You can type here any text you want

Oil Light On And Ticking Badly From Right Side

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Sounds like a plan to me bud, thank you for all the help guys. I'll post up an update once I get into her. Thanks for wishing me luck, I will need it haha :)

Likely don't need to hook up a oil pressure gauge. Once the pump is pushing oil the effort to spin it goes way up. Can't miss it.

Clockwise rotation to run the pump.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Tell the HOA to pound pavement, when they make the house payment they can tell you what to do. Until then I give them commies a nice big bird.

Sorry I just hate those HOA's. Act as if their better than everyone else and want you to be just like them. Well I am my own person and I will do what ever I want.

I also moved to a more quiet area. This desert really looks good ay night

cant you unplug the injector harness and just crank the motor? we did something like this when changing my oil pump but i was in the driver seat so couldnt see what he disconnected o_O

Keep it simple.............Cut the filter first. No point in going thru all the prime sequence, if the filter has metal in it...

cant you unplug the injector harness and just crank the motor? we did something like this when changing my oil pump but i was in the driver seat so couldnt see what he disconnected o_O
Dude, it's a carb turbo, not SFI.:confused:

yea i wish i could tell the hoa to stick it but then they'll boot me :/ but i will never live in an hoa neighborhood again, that is for sure!

now the oil filter that is on the car now is brand new and only ran with the car for the 15-20 mins if that... i'll remove it tomorrow and open er up. how much metal is too much? if there is metal in there, than that's it, that's all she wrote?

If you never got any oil pressure then there shouldn't be anything in it. If you had oil pressure and then lost it then you hopefully will see minimal metal and you'll need a magnifyer to see it. If it's really easy to see take the engine down.:(

If you pull your filter,pour it into the drain pan, If it looks like "copper paint"then damage has been done.

i'm probably over estimating the time i had it running... i started it up, it ran, started to tick and it got louder so i shut it down. i thought maybe it was sticky lifters since it sat for like 2-3 months, so i started it up again and the tick was the whole right side and loud so i shut it down after less than 5 mins. i didn't time it, i'm a horrible judge of time and i was doing other things so i think maybe at the max it ran for a total of 15-20 mins :(

Things are looking up I guess... The oil looked like the new rotella i put in mixed with some old dino. no metal particles in the filter that i could see, except from the hacksaw i used to open up the oil filter heh. Next stop I guess oil pump rebuild and prime... wish me luck haha

2012-08-18_15-11-24_124.jpg2012-08-18_15-12-40_320.jpg2012-08-18_15-38-13_347.jpg2012-08-18_15-38-24_347.jpg2012-08-18_15-40-25_256.jpg

If you've got a pair of metal shears you can cut the crip off the filter and not have any metal other than what the filter captured. One other thing to remember is get a good filter, not a cheapy. Even the AC filters are crap now so try and get a WIX or NAPA gold. There's a bunch of threads on the board about oil filters and the problems that a cheap one can cause.;)

hell what a mess! got sidetracked last weekend plus working around all the emissions junk on this 83 was a pain in the ass... but! thanks to a tip on another post i put a gear oil nipple on a quart of synth, shot it in the bypass trap door till it came out where the filter goes and i got my suction! after hooking up the oil pressure gauge(it has a slight kink in the oil pressure gauge line, but i don't think it'll hurt) i primed the motor with this cheap b&d drill, the gauge reads a little over 60 psi with drill at full speed. my old mopars have more obviously... but is that good for this 83 3.8?

i'm not trying to half ass anything just got to make due with my situation, i've got 4 cars(2 in illinois and 2 here in az) i need to get rid of my nissan and drive the t-type on the regular. then when i get the hell outta this hoa bull i'm going to remove all the smog garbage(i realize there isn't much hp gain but it looks like hell, all the tubes and crap are in the way... always) and start doing the work that this beautiful t deserves :) just don't want you cats thinking i'm some punk thats doing the minimum to beat on the car, cuz that's not it at all. truth is i've done over 50hrs of work on her, cleaning, repairs, painting, sanding, etc. and i only drove her once, totaling like half a city block, when i first bought her haha. alright enough pissing n moaning from me. any thoughts on the psi?

have you cut the new filter apart to look for metal? Do that first and if you don't see any then fire it up and see what it sounds like.

Back