You can type here any text you want

opinions on build..

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TurboDetroit

Bought my GN roller with intentions of an LS power plant, However after seeing some TB's on woodward now i want to go with a turbo 6 (mind set). Im not johnny racer by any means, but i do have low-mid 10 sec street car goals. now my question is... would i be better off...

(option 1) buying a long block from someone on here and getting machine work and forged pistons, upgrade turbo ect or...

(option 2) i have a chance to buy a 87' lc2 with 11,000 ALL ORIGINAL miles on it, including stock turbo minus injectors/wires for $3500. Engine has been sitting in a garage since 1989..

kind of at a cross roads with this...want to have the car out on woodward next year which route will be cheaper? and will 5-6,000 get me to 10 secs through either option? (all other variables aside...)

$6000 is a tight budget when you have a roller. I would be thinking around $10,000 starting at ground zero. Low 10 second street car isn't cheap. You will need a supporting fuel system and supporting supension also.

$6000 is a tight budget when you have a roller. I would be thinking around $10,000 starting at ground zero. Low 10 second street car isn't cheap. You will need a supporting fuel system and supporting supension also.

Yea..

$6,000 is the cost of an average engine build...

You might be able to get there if you gutted the whole thing, did all your own fab work, ran it on E85 or C16, were one helluva tuner, and didn't expect the motor to last...

New machined motor with forged pistons, roller cam and assembly will cost you 3-4k. Depending on what heads you use. Up to 1600 without being worked. Turbo around the 1k mark. That alone will put you at budget. Still need proper fueling, injectors, pump, chip/ecm. Intercooler 500-1500. Proper engine monitoring stuff etc. It never ends....

Going 10's isn't easy. Just the long block built to go that fast will kill your budget. I know that's not what you want to hear. I didn't either. Like already said. It never ends. I thought I was done buying years ago.:confused:

Yea, if going 10's was cheap, we'd all be there..
But it is cheap to go 10's, but you'll only do it once before destroying the engine.:D NOS!:eek:

Option 3 is actually a fairly inexpensive option for you. Do a search for Series 2 in a grand national in the general section and it may give you some ideas. The guy that did the conversion used an engine and tranny out of a 4th gen camaro and I believe a 66mm turbo. First rattle out of the box he ran 10's with out any major tuning.;)

well you guys are def. given me help. You can tell I'm new to the lc2, plus I'm still feel in my way around the website but I've got a ton of help so far.... guess ill drop my expectations on ET's at first and work my way into them, i just want the car on the road now!!

I just want the car on the road now!!
I will warn you that it may not happen as fast as you'd like it to. I've had my 83T since mid 07 and it was supposed te be a simple rust repair, engine and tranny, and body bushings as well as suspension work. Since then it's balloned just a little with a rotten frame, rear disc upgrade, boxing and re-enforcing the frame, and a bunch of little details I didn't expect.:oops: So far the most I've been able to drive my car is on and off the trailer just after I bought it.:eek: One of the big issues I've got is I'm a bit of a perfectionist so if it doesn't look or work right I want to fix it.;)

well good thing is, my car was just on the track not long ago. New tubular suspension, bags...rear disc already converted. I am gonna need some sort of management system and wiring harness, still trying to figure out wether or not i want to go aftermarket...

well good thing is, my car was just on the track not long ago. New tubular suspension, bags...rear disc already converted. I am gonna need some sort of management system and wiring harness, still trying to figure out wether or not i want to go aftermarket...

For an ECM consider our EBL SFI-6 Flash system. Based on a GM ECM used in the late 80's - early 90's Buicks. Has Flash memory on board for the calibration data, high speed data logging, USB interface, a good user interface, and uses GM sensors.

dsc00550.jpg

RemoveBeforeFlight

Back