Stage 2 TT street car

Man, oh man! Everything looks like a super tight fit. You really did manage to get all that stuff in there and still keep many of the accessories. Good work!
My only regret is not being able to squeeze in hydroboost brakes, I'm not sure if I am going to like manual brakes. If its awful I'll move a header tube. There is actually plenty of room around each dp.

Mike

My only regret is not being able to squeeze in hydroboost brakes, I'm not sure if I am going to like manual brakes. If its awful I'll move a header tube. There is actually plenty of room around each dp.

Mike
I had to play with mine to get it just right. But now it's good. Write in to the board if you have some trouble with the way it feels and I, along with so many others, who have done this will chime in to help you out.

Personally, it took a little while, but now I have grown to like it's feel. Also, it really cleans things up in my engine compartment and allows the engine's set-up to be featured as the "main attraction."

let's also not forget that when adding the complexity of a twin turbo set-up, sometimes you may just want to keep some of the other things simple.

Mike,

It's snowing here. So I'm home today. I just decided to look through this thread again from the beginning.

I wanted to say this has really turned out to be a great story. I hope others look into this thread and understand the sustainable dedication and persistence required to start and finish a project like this. And lets not forget to mention resources.

This May, you will be going on 3 years. It took me about the same time. And then came the part of when I had to work out all the major bugs. This was another year or so.

Snow day for me also so I designed the wastegates exhaust-to-downpipe tubes, sending up to SainlessHeaders.com for fab.

Attachments

• DSCF1724.JPG
    DSCF1724.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 311
  • DSCF1727.JPG
    DSCF1727.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 267
  • DSCF1730.JPG
    DSCF1730.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 274
Mike,

It's snowing here. So I'm home today. I just decided to look through this thread again from the beginning.

I wanted to say this has really turned out to be a great story. I hope others look into this thread and understand the sustainable dedication and persistence required to start and finish a project like this. And lets not forget to mention resources.

This May, you will be going on 3 years. It took me about the same time. And then came the part of when I had to work out all the major bugs. This was another year or so.
Most of the time was waiting for the engine, but it all worked out, the price was very reasonable. If I didn't love building hot rods I would probably paint art to relax, but this is my creative outlet just like everyone else on this site.
Mike

Most of the time was waiting for the engine, but it all worked out, the price was very reasonable. If I didn't love building hot rods I would probably paint art to relax, but this is my creative outlet just like everyone else on this site.
Mike
I waited 2 years for my motor to be built.

So I did my entire mock-up and fabrication on a borrowed and badly blown-up 109 block while I waited. By the time I got my motor back, all I had to do was swap over all the accessories and address the details. My stage motor is an Off-Center. So it worked out just fine for me.

Waiting on stuff to be built is part of the love/hate relationship for these cars!!!! I chased my first engine guy for years just to get my parts back and it cost me money just to get them back in serviceable condition.

New role at work has kept the hot rod work to a bare minimum the past year. Decided I just couldn't turn the job over for custom fab work, so I bought a TIG welder, band saw and a belt sander and did it myself. Need to send out a few pipes to Swain this week for white lightning coating then the car will be ready to go. TIG welding got a whole lot better real fast once I bought a Miller Elite helmet, it really does work well with the inverter-type welder, the welds were poor at first because I could not see the puddle. With the MIller hat I can see perfectly clear, went through a few bottles of Argon doing the exhaust but I'm so glad I did it myself, its not perfect but it will work. Another big lesson I learned is there is a huge difference between cheap Chinese mandrel bent tube vs. high quality pipe (Vibrant pipe). I caused myself excessive grief trying to fit the garbage Chinese pipe together, the Vibrant SS pipe is 3" diameter everywhere no matter where you slice it, the Chinese stuff was all over the map and only measured 3" in the straight runs.
The mufflers have a trap door that stays shut until you stand on it so the car should be nice and quiet, I ran these same Magnaflow muffs with the 109 and there was zero drone. 3" SS dual exhaust, 4" tailpipes. Also welded up some upper radiator pipes from 1.5" steel tube, put a bead on them today and now need to send them to Jet Hot.DSCF2046.JPG DSCF2051.JPG DSCF2069.JPG DSCF2070.JPG DSCF2080.JPG
Been quite a build, nearing the end now.

Mike

Great fabrication and way to stick with the program! When does the hemi8 Fab shop open?

Those pipe clamps are a great idea. I can tack mild steel pipe with one hand with an acetylene torch, but it's not so easy with stainless and a tig welder.

DSCF2126.JPG DSCF2133.JPG DSCF2137.JPG DSCF2125.JPG
Trunk work completed, A/C & water lines pulled away from rear suspension and routed through pass. compartment.

Mike

DSCF2105.JPG DSCF2194.JPG DSCF2221.JPG DSCF2212.JPG
One small mod to the driver's side DP and exhaust will be done. Brake bleed, fill with fluids, prime the engine and its done.

Mike