oil filler tube leaking unmetered air

I think what brad was referring to was to cap the port on your MAF pipe(intake pipe) that goes to the oil fill tube...and replace the fill tube with a breather to vent crank case pressure. The cap would eliminate the sucking of unmetered air.

The stock setup simply aids in relieving positive crank case pressure by placing it in a vacuum so to speak and sucking the vapors into the throttle body. Some people have experienced mild smoking and some issues with excessive oil being sucked into the intake stream and hurting performance...that's why they remove it. This usually happens if your rings are worn and there is a higher than normal amount of crankcase pressure. The IC people remove this setup because it will eventually fill their intercoolers with oil and kill the cooling efficiency....hot airs don't have that issue. You can leave it in the stock configuration and it will be fine. Reseal the filler neck and it won't be sucking the unmetered air. I have a similar setup as brad and have eliminated the tube going into the MAF pipe....right or wrong, it works fine either way. I actually feel like the gm engineers were on to something with the stock setup as it would be a better way of relieving the positive crank case pressure better than an open breather....I'm just too lazy to figure out how to put it back with my chrome MAF pipe. Lol.

Thank you for the explanation , i appreciate your time . Ive done alot of reading and ive never seen anything saying these crankcase vapours cause engine knock

i did not know the crankcase pressure was not metered ,my bad . maybe i missed that page or something . still its nice to get a little info( instead of you got alot to learn ). I like to share solutions to problems i find with this car ,apparently others on here dont

I suppose it could cause some sort of knock if there was enough oil...but is think it would just smoke instead...idk, I've never experienced it myself. The only other way I could see it causing knock, is that the hot crankcase vapors would technically raise the intake air temp...causing KNR to come earlier...?? It's possible I suppose.

i dont think he was being rude billy,or belittling you ,just sometimes if you type into the search bar to exact ,you wont get what your looking for,then you have to create a new thred and guys have to cover the same stuff,would imagine it gets fustrating,brad has gave me nouthing but positive feed back the short time ive been on here,and you will learn theres alot of diffrent personalities on the forum,but everybody will help with your car either way;)

Does the filler cap act as a vent on these (assuming it is not clogged up with dirt and sludge)?

Just asking to keep the pot stirred up:)