Possible tps issue?

I had the same problem as you a few years back, I was using a stock remanufactured maf, and it turned out to be junk,, the car never seemed to run right. I swapped it out with a 3" LT1 maf/translater and the car never ran better.

I get paid tomorrow and will be ordering maf and translator. What should I be looking for in a new maf?

Also for shits and grins I tested the autozone maf under load and the maf reading never went over 98 on the scanmaster. Seems pretty low, does this pretty much confirm the maf is the issue?

There's nothing wrong with leaving the car completely stock except for one thing. The MAF sensor. Toss it as far into the woods as you can. Leaving everything else alone and the car will be pretty reliable.
Make sure you use ZDDP when you change the oil. Eventually the fuel pump will die.

I personally haven’t modified the car, however it seems a previous owner, or the shop I bought the car from had installed adj fuel press reg, and fuel pump hardwire kit. Combine this with comments made by other gun owners at car shows and I believe I have upgraded injectors, can’t tell you what kind. Also the car when running right can hold 17-18# at wot so probably chipped as well? Car has chrome breathers and aftermarket boost, water temp and oil pressure gauges (it’s a digi dash) other than that is stock as far as I can tell.
I’ve driven it for 9 years and 30k miles and all I had to “fix” in this time was a bad IAC. This car must have been very well maintained because from my experience the TR has been one of the most bullet proof reliable cars I’ve owned and several times I had to take it to work because my modern truck had broken down again.

Thanks for the zddp reminder, I was completely unaware of this stuff until I started reading here. Found some Lucas zddp additive at autozone yesterday and dumped a bottle in. I’ve always run amsoil in the car when I can find it, failing that I use Mobil 1. Hopefully no harm was done.

All this maintenance I’ve been doing to the car lately has improved things quite a bit, I’ve never seen the car idle so smooth. Once I get the power loss issue solved I just know this car is gonna fly and I can’t wait. Ordering a maf from highwaystars now. Due to their proximity I should have it by the end of the week, I’ll post the results here.

Thanks guys

I get paid tomorrow and will be ordering maf and translator. What should I be looking for in a new maf?
Order from TurboTweak and you won't have to think or worry about anything.

Now will this maf fit my stock intake? I was thinking i could stick a cone on the end for the time being until find the right all metal tube intake kit. If i do this though, where do I put the intake temp sensor?

Now will this maf fit my stock intake? I was thinking i could stick a cone on the end for the time being until find the right all metal tube intake kit. If i do this though, where do I put the intake temp sensor?

It will fit but the LT1 MAF is considerably shorter in length. Remove the stock air box and install the biggest cone filter that will fit. Drill a hole in the rubber boot of the filter and install the temp sensor .

Sounds easy enough. Thanks.

Another question, after googling the part number I have discovered that the car has 30lb injectors. A couple weeks ago i replaced the fuel pump with a stock unit because the old one was making a terrible whining noise and i figured its doom was near. Do I NEED a better pump to go with these injectors? Can it hurt the car to run this pump while I am working on the other issues?

Sounds easy enough. Thanks.

Another question, after googling the part number I have discovered that the car has 30lb injectors. A couple weeks ago i replaced the fuel pump with a stock unit because the old one was making a terrible whining noise and i figured its doom was near. Do I NEED a better pump to go with these injectors? Can it hurt the car to run this pump while I am working on the other issues?

Those injectors are basically stock replacements. Not sure what replacement pump your using, but a Hotwire kit for the fuel pump should be mandatory. Turn your boost down and watch the scanmaster for KR. The goal is zero KR. Observe the BLM numbers while driving 128 +|-10.
Nothing wrong with driving what you have. Looks like a nice car, enjoy it.

I did not know that. Reason I ask is, the old pump was quite a bit larger than what I replaced it with (Delco) and had a wiring adapter. Just wanted to make sure I had enough in the rails to run em. Is there a way to tell if the pump Hotwire kit is already on this car? I have a feeling it is.

I also had a peek into the ecm for the first time today and the Chip I have in there now has a orange label with R93 printed on it. Also there is some weird module wired in there, the only marking is the word “Xtreme” I can find no information on it.

Picture included, what is this thing?

Attachments

• 8B6C5181-BF55-4158-8EE8-702E9349345A.jpeg
    8B6C5181-BF55-4158-8EE8-702E9349345A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
The pump I took off the car appears to be a walbro with all the branding marks ground off. Is it normal for these to make a lot of noise? Should I put back in the car?

Attachments

• DA0A70DD-9A20-4153-835A-6F619BB8922C.jpeg
    DA0A70DD-9A20-4153-835A-6F619BB8922C.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
Hotwire kits will be directly wired off the alternator post usually have an in-line fuse and a relay mounted somewhere. I believe that’s a Red 93 chip (old school). Chip technology has evolved tremendously since then. As Jerry mentioned a conversation with Turbo Tweak could really be helpful with upgrades and budgets.
Yes, fuel pumps can be noisy. That pump might be one of Reds modified pumps. I would not re-install it as you don’t know how old it is. Upgrade your existing pump if you have issues or when you move to larger injectors.
Not familiar with that module that’s wired off the ECM.

Ok TT chip sounds easy enough. That old pump seemed to work ok, but the the noise was crazy. Loud BRRRRR tone that could be easily heard over the engine and exhaust noise at idle.

I’m starting to get excited here, I’ve never made any real mods to a car before, feel like I’m bout to go down the rabbit hole here. Like I’m about to become obsessed with a hobby I can ill afford. Hahaha

Here you go. You're now hooked on black crack.

I keep a spare fuel pump in the car just in case. It's the only thing that left me stranded. 5 years ago I was in Canada when the pump died. I had the car towed to the shop. Said they couldn't find a fuel Pump. I knew where to get them so I ordered one and had it shipped. It was held up in customs for 2 days.

Cool I’ll leave it in the trunk then. I have also confirmed previous owner hot wired the fuel pump so I don’t have to worry about that.

WOW! That maf translator, holy shit.

Attachments

• 1A508A2C-533B-41E1-A8B9-C06EB02DA9C1.jpeg
    1A508A2C-533B-41E1-A8B9-C06EB02DA9C1.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 38
After the maf install the car is driving much better, however now acceleration is pretty tepid until boost hits about 14# then it drops the hammer and gives me all the power in one big blob. How do I transfer more to the low end?

After the maf install the car is driving much better, however now acceleration is pretty tepid until boost hits about 14# then it drops the hammer and gives me all the power in one big blob. How do I transfer more to the low end?

Post all the Scanmaster numbers at warm idle since you changed to the new MAF. That old chip your running is probably not ideal.

Af 03
L8 26
Bat 13.3
Int 133
Bl 160
TPS .44
Iac 12

Did one WOT run, 7 degrees of retard before I backed off