You can type here any text you want

SE Turbo Front Mount Intercooler

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
KLHAMMETT said:
Lonnie, I wasnt saying no one ran close to Daves ET or MPH, Just that after the Nats and Dave running 9.40s then mentioning the turbo he ran
( Xtrim71BB) Many a person ran out and purchased that turbo thinking it would make them fast,So far I have not seen another car with that turbo come close.The car Jack mentioned about(granted im sure there is power left in his combo)Has run a best of 129 mph with 29#s of boost.Thats 17MPH difference.Not sure they can get that much more from it.

Steves car is definetly hauling ass,but 4 mph is still quite a bit of power difference and or weight difference.

I Ran right with dave and i was running a GTS76 which is way bigger than his 71 Xtrim,I am heavier than Dave,But i believe high intake temps played a role in my car being a bit off its pace

Metcalf's car with 76GTS at 3600lb went 9.27@148 with 26 lb of boost an old Gen6 and last but not least one of Jacks intercoolers. I have no idea what the intercooler temps were not sure we even cared at the time.

4 MPH off can be more than just power. Converter slip, headwind, cam rpm range, $6000 VSC trans and converter and many things can affect MPH other than just raw HP. Hope you get your problem sorted out. I am sure cooler intake temps will help but there are many other items to look at that can also help.

Lonnie, My problems are much bigger now, My crank snapped in 2,
So i am working on a completley new combo now,Going to a solid roller and "R" heads with a 4.1 block this time.
We did mathmatically check my convertor slip,
I got my convertor at 6% slip, Im leaving it there.It is a custom built TCI
convertor done by Kevin Winsted.

KLHAMMETT said:
Lonnie, My problems are much bigger now, My crank snapped in 2,
QUOTE]

Broken crank is no good. Good luck with new combo. You running TSL or TSO this year?

KLHAMMETT said:
Where did you get the number you quote for Dave's motor? I think its way off base.
Actually im sure i know who gave you that number. :rolleyes:
My entire stage combo didnt have that into it.

Funny how it goes from fact to fiction isn't it. :rolleyes:

Not sure yet, It all depends on what turbo i decide to run, If i keep my current GTS turbo ill go TSL, If i sell it ill go bigger and run TSO.

KLHAMMETT said:
Not sure yet, It all depends on what turbo i decide to run, If i keep my current GTS turbo ill go TSL, If i sell it ill go bigger and run TSO.

GO BIGGER......TSO :eek:

quickt said:
:eek: Its now how big your turbo is. Its how you use it :confused:

Kind of but it is easier to do less with more than more with less. ;)

Ted A. said:
Funny how it goes from fact to fiction isn't it. :rolleyes:
Not only that but even if you do spend big money that does not mean much. Lots of guys spend big money and still go slow. You have to be able to tune, hook, adjust to conditions and drive the car in a heads up race. Dave can do all those things, and do them well. He works, tests and tunes. He trys new things. That is why he is where he is, not just because he threw his wallet at the car.
</rant>
Mike

Mike Licht said:
Not only that but even if you do spend big money that does not mean much. Lots of guys spend big money and still go slow. You have to be able to tune, hook, adjust to conditions and drive the car in a heads up race. Dave can do all those things, and do them well. He works, tests and tunes. He trys new things. That is why he is where he is, not just because he threw his wallet at the car.
</rant>
Mike

I have to agree with Mike here.
I have seen too many big doller paper weights in my life including a 11 second
stage 2 car.... :mad:

Mike Licht said:
</rant>
Mike
A little wallet-throwing doesn't hurt either. :D

TurboDiverArt said:
I have seen one too. :rolleyes:

Art.
Hell my car is fairly budget,mostly every part is used,no big dollar new parts here, I take peoples used up parts and go faster with them,Well except for the crank,BUt i got 50 passes on it ;)

KLHAMMETT said:
Hell my car is fairly budget,mostly every part is used,no big dollar new parts here, I take peoples used up parts and go faster with them,Well except for the crank,BUt i got 50 passes on it ;)

You excited for vegas? Maybe I'll get to meet you this time. Looks like I'll be hooking up with len on sat at the track. Couple days and counting baby! :D

Air to air intercooler efficiency for a given intercooler varies with two different factors:
1. the amount of air to be cooled
2. the amount of cooling air going across the core

If Jacks IC isnt working on a couple of cars then both the cars and the IC's themselfs need looked at:

Laz stated good inlet temps with this IC on a low 9 second car. That should proove the IC is good into the HP range Ted and Otto are at. Atleast good enough not to have the inlet temps thier seeing. I don't think anyone posting or reading this thread would think those temps are anything less than INSANELY high. Air inlet path and turbo selection will effect the overall outlet temps of the IC, but a good IC will mask this some what anyway. Turbo out temps 50 deg higher doesn't mean IC out temps will be 50 deg higher, they will only be 5, 10, 15 deg higher, it all depends on the efficiency of the IC. The physical size of the Cotton FM should allow it to be efficient at the 9 second power level and Laz's inlet temps prove it. The only question left is wether Laz is doing some thing to get a crazy amount of cooling air across the core, or is thier something in Ted's or Otto's set up thats restricting it. This is an area that should be looked at for us all. People who are currently or planning on running a Cotton FM will want to know what to watch for, and the people switching from it and moving onto a new one will want to pay attention because it will effect thier new IC also. It would be real helpful if we could get Laz, Otto, and Ted to answere these questions that I can think of:

1. what brand and size radiator
2. what brand and size cooling fan set up
3. fan shroud set up
4. a/c condensor or not
5. any special IC scoop or airflow deflectors
6. method of cleaning the IC core and last time it was cleaned
7. whats the gap spacing between the IC and the radiator

These are a few things that I can think of the will effect the IC efficiency at the general HP level these three are at. Guys with 10 second TSM cars will not apply to this. This IC will ALWAYS be at a higher efficiency level on 10 second car than it will be on a 9 second car for a given amount of cooling air flow. Its not a bash to 10 second cars is just a law of thermal dynamics.

