Setup Criticism

Really? AWESOME! So Alky is definetely on the list now! Looks like im dropping 1,600 in the motor. Heres the list again! Lets hope its better this time :D
Alky Kit: $600
New Berrings: $50
Power Logger: $265
Fuel Pump Upgrade + Hotwire Kit: $175
Turbo Tweak Chip: $85 (I dont have a chip with my 87 ECM)
Adjustable Wastegate Actuator: $90
Adjustable Fuel Pressure: $110
Gasket Kit: $33 (w/o cylinder head gaskets)
Head Gaskets: $59
Valve Springs: $42
Big Mouth Air Kit: $225
ZDDPlus (6 Pack): $60
Total Cost: About: $1600-1700

Is that good :D?

I"m still learning here but I have to say I've received some very good advice from brad, jerryl and boost231, my unqualified (compaired to them) opinion would be to take the money you save on parts bought off this board and add that wideband o2 and upgrade the tt chip to a 6.0 wide band add those to your list. Theres a lot things you can do (tuning wise) with a powerlogger and a wideband and the 6.0 chip. I was sitting at the track today starting to install my alchy kit from razor and watching esinger tune his hot air using a powerlogger, tt wide band chip, and alcohol kit and he said he was running around 21 pounds on his set up.

I"m still learning here but I have to say I've received some very good advice from brad and boosted, my unqualified (compaired to them) opinion would be to take the money you save on parts bought off this board and add that wideband o2 and upgrade the tt chip to a 6.0 wide band to your list. Theres a lot things you can do (tuning wise) with a powerlogger and a wideband and the 6.0 chip.

I agree 100%, but your on a budget and you need injectors for this to work, (atleast 50's)

if you can get the extra $$$ and get a set of 60's ( you have to have atleast 50's for the TT WB chip to work) you will be suprised on how easy it makes tunning. anyways something to look into.

if not erics normal chip will work great as well

O, one other thing, WHy are you doing headgaskets? the price you have listed is cheap. The stockers are steel shim gaskets and they are great IMOP. be careful on what gaskets you put in, if your changing them

OK, both of you Sr. guys are very informed, so I must have missed something. :confused:
You guys think he can do all this motor refreshing and parts upgrades for $2000? :confused:

I can run down a list and spend $10K pretty easy, but the advice I gave is based on the OP's $2000 budget.
Alky and clean stock injectors will be FAAAR better than ANY other size injector without alky, on a DD. (Ass-U-Ming pump gas), period. :wink:
Stock injectors and alky are enough to go low 12's for sure, and the COMBINATION of the sum of the other parts are not doing that.

Scenario 1
So, let say you look around, and sit and wait . . . . . .and locate a good TA33 for $400-$500 and install it.
Now, let me run down my mental listing with the TA33 in hand, all esle being equal;
-Stock injectors and alky will still be ok, correct?
-Scan tool will still work, correct?
-New chip is needed
-PS header is questionable with the larger turbo.
-Converter will most likely need to be upgraded.
-Stock DP is a killer with the larger turbo.

Scenario 2
So, let just say that the OP does NOT install the alky kit since the $$$ was spend on the TA33. (Still $2000 total budget)
You guys think the TA33 is worth the $$ at stock boost levels, with unported heads, stock PS header, stock DP, stock converter? :confused:

IMHO, the bottom line is this:
Those of us who have spend the $$$ at one time or another all know that "go fast parts" mean NOTHING without a good chip, a good scan tool and a good tune.
"Budget" and "Fast HA" do not belong in the same sentence :eek:, and stand by my second advice (After re-reading the original question . . ;)).

jerry, i missed the "budget" part :eek:

and let me tell you, you hit the nail on the head when you posted this

"Budget" and "Fast HA" do not belong in the same sentence :eek:,

sometimes i get side tracked and dont read every post. anyways hope i helped some. i will read all the posts from here on out to try and help

( you have to have atleast 60's for the TT WB chip to work)

