Opinions on the 80mm S400 Borg Warner

Alky V6

Let's go racing, boyz!
Are there any constructive criticizms or opinions out there on the BW S400 80mm variant on our cars? I'm looking hard at maybe trying one.

I sure would like to see the results of that! I am interested in the BW turbos too.

I have spoken to on of the major BW distributors about coming into the Buick Market. He has has two of three of the cars and loves them.
The only issues is he would have to cast his own 3 bolt turbine housing.
To get this process started he would need about $10,000K.
He was not sure that he could get a return on investment with how
many cars were still out there. I considered trying to come up with the money for this for the rights to be the exclusive dealer, but we are trying to by another house soon and I could not justify the gamble.

I have spoken to on of the major BW distributors about coming into the Buick Market. He has has two of three of the cars and loves them.
The only issues is he would have to cast his own 3 bolt turbine housing.
To get this process started he would need about $10,000K.
He was not sure that he could get a return on investment with how
many cars were still out there. I considered trying to come up with the money for this for the rights to be the exclusive dealer, but we are trying to by another house soon and I could not justify the gamble.

How big are you wanting to go on the 3 bolt housings? :biggrin:

Right now we can only fit up to certain sizes in the 3 bolt housings ~70mm ETT wheel. The rest of the units we can do in T4's if you wish, buyt they are the larger frame stuff. We are working on ETT hybrids...John give us a call.

Are there any constructive criticizms or opinions out there on the BW S400 80mm variant on our cars? I'm looking hard at maybe trying one.

Standard off the shelf units with a 80mm wheel machined with no internal work will spool like poo on a V6 unless its big cubes.

How big are you wanting to go on the 3 bolt housings? :biggrin:

Right now we can only fit up to certain sizes in the 3 bolt housings ~70mm ETT wheel. The rest of the units we can do in T4's if you wish, buyt they are the larger frame stuff. We are working on ETT hybrids...John give us a call.

Jose,

To be honest with you I think that if you could come up with a 62 and 66 ETT Compressor Wheel with a 3 bolt turbine housing and something in the range of a P trim Turbine Wheel I think you could sell some. Right now the flavors of the week are the 61/52or 31 and the 67/76 in the Garrett World.

I was considering a 61 or 67 for my junk but would be interested in
hearing what you could do.

I just spoke to Jose and he said he could put something together for
us for ~$1000 and going to 1700 for a full custom unit.
The wheels that could be built out first are the 57,
62, 66 and 70.

57MM Flows 62lbs x 10.86 = ~673HP Theoretical MAX Potential ~ 620HP Conservative

62MM Flows 73lbs x 10.86 = ~792HP Theoretical MAX Potential ~ 730HP Conservative

66MM Flows 80lbs x 10.86 = ~868HP Theoretical MAX Potential ~ 800HP Conservative

70MM Flows 92lbs x 10.86 = ~999HP Theoretical MAX Potential ~ 920HP Conservative

It is always interesting to have other options...

Yes we have a new series of units coming out. I will let you know John this upcoming week when the website is updated and ready.

I just spoke to Jose and he said he could put something together for
us for ~$1000 and going to 1700 for a full custom unit.
The wheels that could be built out first are the 57,
62, 66 and 70.

57MM Flows 62lbs x 10.86 = ~673HP Theoretical MAX Potential ~ 620HP Conservative

62MM Flows 73lbs x 10.86 = ~792HP Theoretical MAX Potential ~ 730HP Conservative

66MM Flows 80lbs x 10.86 = ~868HP Theoretical MAX Potential ~ 800HP Conservative

70MM Flows 92lbs x 10.86 = ~999HP Theoretical MAX Potential ~ 920HP Conservative

It is always interesting to have other options...

What's up Jose?

John, Otto had what I think was an 80mm BW on his car at the nats when we tested the converter. It was a T4 version from someone in Florida I believe. I know it went 151 on one clean pass at 30+ boost. Spoolup with the new PTC was very good. Otto may comment on the specs of the turbo. I'm not sure which a/r he was using.

Dang, we have AL all up in this piece! =)

I was just telling Jose that a 66BB would be interesting
to test with one of your converters...
I have always wanted to check out an ETT Wheel.

What's up Jose?

John, Otto had what I think was an 80mm BW on his car at the nats when we tested the converter. It was a T4 version from someone in Florida I believe. I know it went 151 on one clean pass at 30+ boost. Spoolup with the new PTC was very good. Otto may comment on the specs of the turbo. I'm not sure which a/r he was using.

Hey man...whats up. Got the beast up and running again?

As for Otto's, yes its a 80mm unit with standard cover though which gives up a good bit of power. Also the exhaust housing used on that unit was the turbine housing from a MP GT45 that was machined for the large turbine wheel. Only problem with that was the turbine wheel extends to far out into the caudal space on that turbine housing. So it interrupts flow. The T6 housing is really the only one to use with the big turbine wheel. The GN's though like our newer style turbine wheel which flows huge air and outspools the larger turbine by a good margin.

Dang, we have AL all up in this piece! =)

I was just telling Jose that a 66BB would be interesting
to test with one of your converters...
I have always wanted to check out an ETT Wheel.

Check back with me soon. We will have these units ready for the GN crowd very soon.

Hey man...whats up. Got the beast up and running again?

As for Otto's, yes its a 80mm unit with standard cover though which gives up a good bit of power. Also the exhaust housing used on that unit was the turbine housing from a MP GT45 that was machined for the large turbine wheel. Only problem with that was the turbine wheel extends to far out into the caudal space on that turbine housing. So it interrupts flow. The T6 housing is really the only one to use with the big turbine wheel. The GN's though like our newer style turbine wheel which flows huge air and outspools the larger turbine by a good margin.

Cam should be here today, just got to get it back together to do some testing before ORSCA Huntsville.

I need to swing by the shop. I heard you guys were working on some Buick stuff.

Cam should be here today, just got to get it back together to do some testing before ORSCA Huntsville.

I need to swing by the shop. I heard you guys were working on some Buick stuff.

When is ORSCA in HSV? I thought I heard it wasn't going to happen??

Let me know if you need anything.

As for GN stuff.....I have Monk's turbo here, waiting on the dang compressor wheel which has been a PITA to get but should be here tomm I believe. I am also working on getting getting the units in so we can get the Borg Warner GN turbos done.

When is ORSCA in HSV? I thought I heard it wasn't going to happen??

Let me know if you need anything.

As for GN stuff.....I have Monk's turbo here, waiting on the dang compressor wheel which has been a PITA to get but should be here tomm I believe. I am also working on getting getting the units in so we can get the Borg Warner GN turbos done.

Sept 21-23. The 100k outlaw race was canceled and the 7.0, 6.0 and 5.30 index series was moved to Montgomery. Some of the racers in the heads up series would not put mufflers on the car so I guess he moved it due to the ordinance.

The plan is to use my existing 4 bolt flange (T4). Target HP is 1050 to 1075. I remember when Otto was getting that turbo. Sounds like it worked pretty fair (150 mph). That is around the target I'm shooting for. Spool up is not a concern. I'm using port nitrous injection to spool.

Jose,

Thanks for your time today.
Can you machine the t6 turbine to work on t4 flange?
I heard this was possible with some of the Airwerks housings.