Stage 1, ta performace alum heads, blowing smoke and oil out of both breathers after fresh rebuild. less then 300 miles on engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My offerings

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190327-215501_Email.jpg
    Screenshot_20190327-215501_Email.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 176
Why not combine threads--- to keep it all in one place.

Piston to wall is .004 and cyls where nice and round. Phil is leaving a lot of information out.

1. The block had 12 crooked head bolt holes that where repaired by myself and Richard Clark at RCG. All where indexed in the mill, milled and taped fitted with timeserts.

2 The pistons where very nice, crank as well.

3 Steel caps loose in registers

4 new caps installed with new line bore

5. Block had a girdle on it at some point and the entire pan rail was milled

6 When I assembled it the 1st time I put the wrong pickup on it and ruined it in 5 miles, I figured that out with help from my freinds at RCG and elsewhere. I turned the crank and reassembled time #2. Next it was smoking on decel only, after using a ball hone(not a crude hone) I re rung again, eventually I found I had the #1 oil ring pack pinched with the dot on the oil rail support being upside down. I owned both mistakes and he did not pay for anything that I screwed up. I did discover a bad intake to head port alignment issue along the way that I missed upon initial assembly. That was fixed, head decked as stage block has a taller deck height than 109.

7. Engine was assembled for the final time and ran on my test stand 2 separate times---issue was fixed.

8. Installed in car, car put through it's paces here 300 miles before shipped to owner.

9 No smoke out breather's when it left Steve V's Automotive.

10 Owner complains of fuel smell, and rough running at initial cold start.

11. Owner and Dave Husek swap ignitions and cars run great.

12 TR6 sent back to Bob Bailey - nothing found wrong.

13 Dave Husek removes valve covers and adjust valves, finds 2 super loose. Phil is upset about this as well, right side still needs adjustment. Things take a set and sometimes need a going over later down the road.

14 Around Thanksgiving Phil calls/texts says smoke /oil /leaks wants to bring car back says needs new pistons. I initially say no, after talking to others I agree to look at car but Phil is responsible to get it to me and I want her present.

15 Yesterday - almost 4 months later with noe communication from Phil-he texts me sends video, same as above. I say i will look at it, but as far as tearing into for new pistons or whatever it needs it will have to get in line. I also explain that if he had gotten the car here in December 2018 and not waited 4 months I would already be into it. The current work load has at least tripled since then. I can not put him at front of the line.

16 Phils says he will keep the forum informed as what's going on. I have a bunch of emails/texts/some not so nice that can be posted if needed.

17 At this point he wants a refund or for me to pay for another TR shop to repair my build. I decline. I am obligated to fix what may or may not be wrong, not refund 6 months after the fact.

All that being said I can not nor can anyone proove what has happened to this car after it left Virginia. It is a turbo buick after all and a highly modded one at that. High performance work does not carry a warranty!

Pistons should have been replaced. A crude ball hone was done and pistons re-ringed. The finish wasn’t correct and motor had to come out yet again. A plateau hone was done and re ringed yet again. Here we are today. Tomorrow I will drain oil and do oil Analyis.

Pistons should have been replaced. A crude ball hone was done and pistons re-ringed. The finish wasn’t correct and motor had to come out yet again. A plateau hone was done and re ringed yet again. Here we are today. Tomorrow I will drain oil and do oil Analyis.
Incorrect and you know this, the #1 oil ring pack was pinched due to me installing it upside down. That was corrected. And issue was resolved.

The pistons are JEs in great shape, yup it was rerung, I had about 75 years of experience between two gurus verifying that was going to be fine.

The rings are JE moly pro select, gaps .018 to .022

Lol there he goes again blaming everyone for his mistakes. What he fails to tell you is that he blew up the motor the first time by using the wrong bearings spun the rod and crank had to be cut as well as the rods. Yet again he blamed a rod bolt that failed. Rod bolts on Carrillo rods can be torque unlimited. He burned my paint, damaged my crank and rods and never tightened the shocks so you bounced all over the place like a trampoline. I wish he would have told me he did not know how to build a stage motor.I have an email stating that this was otj training omg.

