You can type here any text you want

RJC Head Gasket Kit opinions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
bison put thousnds of miles on those gaskets he was all over the northeast.i was there when he put them on.

no weepers BUT I do know others that did have a weeping problem. Like I said I have no ideas why others have problems.

X2 I never have a problem either. No re torque. No leaks.

I think you said it once b4 though. You and me are the only guys they work that way for.

1st set went in dry.. Then we reused them (change heads to Champions) an sprayed them with copper spray :cool: Didn't take them all apart . sorry for hi jacking the thread. RJCs work !!!

I did not have good luck with rjc. tried a few sets, would not blow,just lift and break the seal. Went to cometics, so far so good, knock on wood!

Unobtr, you have O-ringed RJC gaskets, I didn't know those were available. That sounds like a winner for those over 30psi for sure.

So have I:rolleyes: It's snake oil. Much better sealing products are out there. I know it supposed to be a big secret and he scratches the number off. But I looked it up under GE sealants MSDS and it is by no means in anyway designed to do, what we are asking it to do. Especially if you use the car regularly not just a track queen.
Like I said just my humble opinion people can use peanut butter on their gaskets I guess. Just don't use chunky. but then that's my opinion too.:biggrin:

If i scratch the number off how did you look up the specs on the silicone? GE literally has thousands of different grades of silicon. When we developed this gasket kit over 10 years ago we sat down with the engineers at GE and the help of Jay Carter and went over which of the thousands of different grades and types which would be best for this very specific application. After much debate between them their conclusion is this specific grade. There is a little more to it than just reviewing the Material Data Safety Sheet (MSDS) of some random grade of GE silicone and somehow forming an expert opinion.

If the right stuff worked better we would use that and put that in the kits. it is very good at sealing components that come in contact with oil but not water. We haven't ever had a single problem with the GE silicon in 10 years. This GE silicon is non fast drying, easy to apply, easy to remove, lasts the life cycle of the gaskets and just plane works better than anything else. If you want to reinvent the wheel please be my guest but please don't go bashing my products when you don't know what your are talking about.

These gaskets will not make a seal that is stronger than the piston. with only 8 head bolts you will still be able to lift the head and blow compression by the gasket in extreme conditions or if mistake in the tune has been made.

Cometics work pretty good at sealing combustion. Our gaskets work every bit as good as them at sealing combustion as the cometics but ours do not have the oil and coolant leakage problems.

We recommend you use our gasket on any 3.830 8 head bolt block/head combo. if you have "R" heads where the bore on the heads is larger than 3.830 or you are using 14 bolts or if your bore is larger than 3.830 then the cometics is the best choice.

retorquing the heads has nothing to do with what type of head gaskets you are using. It is because of the thermal expansion of the head (that is why aluminum heads are more critical of the retorque) and the settling of the fasteners ect that makes it beneficial to do so. Do you have to do it? no. but with any gasket if you want the best seal you should do it.

We have sold hundreds of sets of these gaskets and done much much testing and have very very few complaints.

hope this helps and clarifies a little misinformation.

So have I:rolleyes: It's snake oil. Much better sealing products are out there. I know it supposed to be a big secret and he scratches the number off. But I looked it up under GE sealants MSDS and it is by no means in anyway designed to do, what we are asking it to do. Especially if you use the car regularly not just a track queen.
Like I said just my humble opinion people can use peanut butter on their gaskets I guess. Just don't use chunky. but then that's my opinion too.:biggrin:
All i know is the gasket will seal 9 sec power if the heads/deck are flat and the gasket is installed like the directions state. The GE silicone supplied worked when i used it. I had zero compression leaks and no fluid leaks. If others have problems lifting heads then the fasteners are yielding because of detonation. I ran GM steel head gaskets years ago. They allowed me to run about a half sec faster than everyone else that was having problems with the stock head gaskets. They worked similarly but are not as good a design as RJC's.

If i scratch the number off how did you look up the specs on the silicone? GE literally has thousands of different grades of silicon. When we developed this gasket kit over 10 years ago we sat down with the engineers at GE and the help of Jay Carter and went over which of the thousands of different grades and types which would be best for this very specific application. After much debate between them their conclusion is this specific grade. There is a little more to it than just reviewing the Material Data Safety Sheet (MSDS) of some random grade of GE silicone and somehow forming an expert opinion.

If the right stuff worked better we would use that and put that in the kits. it is very good at sealing components that come in contact with oil but not water. We haven't ever had a single problem with the GE silicon in 10 years. This GE silicon is non fast drying, easy to apply, easy to remove, lasts the life cycle of the gaskets and just plane works better than anything else. If you want to reinvent the wheel please be my guest but please don't go bashing my products when you don't know what your are talking about.

