Stage 1, ta performace alum heads, blowing smoke and oil out of both breathers after fresh rebuild. less then 300 miles on engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
First things first.
1. Leak down test, & a compression test.
Batt fully charged, plugs out, t/b wired open.

Details on the build.

Were the TA heads new or used? Seems a little premature with valve guide seal wear unless if they were rebuilt and not put back together correctly. Do you smell any fuel mixed with the oil? I am with Chuck, the leak down test will point to ring seal, valve guides or possibly bent valves from either piston to valve clearance or valve touching the edge of the bore. Let us know.

Brand new taperformance heads.This all was supposedly done. What should the compression test numbers be?

300 hundred miles? Who rebuilt it? Is there a "Parts list"? If it wasn't you, then send it back and tell them to fix it.

"pistons were only thing not replaced." Who does that.... Why? Lotta hacks out there..... Gotta use a reputable builder. Hence the word "reputable"!

I had a new TA motor built by shit bird, Nick Micale, that was a total and complete piece-a-shit so I know how you feel. Not much you can do about it now, but tear it down and start over. That's what I did.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope it works out for you!

"pistons were only thing not replaced." Who does that.... Why? Lotta hacks out there..... Gotta use a reputable builder. Hence the word "reputable"!

I had a new TA motor built by shit bird, Nick Micale, that was a total and complete piece-a-shit so I know how you feel. Not much you can do about it now, but tear it down and start over. That's what I did.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope it works out for you!
Dunno, man to say I am upset about the whole situation is beyond. plus The cost in having to ship the car to the place. I mean I don't know what to do. my car was at the shop for 1 year. what would you do?

Dunno, man to say I am upset about the whole situation is beyond. plus The cost in having to ship the car to the place. I mean I don't know what to do. my car was at the shop for 1 year. what would you do?
I dont think them not changing pistons is a issue. Depends what needed to be done and clearances. As for what to do I would pick up the phone and call them first

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Car has been sitting since November. The weather finally starting to break so took the car out what a welcome surprise.

Whatever your numbers are, if they are for example 170, all of your cylinders should be around a few percent of each other. Make sure that these numbers are written down, save for a future test and reference down the road. This is on a compression test. On a leak down test, (Using a true leak downtester) I take all of the load off of the rockers so that the valves are completely closed, shove X amount of air into the spark plug hole, once you shut the air valve off, the gauge should hold, if it immediately starts to drop you know that you have an issue or that your O-ring on the tester is bad (missing). In my case bent valves.

Rather than lots of guessing why not call the builder ? Be nice about it. I am sure this isn't the builders first rodeo. Ya these projects do get carried away very easy. :cool:

Yes. So that in no way is normal right?

If it had a 100,000 miles, I wouldn't be surprised. The puffing indicates a possible head gasket leak into the lifter valley, or the rings are just garbage. Or something else.

But no, that is not right.

Pistons should have been replaced. A crude ball hone was done and pistons re-ringed. The finish wasn’t correct and motor had to come out yet again. A plateau hone was done and re ringed yet again. Here we are today. Tomorrow I will drain oil and do oil Analyis.

Last edited:
Car has sat for almost 5 months? it was fine when parked?.. only 300 miles ..did rings get a chance to seat well... may not be the popular choice..but i would change the oil and run it hard..within reason and being aware.

How long has the car sat? It could be condensation burning off. Have you verified the PCV system is operating correctly? What does it do when the oil is fully warmed up?

Looks like condensation or a PCV issue. A properly done leak down test will tell you if it’s something more serious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am the builder! And I have already offered for Phil to bring me the car and I will look at it with here. Phil wants me to give him his money back or pay for another TR shop to repair the issue. I have plenty of emails and text screenshots I will post depending on where this goes. When Phil didn't get what he wanted with me he said he would post here. I said go ahead I have nothing to hide.

When Phil got his car back he was quite happy, then after a few weeks things started to go south very quickly. Ist it was smelling like fuel, then it was a TR6 issue, stock ignition on fixed, few days later no it's still messed up-I messed with the wiring harness--must be something I did, TR6 send to Bob no issue found......and it goes on.

My 1st emailed asked him about the oil , he went right over that, I asked 1st start of season? Is it warm? etc, etc

Most who know me know I am stand up and don't deal in BS. If the customer expects me to pay for transport and repairs based off of a video and some pics that's not how it works. It did not do any of that when it left here. There are 2 other board members who saw and road in Phil's car.

Status
Not open for further replies.