You can type here any text you want

Sloppy Steering

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jpratt

My steering wheel has got worse over the past few years to the point I hate driving the car. The shaft seems tight all way from the fire wall to the steering box. A neighbor told me to loosen the jam nut on the box and tighten the set screw in a few turns and give that a shot. Is this viable advise or should I just replace the steering box, it does not look like a fun job to do.

Don't mess with adjusting that. End up making it drive worst. Replace the steering box it isn't that much work

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Be sure to check all the other steering parts (tie rods, centerlink, etc.) to see where most of the slop is.

Be sure to check all the other steering parts (tie rods, centerlink, etc.) to see where most of the slop is.

This is the most likely problem. Have the wheels sitting on the ground and look at the front suspension while some turns the wheel slightly back and forth. Look for loose parts first. Most likely the center link is worn out.;)

The entire front suspension is brand new, installed last fall. The only thing I did not replace was the LCA and the steering box to steering wheel. This problem was there last year but has been getting progressively worse. Alignment shop said it was probably the steering box or shaft, I was like duh everything else is brand new. Guess I really need to finish up and replace the box. I was so looking forward to driving all year with out a break.

Whether it's new or not, do the front end check like I posted. That will help you find what's causing the slack.;)

Get a jeep shaft and steering box.
I did this last year. Night and day difference.

is there any place in particular to get the steering box, or just hit up "O'VancedZone Auto", or wherever...?

Bob

What is the part number for the Jeep shaft and gear box. Currently doing a full frame restoration and replacing most of the suspension and brakes on my gn.

Not sure of the part number but for my car a new DSE shaft and steering box fixed all my slop.

Back