These gaskets will not make a seal that is stronger than the piston. with only 8 head bolts you will still be able to lift the head and blow compression by the gasket in extreme conditions or if mistake in the tune has been made.

Cometics work pretty good at sealing combustion. Our gaskets work every bit as good as them at sealing combustion as the cometics but ours do not have the oil and coolant leakage problems.

We recommend you use our gasket on any 3.830 8 head bolt block/head combo. if you have "R" heads where the bore on the heads is larger than 3.830 or you are using 14 bolts or if your bore is larger than 3.830 then the cometics is the best choice.

retorquing the heads has nothing to do with what type of head gaskets you are using. It is because of the thermal expansion of the head (that is why aluminum heads are more critical of the retorque) and the settling of the fasteners ect that makes it beneficial to do so. Do you have to do it? no. but with any gasket if you want the best seal you should do it.

We have sold hundreds of sets of these gaskets and done much much testing and have very very few complaints.

Thanks Jason! Your a Great Vendor for us!!
Cheers!

PS: I still think I can blow apart ANY Gasket with enuf boost & bad tune.
Only choice is Weld the heads on & drive over the crank.
Myself, I like having the gasket go first! ;)

Motor is 3.840 bore

Did i read jason's post correctly? The RJC gaskets will not work on any bore greater than 3.830?

Mitch

A lot has changed in 10 years sealant wise.

Compare:
Permatex® the Right Stuff® Gasket Maker
Return equipment to service immediately when you make leak-proof gaskets in just one minute with the Right Stuff.® This latest elastomeric rubber gasket technology is blowout resistant and outperforms pre-cut gaskets. Specified on production lines by GM, Ford, DaimlerChrysler and Mercedes-Benz. Temperature range -75°F to 450°F (-59°C to 232°C) continuous, 500°F (260°C) intermittent.; resists ATF, coolant, oil and other shop fluids. Protects against leaks caused by vibration and thermal expansion. Sensor-safe.

GE® 1200 Silicone Sealant is used to seal building joints to prevent the penetration of rain, air and noise. It effectively weatherproofs junctions of building materials and can also be used for sealing curtainwall, mullion and other building construction joints, and for glazing steel and aluminum windows, painted and plastic coated wood windows, interior glass partitions and skylights. Permanent watertight bonds are made with this sealant, in combination with glass, ceramic, steel, plastics, and painted surfaces. In addition, many maintenance applications are possible where long life, reliability and sealing properties are required.

Color: Black
Contents of Cartridge: 10.1 fl oz (300 ml)

You can use what ever you want but don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about. You say the right stuff doesn't seal against water-- it does. and look at the temp range too. Your gaskets are great! the GE sealant is NOT. I made an informed opinion and people can take it at whatever value they want but I think it is best everyone gets all the information.

I've had great luck with Cometics when the deck and head are baby butt smooth (RA 10 or smoother). I've had coolant and oil leaks with cometics when the surfaces weren't so perfect.

I've never had a RJC HG fail in any way. Even with less than ideal surface conditions.

Mike Barnard

the rjc gaskets work great.i had 2 stock pistons fail from cylinder pressure never had any problems with the gaskets.

Motor is 3.840 bore

Did i read jason's post correctly? The RJC gaskets will not work on any bore greater than 3.830?

Mitch

My engine is bores .030 over, does what does that make my engine and did you by any chance get private response to your question?

Rjc gaskets been on my car 11 yrs been 33 lbs of boost only retorqued them once when motor was new after putting motor threw a heat cycle , 48,000 miles on build still going strong . :) cosmetics are also very good on my 1100 hp Pontiac motor , all comes down to entire build and attention to detail .

Rjc gaskets been on my car 11 yrs been 33 lbs of boost only retorqued them once when motor was new after putting motor threw a heat cycle , 48,000 miles on build still going strong . :) cosmetics are also very good on my 1100 hp Pontiac motor , all comes down to entire build and attention to detail .

is your engine bored over at all and if so by how much? My engine is bored .30 over and i believe that the RJC head gaskets will not work with my car.

is your engine bored over at all and if so by how much? My engine is bored .30 over and i believe that the RJC head gaskets will not work with my car.
Yes mine had to go .30 over when I got the block been fine for 10 yrs it'll be 11 yrs this spring my engine build is a 235ci 9.0 compression with champion irons , fully forged bottom end with diamond Pistons from full throttle back then and his 210/215 roller with 70 gtq wheel , low ten second build my car is full weight at 3800 lbs . Leaves off the brake on the street at 4,000 rpm . Th400 behind it from CK performance going on 5 yrs with Trans . My car is never trailered always driven everywhere . Motor assembly is key and of course , but with these cars tuning tuning tuning is what keeps them together . This car is setup for 135 mph trap speed on c16 with new fast 2.0 from Hartline . Tunes dialed in by my buddy turbotwister on the Board ,

Last edited:
Back