Ted and Otto:

A 76 turbo's peak efficiency island is below 22.5#'s of boost and below around 650hp. It has a pretty good compressor efficiency all the way up to about 32#'s and approx 800hp. It has a decent efficieny up to about 39#'s and approx 850 hp. This easily shows why a V8 guy would say that they suck at high boost, where as a V6 guy may say it did fine. The V8 guys will have to keep the boost moderate. If the V8 starts turning up the boost, the HP level will climb to high, and the 76 compressor will get real inefficient trying to pump that much air at that higher boost. Turbos should not be selected for a HP level or a boost level. The proper way to select a turbo is to determine how much HP you're going to make AT a selected boost level.
If you guys are at 27 psi and over about 750 or 800 hp at that boost level then the 76 isn't working at a high efficiency. Ted's turbo test measured after the IC. Even it Ted would have measured at the turbo outlet there would not have been a big temp difference unless he's a good bit over 800 hp. Its getting late so I'm to tired to do the math right now. If ether of you had a real good guess of what HP level you're at I could do the compressor efficiency calculations for you. Also keep in mind that if you get your IC outlet temps inline the compressor section will have to pump even more air at the 27#'s. That can be calculated also if you're curious.

Jason

Hi Jason the temps i posted are from my buddie Manny's car at reynolds .I can tell u his car has ac has a becool radiator spal fans and is a stock low milage car with a stage 2 motor and it ran high nines not low nines. I think that maybe with the combo some guys have that they may have different results .I remember last year at bowling green with Roys tse combo we ran 9.40s@144 all day in the heat he runs the spal fans with a griffin radiator no ac condensor the engine temp never gets higher than 180 even after a pass .I know some have posted high temps and i think they need to get it fixed maybe they will swap coolers and post the results i have one of the first ones Jack made and im happy with it .

I guess that Roy's inlet temps are the ones we should be asking about.

Jason

postal said:
Air to air intercooler efficiency for a given intercooler varies with two different factors:
1. the amount of air to be cooled
2. the amount of cooling air going across the core

If Jacks IC isnt working on a couple of cars then both the cars and the IC's themselfs need looked at:

Laz stated good inlet temps with this IC on a low 9 second car. That should proove the IC is good into the HP range Ted and Otto are at. Atleast good enough not to have the inlet temps thier seeing. I don't think anyone posting or reading this thread would think those temps are anything less than INSANELY high. Air inlet path and turbo selection will effect the overall outlet temps of the IC, but a good IC will mask this some what anyway. Turbo out temps 50 deg higher doesn't mean IC out temps will be 50 deg higher, they will only be 5, 10, 15 deg higher, it all depends on the efficiency of the IC. The physical size of the Cotton FM should allow it to be efficient at the 9 second power level and Laz's inlet temps prove it. The only question left is wether Laz is doing some thing to get a crazy amount of cooling air across the core, or is thier something in Ted's or Otto's set up thats restricting it. This is an area that should be looked at for us all. People who are currently or planning on running a Cotton FM will want to know what to watch for, and the people switching from it and moving onto a new one will want to pay attention because it will effect thier new IC also. It would be real helpful if we could get Laz, Otto, and Ted to answere these questions that I can think of:

1. what brand and size radiator
2. what brand and size cooling fan set up
3. fan shroud set up
4. a/c condensor or not
5. any special IC scoop or airflow deflectors
6. method of cleaning the IC core and last time it was cleaned
7. whats the gap spacing between the IC and the radiator

These are a few things that I can think of the will effect the IC efficiency at the general HP level these three are at. Guys with 10 second TSM cars will not apply to this. This IC will ALWAYS be at a higher efficiency level on 10 second car than it will be on a 9 second car for a given amount of cooling air flow. Its not a bash to 10 second cars is just a law of thermal dynamics.

Ted and Otto:

A 76 turbo's peak efficiency island is below 22.5#'s of boost and below around 650hp. It has a pretty good compressor efficiency all the way up to about 32#'s and approx 800hp. It has a decent efficieny up to about 39#'s and approx 850 hp. This easily shows why a V8 guy would say that they suck at high boost, where as a V6 guy may say it did fine. The V8 guys will have to keep the boost moderate. If the V8 starts turning up the boost, the HP level will climb to high, and the 76 compressor will get real inefficient trying to pump that much air at that higher boost. Turbos should not be selected for a HP level or a boost level. The proper way to select a turbo is to determine how much HP you're going to make AT a selected boost level.
If you guys are at 27 psi and over about 750 or 800 hp at that boost level then the 76 isn't working at a high efficiency. Ted's turbo test measured after the IC. Even it Ted would have measured at the turbo outlet there would not have been a big temp difference unless he's a good bit over 800 hp. Its getting late so I'm to tired to do the math right now. If ether of you had a real good guess of what HP level you're at I could do the compressor efficiency calculations for you. Also keep in mind that if you get your IC outlet temps inline the compressor section will have to pump even more air at the 27#'s. That can be calculated also if you're curious.

Jason

Ok, you just spewed a bunch of useless garbage......now what kind of times does your 275 twin turbo run and which intercooler? :rolleyes:

Back