So after all the wrangling and finger pointing. I go down there to see what was going on take a test drive and I smell oil and engine is blowing oil again exactly how it is doing now. I mean I drove 8 hrs you think you would give me the heads up that something is not correct. So engine had to come out yet again. His excuse was oh it’s the rings oh it’s that. He never takes any blame. then he realized the intake and head Ports are not lining up. Shouldn’t this have been done the first time?Over 1 year with my car and look at where I am now.

So now I get the car back and it’s rapping like crazy. I take to over to Dave at Husek performance and proceeds to take off the valve cover to find out the rockers are loose. Passenger side still hasn’t been done: this is a guy who had my car over 1 year. Don’t you check check and recheck your work?

Soon after I got my car back it had an off idle stumble and more excuses came my way from oh the maf sensor was bad to the pcv valve etc etc when I finally showed him a video of what the car was doing and right away he says rings and pistons. Jesus Christ why didn’t he do this in the first place. 300 miles I have put on my car. Is this right no it isn’t.

Now he is trying to blame bob Baileys ignition setup. All in all Steve is a pretty decent guy but when shit goes wrong he is not a man to stand by his work all the videos are great but it’s all smoke and mirrors I wish I would have never brought the car there. It was a simple post and no ones name was brought into this. Now he is blaming me again.

I have leaks upon leaks upon leaks everywhere. What’s his excuse all these motors leak. Lol. How do you say that to your customer when you first told me I assure you that there will be none?

I got my car back in late oct when to one car show, went to Husek performance to have rockers adjusted weather got nasty and put the car away for the winter. Steve never wanted my car back. But he’s playing the good guy bad guy routine. I don’t drive my car in the winter and bob Bailey had my ignition for months you can verify with him. Besides the point why am I getting blamed? I guess that’s what you do when you take the customers money. Next route is a legal one.

I was assured phil your engine will never leak oil. umm there is a lot of oil everywhere, Once i got it back the retoric changed to all there engines leak oil. yeah i am sure they do but not like this. It was just more and more excuses and excuses honestly it tired me out. I dont exactly live around the block and he made sure to text me that AFTER my car was out of his hair. YOU SHOULDNT have come to a shop 800 miles away lol omg. SO arranging for pickup and delivery and is not exactly easy. But we had an agreement that I would pay one way he would pay another. Steve wants to leave this to texting only so he thinks that he has a smoking gun on me or something. I wish he could have built my motor the same exact way he cuts and paste text's.

All those video's are nice but they are after the fact. he blew up the motor the first time. So Dave from Husek performance made it clear that there was a special hone that had to be done. not a Crude BALL hone.

Steve V had no intention to take my car back. He is playing the two sides to the string like he has done before. There was something that I just could not trust with him. You know when you have that gut feeling. Make a long story short weather finally broke and had the car out a few times. It raps hard because the rockers need to be adjusted which if he knew what he was doing that would have been done when it was at his shop. It is still blowing smoke and oil leaks everywhere. He is now saying dave husek is going to build my motor. lol no he is not. So more lies and devious comments.

Any person that had this type of experience would not be happy.

Our documented text about oil leaks on these cars...and my stance as a builder.

Oil seeps will turn into leaks. The more WOT time the engine sees the worse it will get.

A steady drip like is not acceptable, but anything else is para for the course with 30 year old technology. I done several that leak very little, but they all leak at some point.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190328-071709_Message+.jpg
    Screenshot_20190328-071709_Message+.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 99
  • Screenshot_20190328-071723_Message+.jpg
    Screenshot_20190328-071723_Message+.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 100
A pic of the difference of oil pickup tubes. Which is how I ruined the 1st engine. It was not bearings, it was not rod bolts. It was the wrong tube, to close to the pan, we had pressure, but no volume.

The wrong bearing idea was put into your head by Husek. There are no magic bearings. Bearings ride on an oil film. And when it's not there any bearing will fail in short order.

