian made GS, and even with the fact that it's paint falls off, alittle more each year...

Even though this has happened, I still love the look of the new regal, and I am just dumb enough to buy one when we do buy a new car this summer.

Say something to me about brand loyalty, yeah right.

Brand loyalty my azz...

I have owned two GN's, a riviera, 2 5.0's, 2 iroc-z's (5.0,5.7), a hurst olds, oh and a buick lesabre.

Currently we own my GN, a newer GS, and a new civic lease....

As you get older, when you live in a state like mine (NY) and get tired of unions bending the tax payer over, even though you have a soft spot for buicks, and GM, it starts to not become as important to you.

I am more than happy with my american made civic so far, I will live with the piss poor reliability of my canadian made GS, and even with the fact that it's paint falls off, alittle more each year...

Even though this has happened, I still love the look of the new regal, and I am just dumb enough to buy one when we do buy a new car this summer.

Say something to me about brand loyalty, yeah right.

Ok so you love your rice car and hate your piss poor Canadian GS. Hmmmm, yeah that is real brand loyalty there. If you are so happy with your Honda and hate your GS so bad, then perhaps you should stick with the rice (yes I said rice...it may be made here but it is designed and all the profit goes to Japan, Economics 101) and stay out of our crappy American cars.;)

Ok so you love your rice car and hate your piss poor Canadian GS. Hmmmm, yeah that is real brand loyalty there. If you are so happy with your Honda and hate your GS so bad, then perhaps you should stick with the rice (yes I said rice...it may be made here but it is designed and all the profit goes to Japan, Economics 101) and stay out of our crappy American cars.;)

Are you serious union man?

You do not have to explain economics to me although I am sure you have a thorough understanding of both macro, and micro.

Is that your comeback? Where the profits go? I would like the profits to go here, but yes, the paint falling off a 30K dollar car does bother me a bit, not as much as the refusal by GM to do anything about it, but hey, turn the other cheek huh?

Even after this I wrote earlier in this thread about liking this buick (designed and built in germany), but that is really not good enough for you huh, big guy?

Different stimuli (bad experiences with GS, unions, GM not helping out, bail out) have all brought me to the point of now being open minded on my purchases, but that is really not the union mentality is it?

Ladies and gentlemen, all you need to know about the american auto industry is in this quoted response, and I bet he does not even realize it...

One more thing, it seems like "rice" bothers you a bit, but i am going to bet you only show your "muscles" on the computer.

Have no problem saying something nasty when you are 1000 miles away, but up close and personal, well, i bet you just don't have it....

You see, truth be told, I love all kinds of cars, porsches, ferraris, corvettes, mustangs, you name it, and I would never tell a person what car he or she should like, or not like.

If I could have it any way, it would be american made, non union though. How much is it going to cost taxpayers the next time we have to rescue the uaw pension fund?

That's good. It means it made with a strong structure and will feel solid. I'm positive it will do well with crash survivability. That's one of the hallmarks of Buicks.

I get that solid feeling is good; but here are the specs between the Buick Regal and the Hyundai Sonata, supposedly same class;

now, the full weight RWD TRs are what, 3600 pounds and significantly larger, significantly more powerful; ostenably safer due to the massive amount of iron in the bumpers? (by the way, the bumper regulations were lowered to 2.5 MPH to compensate for MPG increases.....in 77+, which is why some cars bumpers gets demolished in very mild accidents but others are just fine)

turbocharged 4 cylinder is set at 220hp/258 torque, from a 2.L engine
for NA engines; 182 hp 172 torque versus 198 hp and 184 torque for the Hyundai
2011 Buick Regal 2011 Hyundai Sonata

Mfr. Curb Weight (lb): 3,600 3,161-3,316

Length (in): 190.2 189.8

Wheelbase (in): 107.8 110.0

Width (in): 73.1 72.2

Height (in): 58.4 57.9

Front Track (in): 62.4 62.9

Rear Track (in): 62.5 62.9

Turning Circle (ft): 37.4 35.8

Legroom, front (in): 42.1 45.6

Legroom, rear (in): 37.3 34.6

Headroom, front (in): 38.8 40.0

Headroom, rear (in): 36.8 37.8

Shoulder Room, front (in): 56.7 57.9

Shoulder Room, rear (in): 54.4 56.7

Hip Room, front (in): 55.4 55.2

Hip Room, rear (in): 52.3 54.9

Passenger Volume (cu-ft): 96.8 103.8

Cargo Volume (cu-ft): 14.2 16.4

Total Interior Volume (cu-ft): 111.1 120.2

source is Edmunds Inside Line blog dated December 10, 2009; but I have yet to find any other more recent sources stating different on the buick side.

We must also remeber that Buick has a Target audience. They're not going to put a sports coupe 400hp car for the "older"crowd. Also you can't just throw a big fast motor in there first run. Think of it like a slow morphine drip.. next thing you know GM will be producing Buicks to beat Corvettes again.. I know I know just let me dream...