You can type here any text you want

Savitske Classic & Custom (SC&C) Street Comp II package:

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Gary Wells

White turbo Buick trailer park trash
Ok, just got home from having the SC&C Street Comp II package installed on my 19K mile turbo Buick. For those not familiar with this kit/package, it consists of tubular fully adjustable front upper lightweight control arms of steel and aluminum with the Howe tall upper & lower ball joints.
In addition to about a .75 or 3/4" drop on the front end, it looks trick, dropping the front end of the car just enough to give the car that "Is it or isn't it lowered? look", leaving the observer in suspense. Slight forward rake, just barely noticable, as mentioned above.
No more bump steer: Small and large sweepers (turns, corners) are now more acutely & accurately addressed. Pretty much set the steering wheel and just hold it constant, No more having to readjust the steering in segments of the sweeper as before. Freeway on & off ramps with a curve or turn are now fun again.
Appearance & cosmetics: Good riddance to that unsightlty front factory upper control arm. No more spacers. No more ugly rubber bushings, and no more worrying about when it has been wasted/disintegrated by the the down pipe.
Weight savings: I did not have access to any weight scales, but a definite noticable weight difference.
General overall handling improved noticably.
Cost: $619 + $40 for the lite-weight adjustment arms= $659ish
Downsides: Road vibration: Ever so slight increase in road vibration on road surface irregularities such as freeway sections & some rain grooving.
Howe lower ball joint fit (driver side only) was a little tight.
Brake dust shield on driver side only needed a slight removal of metal for clearance.
Contact Marcus Savitske at Savitske Classic & Custom for further details, or check out their website.
http://www.scandc.com/suspensions.htm#streetcomp2

last time I installed a stage II kit i seem to remember the instructions telling you to modify the dust sheild for clearence, weather id did or not I know I had to.

as for your vibration are you using the metal or rubber bushed arms ? I hadent really noticed much in the way of vibration on the 3 installs I did but they were all with the rubber bushed arms, I did just install a setup on a 68 GTO and used the metal bushed arms I hope it isnt too bad once I get it on the road.

Gbodyolds said:
last time I installed a stage II kit i seem to remember the instructions telling you to modify the dust sheild for clearence, weather id did or not I know I had to.
as for your vibration are you using the metal or rubber bushed arms ? I hadent really noticed much in the way of vibration on the 3 installs I did but they were all with the rubber bushed arms, I did just install a setup on a 68 GTO and used the metal bushed arms I hope it isnt too bad once I get it on the road.
---------------------------------
I had it installed at a local o Cal speciality shop, I personally did not read the instructions, nor am I implying that it was not in the instructions, I just thought it worthy of notation as it was the only thing that needed any modification to complete the installation. It was only enough that required grinding, not cutting to remove any metal, and probably nothing more than a safety recommendation to avoid any unnecessary interferrence.
I went with the metal bushings due to Marcus's recommendation regarding the heat from the downpipe. My decision had nothing to do with the difference in cost. The increase in road vibration, if any, is very slight and I don't think that anyone would notice it on good paved roads. The freeway that I was on is an exceptionally testy section due to the rain grooving, and maybe it is not an increase over a standard rubber bushed front end set-up. Maybe it is just a different sensation imput by comparasion.
And I am not unhappy in any way, shape, or form regarding the product. Actually, I am extremely pleased/satisfied with it, and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone else nor would i be hesitant about installing it on any other cars of mine that it is desiogned for.
Sorry if there was any confusion regarding my satisfaction or the extent of it with the product.

Gary -

Thanks for posting this information. I've been wanting the Stage 2 setup ever since I heard about it last year. I'm tired of fighting the *&%^$ steering wheel over Portland's streets, which are either full of potholes or grooved from studded tires.

You're using Kirban's front coils, right? Would you mind measuring your ride height, floor to top of wheelwell, when you get a chance? My 20-year-old factory coils give about 26" even. I like the look, but it's too low for tire clearance. At rest, the car sits on the (ZQ8) bumpstops. In motion, the pass. side will hit the inner fender.

I was going to get Moog 5658 springs, but it sounds like the Kirbans might give me some room to drop if I go with an SC&C setup.

