Oil less air compressors any good?

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
Found a guy near me selling a 33 gallon 150 psi upright Craftman air compressor that runs on 120VAC power. He's also including an impact wrench, an air ratchet and an air hammer. I believe all the tools are Craftsman and they're the standard Craftsman line, and not the professional series.

Guy wants $200 for everything. The compressor is an oil less. Would an oil less be worth messing with?

I had one for quite a few years. they are NOISY as **** and slow to fill tank.

Yeep

i had one for quite a few years. They are noisy as **** and slow to fill tank.
we had two in the basement at one of my lube shops . Couldnt hear yourself think from accross the street . They should give out ear covers when you buy one . But sounds to cheap to be real so if your deaf already got for it ..

33 gallon craftsman

I have had one for about 8 years. I ran it daily in my old shop for about 3 years, got a little hot porting heads and will not keep up running a da sander full boogie. I still use it in my garage. Double up some carpet underneath and on the walls behind it, that helps as little. They are louder than anything you can imagine tho, hearing protection is needed or your ears will be humming for hours! Mine has been tuff as hell tho. If you can swing it get a 60 gallon oil lube compressor, or a 30 gallon oil lube if you do not have 220 for the 60 gallon.

Hmmm do they make any portables that are NOT oil less? I think about all the ones I've seen are oil less except for the stationary models.

I got mine at Sears but doesn't look like they carry any anymore. Found this

Campbell Hausfeld VT6271 26-Gallon Oil-Lubricated Horizontal Air Compressor
$639.99
$599.99

oil less

they make a 30 gallon with an oil lube that is on wheels. it might be 26 gallons maybe I forget. there are two styles of oil less the old ones like the one I have have more scfm the newer ones are quieter but a little less scfm.

If you want it just for wrenchin then yeah it would be a good deal if not used too much. IF you plan on doing a lot of grinding or any sanding and painting don't waste your time. Mine has had it's ass handed to it for about 4 yrs and still works. Yeah, louder than hell and slow to fill the tank are the real downfalls.

Sounds like mine, including the tools... works fine for hobbyist. If your a professional or have 600 to blow, go get an oiled one.

I've got one of those, but not upright.....been working fine since 1998....never a problem with it, except it's loud as hell........it's kept my impact, ratchet, air hammer, cut off wheel working for years.....I've lost count on how many exhaust systems I have cut off with it, and all the catalytic converters I've replaced, plus hundreds of rusted bolts with the impact wrench....it's been invaluable to me........I'd buy it....real good price....and since it's on wheels, I've been able to wheel it out of my shop up to my carport for work on my cars there that break down, plus keep air in the tires of my '66 Vette.......even into the house to clean out my water softner assembly and for work on the oil furnace.......very portable. I'd die without it, it's been a great addition for me. It's not too good for air sander, you'll run out of air too quick.....these type of compressors keep about 6.5cfpm at 90psi.

Perfect for the backyard mechanic.....if you don't mind loud...get it. If mine's been going for 13 years it's got to be good.....Craftsman are pretty good compressors for the do it yourselfer. Remember to match your tools to the CFM rating of that compressor.......

Bruce '87 Grand National

One nice thing about the craftsmen compressors is that you can get parts for them on line. My son beat the hell out of mine doing custom body work on his bagged S10 extreme , it ran constantly all winter & spring plus I leave it on all the time for the past 11 years . I rebuilt it for less than $40 and it was an easy job ! It's a 4hp 25gal. oil less, horizontal, YES IT'S LOUD !!!!

I have a 5 or 6 hp upright on wheels 30 gallon sears compressor oil less and it is probably 10 years old. I have probably taken 200 cars totally apart with it . It is super reliable and never given me a problem. It is loud but i dont care ! My brother has a similar one from lowes or homedepot and it is much quiter probably due to his being much newer. I use a impact gun on mine mostltly. I also use a air ratchet and sometimes a air hammer. Yes i agree i would not paint or probably use a die grinder on it for long periods because it does take a little bit to fill up.

If mine broke today i would buy another one but i would probably search craigslist and just buy a used one since they are so reliable.

Jeez, James, you've really given that compressor the test!! That's what I like to hear....so the Craftsman compressors ARE good as I've learned throughout the years, but never have taken 200 cars apart with it!!!My God!! That's really giving it a workout....

The loudness doesn't bother me at all....I just turn my hearing aids off:D:D

Glad I have one, too.

Bruce '87 Grand National