You can type here any text you want

Port matching stock heads & intake

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

buickGN3:16

i was wondering is it worth the extra $ it will cost to have the heads & intake port matched even tho its all stock?? Except new comp 980 springs being installed. Will this even help increase power any?

Well that sucks. what will the 980 springs feel like as opposed to stock 120,000 mile springs?

Dude really? You can port match your self for free. Install the springs at 1.7" or what ever bison recommend if different. The will take the slop out of your valve train, and increase revs. You will feel slightly more power, but slight. Top of the revs and gear changes will have less valve float, there for increasing your power band by about 200 and will feel smoother acceleration

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

i dont ever have the time for that stuff thats why im thinking about just letting my engine guy port em out & besides his prices arent bad either, no experience with this kinda stuff anyway. first time ive been in the motor since ive had this car, 5 years now

Just saying. And a decent port match only takes me an hour or so on a V8. And thats being really careful

It is free to port match if you have the tools.... BUT, buying a set of head gaskets, valley pan gaskets, valve cover gaskets, and head bolts just to do all that work for nothing has a horrible horrible ROI. That same money could be spent of bolt ons (or necessary preventative maintenance items)

These cars can run 11's all day long without every pulling the heads or cam. There's not reason to open a can of worms without getting a bunch of HP outof the effort.

i hear u earl, yep a head gasket caused this whole ordeal anyway, i am seeking hi 11's but my funds wont prepared for all this work, haha, who ever is right?? Do u think the port job is worth it?

It is free to port match if you have the tools.... BUT, buying a set of head gaskets, valley pan gaskets, valve cover gaskets, and head bolts just to do all that work for nothing has a horrible horrible ROI. That same money could be spent of bolt ons (or necessary preventative maintenance items)

These cars can run 11's all day long without every pulling the heads or cam. There's not reason to open a can of worms without getting a bunch of HP outof the effort.
Could always use the old gasket over the blue die before you scribe

the heads and intake ports on my 86 are untouched and running a felpro 96033 intake pan gasket
match them if you want but you wont gain a thing if you dont line them up on assembly
just look into the intake and line the intake and head up (patricularly the runner between #3 and #5 ) before you bolt it tight

and high 11s... the stock heads untouched arent a restriction until you try to break into 10s

i hear u earl, yep a head gasket caused this whole ordeal anyway, i am seeking hi 11's but my funds wont prepared for all this work, haha, who ever is right?? Do u think the port job is worth it?

Match porting is a waste of time. Now bowl porting on the other hand....... That's worth it if the heads are already off. That's just free power. It's amazing just how much metal is hanging out in the way of the valve for no reason.

Yeah im getting that done as well, what about porting under the intake flange that the throttle body bolts to?

on intake
mill out egr tower
if you dont need to smog have egr passage filled

hi 11's is all im after, i've been a 12.35 as a best so far @ 111.3mph so wanting to do a few tricks to help reach my goal since motor is out & the heads are off! Motor is completely stock except double roller chain, 342 gears, 9" art carr 3000 stall, tranny shift kit, 42.5lb armstrong injectors w/ a 255 tre fuel pump, hot shot kit, caspers volt booster, te-44 turbo, 3" gn1 down pipe w/ 46mm gate, 3"maf w/ translator, ic is stock but front mounted, tt chips for street & race, right side air bag, nitto 275/50 drag radials, alum drive shaft, 3" single shot exhaust.. should be runnin 11's already huh?? no known knock on the caspers gauge. Scanmaster

Earl's right here. If you've got the heads off the bowl area is 90% of the work on a pair of heads. Here's a pic of a stock head and one of my bowl ported heads. This removes a tremendous amount of restrictions that the stock heads have and will do much more then the throat area.;) If you've got the heads off now is the time to get the bowls cleaned up and then your goal will be much easier.:cool: The bottom head wasn't finished when this pic was taken but it should give you an idea of how much can be done to help improve the flow of a stock head.:D
DSCF1045.JPG

If you have the cheese to do it while the heads are off. Manually clean up any oddball bumps or flash you find in the ports, polish the exhaust port, lightly polish the combustion chamber (don't do berzerk and remove metal just smooth out what is easily smoothed) and narrow the pedestals in case you ever get roller rockers. Then take them to the machine shop and have the bowls hogged, 3angle valve job, lower the guides to clear a bigger cam in case you ever get one, and surface the deck flat. If you still have money get some Ferrea valves and cut the exhaust guide for seals.

If you're just itching to match port something, set the heads back on the block and the lower intake manifold (with the gasket you're going to reassemble with) and see if any of the intake ports overhang the head's ports. For some reason the intake has a lip on ever port right at the flange. It's easy to clean off by hand if it's a choke point.

hi 11's is all im after, i've been a 12.35 as a best so far @ 111.3mph so wanting to do a few tricks to help reach my goal since motor is out & the heads are off! Motor is completely stock except double roller chain, 342 gears, 9" art carr 3000 stall, tranny shift kit, 42.5lb armstrong injectors w/ a 255 tre fuel pump, hot shot kit, caspers volt booster, te-44 turbo, 3" gn1 down pipe w/ 46mm gate, 3"maf w/ translator, ic is stock but front mounted, tt chips for street & race, right side air bag, nitto 275/50 drag radials, alum drive shaft, 3" single shot exhaust.. should be runnin 11's already huh?? no known knock on the caspers gauge. Scanmaster

Yes, you already have enough to get you there. Mph is also pretty good telling me your not launching hard enough. Maybe invest into your rear brakes while your at it. S10 wheel cylinders, all 4 long pads and a line lock to keep em cool while in the water box. SS braided lines while your at it

And the boost up, thats a very capable 11 sec turbo.

Yep, port the heads. Put a thinner head gasket on it to raise the compression a little. This will also leave the door open for turbo upgrades in the future. The bump in compression will also help if you ever install a bigger camshaft. Why? Because the faster it goes the faster you wanna go. Save for your new transmission. I think felpro makes an intake gasket that blocks the egr ports on the heads. Cant remember the part number.

Yep, port the heads. Put a thinner head gasket on it to raise the compression a little. This will also leave the door open for turbo upgrades in the future. The bump in compression will also help if you ever install a bigger camshaft. Why? Because the faster it goes the faster you wanna go. Save for your new transmission. I think felpro makes an intake gasket that blocks the egr ports on the heads. Cant remember the part number.
+1

Back