Roll Call !!!! What's going on with your Hot Air?

I bought my 84 GN new, when I was 22. Was the first new car I ever bought. Drove it stock for 8 years and 112k fun-filled miles. Since 92, it's been sitting in either my brother's barn (acting as a home for wayward racoons :frown:) or my garage. Lately, I've been thinking seriously about getting it on the road again.

It needs quite a bit of work, some body, some interior. Other things, windshield, tires, fuel pump, etc.. But it can be brought back.

I'm really amazed at the amount of parts available for these vehicles.

And I'm really happy to have this forum available. Thank you to those who started it, maintain it, and actively (and constructively) read and respond here.

As to my GN, I guess the plan for now is to just get it running, work on the interior and body.

All through the years, mostly I've just thought about keeping it completely stock. They really are great cars, as they came from the factory. I'm biased of course, but I like the 84 interior best of them all.

ahhh. we'll see how my restoration will go. I have no plans to finish it soon. Maybe in 2 years, and $4k. It's a rough estimate...

As for the question of stock vs. 'tweaked' I really don't know what to think at this point. It needs a new fuel pump right now, so why not put in a Walbro or Denso while I'm at it? Of course, that could in the future support bigger injectors, maybe higher boost...... arghhh!!! I see how these things snowball. But it's ok to do these things, as long as I keep the original parts, so I could restore it to stock one day if I want, right????right???

We'll see. Long term, I've kept it around this long, I can imagine I'll keep it forever.

Regards

Jeff

Welcome aboard Jeff. There's lots to read and sounds like there's lots to do to your car. Add a location to you info by your user controls so others near you can help you if you need it. Also add some info to a sig of some sort so we know what you're having to do with the car. As a rule we like to help other members figure out what's wrong with the car so you can enjoy it.

You need to see the rest in the B4Black section but here's a teaser for you.:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSCN0009.jpg
    DSCN0009.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 258
im ordering the gbody 3" dp tonight... I have a 3" dump, getting a cut out for it... shopping for the right alky kit for the right price... any recommendations???

Im also installing the 87 GN computer, and picking up an lt1 maf and translator from a local guy... a still need a tq converter and I have no clue what to get! im leaning towards a 2800 stall, but what i have no clue is what i would get better 1/4's with... LU or non LU??? so im stuck there for now... motor is complete, same combo for years now, just waiting for the finishing touches!!!

combo:
turboregal84's (herb) original hot air motor that went 12's... trw .030, 204-214 cam, ported polished intake, matched heads with bigger vlaves and 100# springs, 3 angle job, felpro gaskets throughout, poston headers-crossover, double roller chain and button, ATR up pipe, stock modded turbo, adj wastegate, 40lb red stripe injectors, accufab regulator (faded to my car color!!!), and a ported TB... im missing stuff but it still needs a lot...

Im going with a TT chip once I find an alky kit, and I have the MAT and walbro pump that need to go in... Im going to box my control arms myself for now, and I just put all new brakes on the beasty sitting in the shop class... Eventually, it will run, and eventually, it will run 12.00!!! lol

All the while, NO mechanical IC!!! lol

regards,

John;)

Attachments

• may-june 2010 082.jpg
    may-june 2010 082.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 259
  • february 2010 119.jpg
    february 2010 119.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 249
I spent all day Sunday at Richard Clark's. I now have new front rotors, front pads, front and rear seals, 7/8" S10 rear brake cylinders and freshly turned drums.

Operation "Nail the 60 Foot" is in full swing.

John, I really like my Pat's Performance converters 1003XHD Lockup at 2800 stall.

As far as a Alky kit goes, can't go wrong with the Razor kit, however I've ditched the PAC controller in favor of the ISAC for both Boost and Alky control. I'd recommend the ISAC if it was packaged as a kit, but for right now I'm not aware of any turn key kit solution.

i would go with razors alky kit for sure.

as far as the torque converter call dusty and get one from him. tell him what your looking to get out of the car and you can decide either L/U or NL. Its hard to beat the NL he has. i would only run a L/U converter if the car was 100% street driven

lol, its all good man. i hear that Sh!t at work all the time. but then again i hear im super nice as well.

Also you need to get to know me. I'm a nice guy ;)

bla, going to work on the car some next month. i will let you guys know whats going on soon.

What mods have you done to your car? "Best of 114 mph in hot air trim" is fantastic. I am impressed. I recently purchased a 84 GN with 125,000 miles, stock, clean, but not fast. I was really expecting it to be faster. Mine would be doing good to run 90 mph in the 1/4. I expect that there is some tunning that could be done to improve it. I am learning that these cars are to quote "a 1000 piece puzzel". Mine only pulls about 8lbs of boost. Any ideas? The receipe you used on your car would be appreciated.

What mods have you done to your car? "Best of 114 mph in hot air trim" is fantastic. I am impressed. I recently purchased a 84 GN with 125,000 miles, stock, clean, but not fast. I was really expecting it to be faster. Mine would be doing good to run 90 mph in the 1/4. I expect that there is some tunning that could be done to improve it. I am learning that these cars are to quote "a 1000 piece puzzel". Mine only pulls about 8lbs of boost. Any ideas? The receipe you used on your car would be appreciated.

8lbs? Should be a bit higher then that, Give this a shot while your at it.

Turbo Buick Performance Build Ups/Recipes

I had a dream of a twin turbo hot-air car. I want to try it lol but I don't have a car to put it in. Or money to do it. Has anyone tried it?