You can type here any text you want

stage 1 stage 2 regular 4.1

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

justin84

done
I am in talks with a fella in Mi that has some "extra" buick motors. What I have been told is that there are 2 stage 2 complete engines, a stage 1 block with crank and heads, and a "few" 4.1 complete buick engines.

My question is what are the differences between the whole lot? Were the stage motors production motors or???

What is the significance of the regular 4.1?

I am new to the 4.1 aspect all together and have always skipped the threads about them simply because of the cost of the stage engines.

Basically, what's the big deal???

I want to know before I drop a few hundred dollars.....

Thanks for the info, still....more info would be nice. The regular 4.1??? Is it anything special? Can I just drop 3.8 stuff in it???? What can be done with this?:confused:

Thanks for the info, still....more info would be nice. The regular 4.1??? Is it anything special? Can I just drop 3.8 stuff in it???? What can be done with this?:confused:

Production 4.1 block is not a good design. They fail at the deck surface. I wouldnt be concerned under 500hp though. More than that its a matter of time till it breaks. Some will argue with me on this but its the truth. You need a set of pistons for the 4.1 which will be upwards of $800. Then you need to re-balance and be sure to use the correct head gasket. Stage blocks are the way to go if you want to run a large bore Buick. Cost to build one is considerably more than just a stock block engine. The stage 1 4.1 is a strong block but have a lot of problems cracking at the side plugs. There are remedies for that though.

Now we're talking! I have a guy that wants my super coupe for these. I'm interested in re-sale and maybe putting one in the G.N. thats getting passed down to me now. What do you think Bison???:confused:

Hey, will do. I'm only slightly a fool tho, I will be getting these. I'm not gonna miss out on this one. I never get the good deal, it's my turn!

Now we're talking! I have a guy that wants my super coupe for these. I'm interested in re-sale and maybe putting one in the G.N. thats getting passed down to me now. What do you think Bison???:confused:

Id grab them all if the price is right. Your not going to get hurt if their only a few hundred $. A good stage 2 block is worth $2000 by itself. Im sure the SC isnt worth more than $2k.

Going with a Stage 2 OFF-center block, you can swap over all the 3.8 stock accessories. The off-center blocks, the rods are not centered on the pistons.

The ON-center blocks, the cylinder banks are shifted around .120 fore and aft to center the rods on the pistons. The on-center blocks are supposed to handle more HP due to the location of the rods.

Stage heads are totally different animal than production stuff. The stage heads require a different cam, headers and intake.

The bottom line is that a Stage 2 block has extra head bolts around the bore and extra fasteners for the main caps. The blocks also have different oiling.

Here is some info:

Intake Photo Guide

Cylinder Head Photo Guide

Block Photo Guide

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Back