You're right I just checked the website, TT recommends at least 50's and they sell a combo set 60's and a chip for like $380 , so if he gets them and gets the wideband he's gonna go over that 2000 buget even with the savings from parts with board members figured in...... so I guess that won't work.

ment to type 50's. just changed out a set of 42.5 to 60's so i could use his new WB chip. with no other changes ( i had the old TT chip tuned great) we still picked up ET since it will clean the A/F up better over a longer area

2000 budget, lets save and get a 3,000 budget. hell lets just bust the budget ;)

I gotta agree with you on the gaskets too, there's not much worse than taking the time and spending the money to take your motor apart and put it back together only to blow out a gasket the first or second run and realize that you have to spend the cash to do it again cause you didn't go with the best gaskets you could get. They are worth the extra cash.

Oh. Those were the first gaskets I saw, just threw them in there :p. Ill do some searching and such for gaskets. I have decided to put the 600$ from the Alky into seat covers for the interior.. I will still be building the engine up, but Im going to wait. I will most likely save for the Turbo, Injectors, WB, Chip, and Alky kit all in one go. Shouldnt take long :p.

Gasket Kit: $33 (w/o cylinder head gaskets)
Head Gaskets: $59

HG's will be a bit more than $59. More around $150 - $170.
You may also need new head bolts. :eek:
If they don't leak, leave them alone!

Quick Update: I have decided to upgrade using stages! I hate to keep bothering you guys, but I want to be sure! Take a look:
Stage 1:
Kirban Performance:
-Billet Aluminum ADJUSTABLE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR $105.00
-HEAVY-DUTY VALVE SPRINGS (12) SET $40.00
-ZDDPLUS SIX PACK 4-OUNCE BOTTLES (6) $59.70
Cotton's Performance:
-Heavy Duty Actuator $99.00
Turbo Tweak:
-Power Logger for Turbo Buick $264.99
-Fuel Pump Kit for Turbo Buick '340' Pump $119.99
-Fuel Pump Wiring Kit for Turbo Buick $44.99
-TurboTweak Classic Chip v5.6 (or upgrade) $85.00
Full Throttle Speed:
-Buick V6 Main Bearing Kit $29.99
-Buick Cam Bearing V6 $19.99
TA Performance:
Gasket Kit- Full set $130.00
V6 FELPRO STEEL HEAD GASKETS $125.00
Total: $1125

Stage 2:
ESP Performance:
TUR200 84-5 TA 33 TURBO W/O T-BODY $895.00
Turbo Tweak:
Wideband O2 Replacement Sensor for AEM $69.99
Injectors - 60lb, Set of 6 Flow Matched $319.99
TurboTweak Wideband Chip v6.0 (or upgrade) $89.99
Full Throttle Speed:
Valve Covers w/ "Buick Motorsports" logo $139.99
TR Custom Parts:
Razor Alky Kit $599.99
Stainless Exhaust $650.00
Big Mouth Cold Air Intake $220.00
Total: ~3000

Quick Update: I have decided to upgrade using stages! I hate to keep bothering you guys, but I want to be sure! Take a look:
Stage 1:
Kirban Performance:
-Billet Aluminum ADJUSTABLE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR $105.00
-HEAVY-DUTY VALVE SPRINGS (12) SET $40.00
-ZDDPLUS SIX PACK 4-OUNCE BOTTLES (6) $59.70
Cotton's Performance:
-Heavy Duty Actuator $99.00
Turbo Tweak:
-Power Logger for Turbo Buick $264.99
-Fuel Pump Kit for Turbo Buick '340' Pump $119.99
-Fuel Pump Wiring Kit for Turbo Buick $44.99
-TurboTweak Classic Chip v5.6 (or upgrade) $85.00
Full Throttle Speed:
TA Performance:
Total: $1125

