You can type here any text you want

Smoke at idle...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
When I had a turbo seal go on the exhaust side, I had to run the car for about 20 mins and rev it to see the oil seeping.

Still Smokin'

Replaced the PCV Valve today... Still got smoke. Next up is pulling the DP... Wife tore a muscle in her back so I've got baby duty for a while... maybe next Sunday......

My vote is valve guide wear on the exhaust side. You cannot use a positive seal on stock exhaust valves. The undercut stem will act like a plunger and push oil down the guide and into the exhaust stream. The smoking will get worse as the oil heats up and get's thinner.

As you "get on the throttle under boost" you will burn off the excess oil in the exhaust system until it doesn't smoke anymore. After a while the oil will leak into the exhaust stream again and the smoking will start again. A bad turbo exhaust seal will not smoke on initial start-up but will start smoking after it gets hot... just like worn exhaust guides.

I pulled the DP today... this is what I found... Does this help with the diagnosis? I appreciate all the help you guys are giving.... I'd be lost without ya'll!

Before starting, this is what the Throttle Body looked like:
1tb.JPG

Before starting, this was the exhaust side of the turbo:
1first.JPG

Just started engine:
2start.JPG

15 mins while engine was running:
3oil.JPG

20 mins while engine was running:
4oil.JPG

Looks like a bad turbo seal to me. What up with all the black soot?

It does eat some oil.. And the soot, I dunno. Maybe from running rich? I really haven't driven on this motor a whole lot... What are you thinking?

I agree. Turbo seal looks wet. What are you grounding on the throttle body?
Not the best place for a ground. Also need some throttle body seals.

It does eat some oil.. And the soot, I dunno. Maybe from running rich? I really haven't driven on this motor a whole lot... What are you thinking?

Sucking oil via PVC? How much oil are you down?

I've too heard soot is from a rich condition but the times I've seen it the engine uses oil. Soot = bad rings? Can someone else confirm this? I don’t know just a theory.

Where would one find these? GM parts counter?

There's few place that sell them, do a search and they will come up. You can get them from gbodyparts also. Not available at your dealer.

I agree. Turbo seal looks wet. What are you grounding on the throttle body?
Not the best place for a ground. Also need some throttle body seals.

the ground is just for the fuel pump.... I only connect it when I need to run the pump with the car off (to get fuel from the fuel rail).

And for a turbo seal, I need to either get this one rebuilt, or trade up, correct? If so, any suggestions on a new turbo? I'd rather not change the setup in my sig, aside from the chip... so 60#ers and a 3500 stall... and no higher than about $1.5k..... Thanks!

---Ron

gotta pull a valve cover and look through the valve spring to see if it has been machined for a positive seal or they used a different style. my car is smoking the same as yours and the problem is I have umbrella style seals and they are causing the valves to leak downthe stems. I am going to pull the heads and have the guides machined to accept the positive seals. not sure this is your problem but sounds like my car. I have had the turbo rebuilt and mine is doing the exact same thing.

the ground is just for the fuel pump.... I only connect it when I need to run the pump with the car off (to get fuel from the fuel rail).

And for a turbo seal, I need to either get this one rebuilt, or trade up, correct? If so, any suggestions on a new turbo? I'd rather not change the setup in my sig, aside from the chip... so 60#ers and a 3500 stall... and no higher than about $1.5k..... Thanks!

---Ron

3500 is a lot of stall for a new style turbo. You can get a really big one! A 6262 only needs 28-3200 and that will touch 10's. If you like the set up get it rebuilt.

Call Tom at Champion about the valve stem seals. Let us know what he says.

3500 is a lot of stall for a new style turbo. You can get a really big one! A 6262 only needs 28-3200 and that will touch 10's. If you like the set up get it rebuilt.

Agree with that stall a used TE45A for ~$600 might be the perfect fit. The 45A HP rating is ~700. I have a 66 BB and it spools fine with a 2800 12".

Back