You can type here any text you want

RJC Head Gasket Kit opinions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

buickboy

Looking for experienced opinions on installation and reliability of Jason's Head Gasket kit. Always ran Cometics and am considering Jason's kit while the heads are off.

Mitch

Good gaskets but that "special" GE silicone is junk it is nothing more than window glazing, the container says not to be used for applications where submersion under water. Isn't a block filled with water?
I would use the gaskets but coat the with the "Right stuff" instead next time.
Just my humble opinion.

i run them, and i use it as directed.. my heads are oringed also.. and no problems so far..

i run them, and i use it as directed.. my heads are oringed also.. and no problems so far..

I think he ment under high boost since he said he already tried cometics ...

when you used cometics did u make sure the block was decked ? what problems did u have

I have used rjc gaskets for 21# boost and no problem. The only thing I don't like is you have to retorque the head bolts and that means removing headers which sux.

they do work great.. Just sucks when ya have to take it apart to replace a piston that gave way instead of the gasket :biggrin: what a mess with all the silicone :eek:

Looking for experienced opinions on installation and reliability of Jason's Head Gasket kit.

Jason's gaskets are pretty tried and true, using his install techniques and the silicone he supplies.

Good gaskets but that "special" GE silicone is junk it is nothing more than window glazing, the container says not to be used for applications where submersion under water. Isn't a block filled with water?
I would use the gaskets but coat the with the "Right stuff" instead next time.
Just my humble opinion.

The block is filled with water, but unless you lift a head the gasket should not come in contact with the flat surfaces coated in the silicone.

when you used cometics did u make sure the block was decked ? what problems did u have

This is important as no gasket will hold if the surface is warped, uneven, etc. Even cleaning them with a scotchbrite pad in a die grinder can screw up the deck surface enough to make you blow an HG.

they do work great.. Just sucks when ya have to take it apart to replace a piston that gave way instead of the gasket :biggrin: what a mess with all the silicone :eek:

Good point Grumpy makes. The HG is oftentimes used as a "fuse" as not to blow up or melt or bend pistons, rods, cranks, etc. I would take an extra look at the sealing surfaces of the heads and block before doing anything.

I have used rjc gaskets for 21# boost and no problem. The only thing I don't like is you have to retorque the head bolts and that means removing headers which sux.

Get 2 heat guns for $40 total or less on sale. Then on the stand after heads are on just heat them up thru a few heat cycles & no headers involved.

Get 2 heat guns for $40 total or less on sale. Then on the stand after heads are on just heat them up thru a few heat cycles & no headers involved.

Harbor Freight Tools, usually on sale for $7 or so. :biggrin:

Have you done this? Have heard about it but never done it. How hot do you try to get the engine, and is a high enough temp possible with the heat guns? I would guess you would want the motor to get to ~160 (normal op temp), right?

33psi 110 octane minimum and 30gph alky injection. Car went 133+@ 28psi. Over 5 minutes of WOT at over 600whp. If anyone has a problem blowing these they have much bigger problems. Trying to duplicate the heat cycles of the engine with heat guns is not effective imo. The engine needs to be put under pressure and cooled over night before re-torque.

33psi 110 octane minimum and 30gph alky injection. Car went 133+@ 28psi. Over 5 minutes of WOT at over 600whp. If anyone has a problem blowing these they have much bigger problems. Trying to duplicate the heat cycles of the engine with heat guns is not effective imo. The engine needs to be put under pressure and cooled over night before re-torque.

Do you know the gasket thickness of the ones you used vs. what he sells now? How much compression was that engine? When do you feel you have too much static compression to run 93 and Alky.

we have NEVER re-torqued the Cometics . Maybe thats why they work for us :p

Harbor Freight Tools, usually on sale for $7 or so. :biggrin:

Have you done this? Have heard about it but never done it. How hot do you try to get the engine, and is a high enough temp possible with the heat guns? I would guess you would want the motor to get to ~160 (normal op temp), right?

Did it this year & first time with RJC gaskets. Always used Victors but these seem to hold altho 26 lbs is the max I have tried. Also, I only did 4 track passes all year.
SHAME on ME!!
I used to do that every Sat & Sun for 2 years straight. Never blew a Victor until I got stupid with timing. It's ALL in the TUNING!! At least in the 11's it is! ;)

PS: They were too hot to touch with 3 cycles on the stand. I heard Nick M say he Never redid them after final torque was done. (Think it was him??)

Oh no. Ive used it

So have I:rolleyes: It's snake oil. Much better sealing products are out there. I know it supposed to be a big secret and he scratches the number off. But I looked it up under GE sealants MSDS and it is by no means in anyway designed to do, what we are asking it to do. Especially if you use the car regularly not just a track queen.
Like I said just my humble opinion people can use peanut butter on their gaskets I guess. Just don't use chunky. but then that's my opinion too.:biggrin:

So have I:rolleyes: It's snake oil. Much better sealing products are out there. I know it supposed to be a big secret and he scratches the number off. But I looked it up under GE sealants MSDS and it is by no means in anyway designed to do, what we are asking it to do. Especially if you use the car regularly not just a track queen.
Like I said just my humble opinion people can use peanut butter on their gaskets I guess. Just don't use chunky. but then that's my opinion too.:biggrin:

Damn, no Chunky?

Back