You can type here any text you want

Problem with Gen6 DFI MAP sensor input

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Brooks

I have a GEN 6 DFI system that is reporting a constant "-11.6" in the MAP field of the Calmap 6.32 View screen. This is regardless of load placed on the motor.

I've tried three different MAP sensors, two 3-bar sensors and a 2-bar sensor. I've traced the wiring all the way back to the ECU several times and had a second party verify it in case I was making the same mistakes over and over again, everything checks out.

Has anybody known of a MAP input to die on the Gen 6 boxes?

Charles Brooks

Originally posted by Brooks
I have a GEN 6 DFI system that is reporting a constant "-11.6" in the MAP field of the Calmap 6.32 View screen. This is regardless of load placed on the motor.
I've tried three different MAP sensors, two 3-bar sensors and a 2-bar sensor. I've traced the wiring all the way back to the ECU several times and had a second party verify it in case I was making the same mistakes over and over again, everything checks out.
Has anybody known of a MAP input to die on the Gen 6 boxes?

Just for grins, make sure you have 5v, and ground at the sensor. And that you have some sort of reasonable output from the sensor, ie 2.5v with the 2 bar.

My adapter had a bad trace that gave that symtom.

Hi Bruce, thanks for the suggestion. It was indeed the 5 volts to the sensor. I kept getting ahead of myself and not checking the basics.

I rang it out once more while the harness was installed in the car (as opposed to removing it for easy access) and found an open connection in one of the TPS connectors.

The harness route when it's installed stressed the connection and one pin became an open circuit. When the harness is sitting on the bench it reads fine.

Charles Brooks

Hi Bruce, thanks for the suggestion. It was indeed the 5 volts to the sensor. I kept getting ahead of myself and not checking the basics.

Well shame on you........
Not that I ever do that, LOL.
So how's it running with the Gen6?.

Heya Bruce, yeah yeah I know. :)

I got it started and idling fine in about two hours then had to pack it away and swap back to the factory ECM due to lack of time to tinker.

I'm hoping to get back to it this weekend but I might be backsliding and operating on Kemper time ;)

I saw you have one of your own to play with on the bench, how's that coming along? Having fun with it?

Charles Brooks

I'm hoping to get back to it this weekend but I might be backsliding and operating on Kemper time ;)

I saw you have one of your own to play with on the bench, how's that coming along? Having fun with it?

LOL.

I have had them running on the bench, but, have had an engine swap that's been keeping me busy. Actually, it's more like reconfiguring the whole car. This whole year has been nothing but work, with the finale, of the mule engine dieing. I did try to start the car with the VI today, but it's going to take some work.

It does sound like your plate is full. :)

I decided to double check the adapte harness this morning just for grins and I'm glad I did. I found two pins that were not making a connection, both timing related. Shoot, one wire didn't even have pin on it! It was just crammed in the connector. The other had a bad retainer and had worked it's way out of the connector.

Looks like another delay while I track down pins for the ECM connector and pin crimpers. Time to call Caspers.

Charles Brooks

Time to call Caspers.

I've been using the Casper header board for my 749 stuff, and haven't had a problem one. I have 2 Gen VI's, actually, and both of their adapter boards, have had problems. Both times I've gone to inspect the traces they came loose, or were already loose. But, when buying old stuff problems are to be expected.

BTW, For the DFI connector, Test Probe Lead Wire is nice, since it is sooo much more flexible.

Back