Roll bar is it or is it not still a street car!!

Mine was actually built for the street. 71 gtq, t/a-s/e race ported hds, 212 roller, stg III a/e trans w/stg-rt brake, custom cage, atr hdrs, cottons frt mt,
gen-7, champion 70mm intake, h& r bar, adj. uppers & lower c/a's, girdled sg-1 stroker, etc, etc, 700+ on street tune. I have a cabinet full of upgrades that I haven't gotten around to doing-elec. boost control, bigger cam, bigger turbo, bigger d/p, etc,etc, do I really need them? NO! Haven't raced it in 3 yrs. Never been to the track. It's my street car.!?

You have wayyyyy more than we do with a 9 sec car. It is raced at the track an DRIVEN a LOT.. 8/10k a year anyway.. we have a tune in the car that stays basically the same for street and the track.. Can you use it all on the street ?? nope BUT it's there if ya want it.
...So IF your not goin to the track don't need a bar unless ya value your head :p

Cage or not....imo a street car can make a 3-4 hour trip on the highway at 70 plus, idle in the hottest slow bumper to bumper traffic, stop from panic stops at freeway speeds/ moderate high speeds back to back without brakes fading (drag race car brakes dont hold up), trans wont boil over from high stall. But street car debate is neverending tho

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

well it's a very simple answer then .. Don't try an race your STREET car if it doesn't have the proper safety equipment. That way your family can't sue the track if you get messed up from your OWN actions. :cool:

First, there has to be a track to race at and both of ours are closed.

Second, if one re-opens and I decide to run there, a bar will be a necessity and will be installed. I've already stated that.

At that point, my car will graduate to "something other" than a true street car, though I will probably take the same position you now have and defend her street car status to the bitter end.:cool:

P.S. Anybody here know a fabricator that can do a COMPLETELY stealth install? :p

I guess I can rap my self up like the goodyear dude and hope that's enough that way I will have a true street car and just roll in and out ha ha!

The fact remains (safety or not) thatany car has been fundamentally changed with a bar, any bar. If you don't get this simple fact you need to explain to me how that is NOT a change from the "Real Street" version of our cars.

NOTHING is the answer, You cannot say say it's "a Street Car" if it has a bar.

TurboTGuy, please define what a street car is?

The fact remains (safety or not) thatany car has been fundamentally changed with a bar, any bar. If you don't get this simple fact you need to explain to me how that is NOT a change from the "Real Street" version of our cars.

You can fundamentally change a car in many ways and still is a street car. If it passes the state's safety inspection then it's a street car. Doesn't mean it's comfortable, reliable, valuable or pretty. When you get into the supercar realm they build in roll cages structurally so they don't intrude but they do the same thing, protect the driver.

Cage or not....imo a street car can make a 3-4 hour trip on the highway at 70 plus, idle in the hottest slow bumper to bumper traffic, stop from panic stops at freeway speeds/ moderate high speeds back to back without brakes fading (drag race car brakes dont hold up), trans wont boil over from high stall. But street car debate is neverending tho

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Sounds like my "racecar" LOL

Better yet, you show me a mass produced "Street Car" that came out of Detroit in the 80's with factory bar, smart guy.;)

We have done many "stealth" roll bars is TR's, and if done properly, they can be removed and leave minimal "scars" if removed.

The biggest downside is access to the rear seat for adults.

A BIG downside is having this happen and no roll bar, in this case a full cage was needed in this 9 sec. pass.

Buick Nats Nov 2011 034.jpg

I am old... explain this to me.
Street cars = NO cage-- don't come with cages from the manufacturer.
Race cars = CAGE -- Are required to have cages.

If you are going to race your street car (track or street) and want to be safe convert it to a race car and put a cage in it.:D

I am old... explain this to me.

I don't think he knows the difference between a roll bar and a cage.

I've got a roll bar with removable side bar and a removable cross bar in the back seat which I've removed about 3 times in the last 5 years to let someone in the back seat.

We could get real silly with this.

If you run race gas does that make a street car a race car?

Same for "drag radials"?

Going back in time, did a "full race cam" make your car a race car and a "3/4 race cam" let it still be a street car?

My thoughts are if you can go to your garage any time, get in your car and drive it to the grocery store in the rain and can sit back and enjoy the drive, you've got a street car. :)

I agree I agree .
Roads=street car
Race track =race car
Win I get my cage or roll bar in i'll have both o ya I feel so much better i'll have 2 in 1 can't beat that! !!!!!!!!

Street cars = NO cage-- don't come with cages from the manufacturer.
Race cars = CAGE -- Are required to have cages.

If you are going to race your street car (track or street) and want to be safe convert it to a race car and put a cage in it.:D

well if ya barrel roll your car lemme know how it works out for ya :p Ok... this thread is done for a week or so... Now what converter should I run in a car thats gunna be really fast . Oh remember I don't have any $$$$ -o_O