Stage 2:
ESP Performance:
TUR200 84-5 TA 33 TURBO W/O T-BODY $895.00
Turbo Tweak:
Wideband O2 Replacement Sensor for AEM $69.99
Injectors - 60lb, Set of 6 Flow Matched $319.99
TurboTweak Wideband Chip v6.0 (or upgrade) $89.99
Full Throttle Speed:
Valve Covers w/ "Buick Motorsports" logo $139.99
TR Custom Parts:
Razor Alky Kit $599.99
Stainless Exhaust $650.00
Big Mouth Cold Air Intake $220.00
Total: ~3000

Sounds like you have a good plan but you really don't need the valve covers unless you plan on roller rockers later. Get a spare set of covers and have them powder coated.:biggrin:

ok, i will give my .02 for what its worth. bare with me its late here and sometimes i don't make since when its late. also i havent read every post in this thread. i probley should but i will later.

i hope you do all the SPRING CLEANING stuff prior to all this stage 1,2 list.

ok as for stage 1. stage one looks good except this.

Heavy Duty Actuator $99.00 from cottons, you told us your on a budget. why not make the factory one adjustable. that will save you $$$, you can make your factory one adjustable for less then 15 bucks.

Full Throttle Speed:
TA Performance:

whats wrong with your bearings that are in the car??????
what gaskets are leaking now???
why do you need new head gaskets???
you don't need to pull the heads to change valve springs...

stage 2 looks good except this

Wideband O2 Replacement Sensor for AEM $69.99-- thats just a replacement sensor. you need a LC-1 or PLX WB setup so you can run it to the powerlogger. this is what you need (yes more money) FULL THROTTLE SPEED - Innovate LC-1 Lambda Cable w/ O2 Sensor

and Valve Covers w/ "Buick Motorsports" logo $139.99 --- thats just looks. now if you want to do this i would put it in the stage 1 area since you will have to pull the valve covers anyways why not put new ones on then. i just dont want you to pull the old ones replace the springs, put the old valve cover on just to pull it when your ready for stage 2.

other then that looks good. :D

only thing I see is your price for razors kit, the price is wrong, only reason I know is we just put his kit on this week down in NC at the turbobuick nat's. The price for a hot air kit is 705.00 that gives you the selinoid that you need for a hot air car and also if you got digital dash that price includes the 3bar map sensor. if you don't have the digital dash the price is around 625.00 (cause you still need the selinoid)

Budget Build up

ment to type 50's. just changed out a set of 42.5 to 60's so i could use his new WB chip. with no other changes ( i had the old TT chip tuned great) we still picked up ET since it will clean the A/F up better over a longer area

2000 budget, lets save and get a 3,000 budget. hell lets just bust the budget ;)

Brent doesn't know what the word budget means.......for him it's all out or nothing. That guys been spending money on his car since his first pay check. LOL:biggrin:

FWIW:
Stock (Clean!) 28 LB injectors are good for 6x28x(1/0.6)= 280 HP
Add alky at say 30%, you should be good for 364 HP in round numbers. :tongue:

Okay, I fixed alky, sensor, and as for the adjustable wastegate, I want to be able to put everything back to stock when I want a show car, or maybe just not go fast (as stupid as that may sound) that Is why I did not want to mod the intake for alky in the first place. And lastly, I am pulling the engine for a complete rebuild, why not throw some new bearings, and gaskets in?

Brent doesn't know what the word budget means.......for him it's all out or nothing. That guys been spending money on his car since his first pay check. LOL:biggrin:

someone know's me to well, that statement is on 100%

Okay, I fixed alky, sensor, and as for the adjustable wastegate, I want to be able to put everything back to stock when I want a show car, or maybe just not go fast (as stupid as that may sound) that Is why I did not want to mod the intake for alky in the first place. And lastly, I am pulling the engine for a complete rebuild, why not throw some new bearings, and gaskets in?

if your pulling the motor for a "complete rebuild" good luck on the $2000 budget. :rolleyes:

Well, not complete. There are a lot of stock parts going back in, but everything will be squeaky clean!