I do not know if I am parked on level ground or not, but my readings are about 25 7/8" shotgun side & 26 3/8" driver side, to the lowest spot of the top of the wheelwell outline, not enough of a lean to detect visually. Kirban stock height springs, Bilsteins, GTA 16" X 8" rims with Michelin Sport pilots, virtually everything brand new. I have no clearance problems whatsoever.
Say hello to the Portland Steak and Chop in the whatever hotel it is in.
Killer single malt scotch selection there. Maybe you have other issues? Shocks, springs, body bushings? HTH

Mmmmmm...steak

Wells said:
I do not know if I am parked on level ground or not, but my readings are about 25 7/8" shotgun side & 26 3/8" driver side, to the lowest spot of the top of the wheelwell outline, not enough of a lean to detect visually. Kirban stock height springs, Bilsteins, GTA 16" X 8" rims with Michelin Sport pilots, virtually everything brand new. I have no clearance problems whatsoever.
Say hello to the Portland Steak and Chop in the whatever hotel it is in.
Killer single malt scotch selection there. Maybe you have other issues? Shocks, springs, body bushings? HTH
Thanks for taking those measurements. But stop picking on my issues. :) I suspect that my pass upper rear bushing is gone - haven't gotten a good look at it yet - and, combined with the sagging springs, this is causing the rub. My dad just flew in to help me with the front end rebuild - and he's buying all the parts! :cool: I'm going with Moog steering parts, springs, and bushings, Napa (Dana) balljoints, gbodyparts upper arms, and Bilsteins. And Firehawk Indy 500 tires. I just couldn't justify the Stage 2 right now.

I love a good steak, but I've never been to the Steak and Chop. Another thing on the "to-do" list...LOL.

Toady said:
Thanks for taking those measurements. But stop picking on my issues. :) I suspect that my pass upper rear bushing is gone - haven't gotten a good look at it yet - and, combined with the sagging springs, this is causing the rub. My dad just flew in to help me with the front end rebuild - and he's buying all the parts! :cool: I'm going with Moog steering parts, springs, and bushings, Napa (Dana) balljoints, gbodyparts upper arms, and Bilsteins. And Firehawk Indy 500 tires. I just couldn't justify the Stage 2 right now. I love a good steak, but I've never been to the Steak and Chop. Another thing on the "to-do" list...LOL.
---------------------------
Didn't realize that I was picking on any of your issues, only answering your question/request about measurements. Might be Portland Steak & Chop, or might be Portland Chop & Steak, bottom of Hotel with the famous Indian chief name in Portland. Sorry for any confusion that my response might have caused.

Wells said:
---------------------------
Didn't realize that I was picking on any of your issues, only answering your question/request about measurements. Might be Portland Steak & Chop, or might be Portland Chop & Steak, bottom of Hotel with the famous Indian chief name in Portland. Sorry for any confusion that my response might have caused.
RE: Issues. I was being a wisea$$...so, also sorry for any confusion. :) I'll look up the steakhouse and see what the name really is. BTW, I'm about to jump into the front end work. Parts are here from Summit and NAPA - just have to finish waking up.

Sorry to revive the old thread, looking at this stage II kit now, is this still good info or are there other better/less expensive ways to do it?

Sorry to revive the old thread, looking at this stage II kit now, is this still good info or are there other better/less expensive ways to do it?

Do you want to meet up in Buda this Saturday and you can check out my SCandC Stage 2 kit?

Rob

IMHO, the best bang for the buck! I'm going with the Stage II kit on my car. The SPC arms offer infinite ajustability, and the taller ball joints improve the camber curves and roll center height for even better handling. Offered for $639 on their website.

This kit offers the best camber curve available. I've literally had 100 phone calls from people on the board telling me how much they like it and cant believe how it stays flat on the road. Marcus is an extremely intelligent person and loves to offer advice and knowledge. Most people have a design theory, Marcus has a mathematical formula to prove his set ups as well as many top cars competing across the world.

I personally chose the AFX package but the Stage 2 is a very cost effective way to acheive the same thing.

Let us know what you chose!

Answer to first question : YES
Answer to second question. : NO
:biggrin:;):cool:

Back