Attachments

• 26781.jpeg
    26781.jpeg
    825.1 KB · Views: 127
And a few more random screenshots of our conversations along the path. About the engine and why it failed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190328-070946_Message+.jpg
    Screenshot_20190328-070946_Message+.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 95
  • Screenshot_20190328-071017_Message+.jpg
    Screenshot_20190328-071017_Message+.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 97
  • Screenshot_20190328-071111_Message+.jpg
    Screenshot_20190328-071111_Message+.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Screenshot_20190328-071154_Message+.jpg
    Screenshot_20190328-071154_Message+.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Screenshot_20190328-071207_Message+.jpg
    Screenshot_20190328-071207_Message+.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 96
Ok, guys. Time for all of us to stay out of this issue.
It appears we were pulled in, not having the back story.
Phil, take your issues to PM.
Any more incoming, and the thread will be locked.

Thanks!

Phil, do not start 2 threads on the same topic.
This is the deal. It's posted on your other thread, too.
Suggest you read it, and heed it.

"Ok, guys. Time for all of us to stay out of this issue.
Any more incoming, and the thread will be locked".

Thanks!

I was personally there when Steve was finishing up with this car. I saw it run on the engine stand and it had no issues. After that, Steve meticulously went through everything before installing it in the car. I saw him take his time with his attention to detail checking, adjusting, and marking the rockers. Steve then installed the motor in the car and it fired right up. No issues. I went with him on multiple test drives to put the car through its paces and never did the car smoke, leak, misfire, or present any issues. The car ran amazing and was pretty fast for low boost. I spent the next few weekends with Steve and throughout that time he drove the car multiple times on multiple trips and the car presented no issues. He really went out of his way and spent in my opinion way too much time to make sure the car was good to go when it was running great without issues.

As for now Phil, you have yet to diagnose the issue and start pointing fingers at the builder without knowing what is causing your concerns. For all we know it could be something as simple as a jacked up PCV system or condensation in the engine due to it being parked in since November.

I suggest you follow some suggestions already mentioned in this thread and find the cause of your concerns with your motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tr6, here's the screenshot of Phil saying it was the issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190328-080308_Message+.jpg
    Screenshot_20190328-080308_Message+.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 101
Ok, guys. Time for all of us to stay out of this issue.
Any more incoming, and the thread will be locked.

Thanks!
Chuck,

I have already been in communication with Phil via email. It was after I refused to pay for transportation back to SVA or refund/pay another shop that he came here.

I have all texts documented, lost of Facebook posts, videos on my Instagram account, YouTube channel, and the involvement of some pretty reputable buick gurus on the backside of the entire project from day one.

In my final email to Phil, I said bring yourself and the car back and we will evaluate it together and go from there. That's all SVA has to offer at this point.

We aren't going to PM, feel free to lock or let it run its course. SVA has nothing to hide.

There's another thread in engine tech as well.

Steve V

You blew up the motor the first time not knowing. What you were doing. You destroyed my paint not knowing what you were doing. Your getting other people involved for no reason. Even people close to you saying that you have a chip on your shoulder and should do the right thing. Now your blaming bob baileys tr6. No the tr6 works fine they don’t work well with COPPER plugs. But your the master at this all. You should have done the honorable thing instead of being a weasle and posting nonsense lies. Bottom line is it’s still blowing oil and motor running horrible. I mentioned no names and he proceeded to do so. This was the reason why I came on the board in the first place to get a idea of where to head with this. Oh and he blamed the turbo also for causing the blowing oil so I went with a new turbo and it still did same think. Now I am stuck with a turbo as well

Last edited:
Phil, do not start 2 threads on the same topic.
This is the deal. It's posted on your other thread, too.
Suggest you read it, and heed it.

"Ok, guys. Time for all of us to stay out of this issue.
Any more incoming, and the thread will be locked".

Thanks!
This is my story chuck he is not telling the truth and showing you only the emails he wants to show you. I asked him 10 times can I bring it down he said he don’t have time said latest is late 2019 early 2020. There is no reason for me to lie about any of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.