You can type here any text you want

Stage?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
The stage II heads mentioned may be good as a core, but expect to put about a g note into them (or more) for springs/spring cups/retainers/locks/valve job/machine work etc.
Most NA stage heads have weak used up springs on them which are not suitable for a turbocharged application, i.m.o.

The challenge was for a set of S2 heads for $400. Nobody said "complete - ready to run." I said I'd ship them immediately - which I'll do.

And, by the way, for $400 plus your g-note, that is one HELL of a set of heads for $1400 total investment.

They're excellent heads - Chapman's I was told. They came from Ray Baker Engeineering and probably flow 320+

Yes, you'd need springs, etc.

Odell's post is instructive. S2 parts can be had for reasonable $. That's all I was saying. I didn't say that setting up a car for 8's was cheap - just that you could build a reasonable strong and good running S2 for less than was implied with all the "bankruptcy" stuff.

.....and don't forget that when you run Stage2 heads you are going to NEED Stage2 headers....$$$$$$:eek:

.....and don't forget that when you run Stage2 heads you are going to NEED Stage2 headers....$$$$$$:eek:

And a Stage II FI intake!:)

No worries on the heads Mac, just do not want to hear about how stage II heads are only worth $400.00 when i go to sell my stuff!:tongue:
I have a good $2000 in mine.

And a Stage II FI intake!:)

No worries on the heads Mac, just do not want to hear about how stage II heads are only worth $400.00 when i go to sell my stuff!:tongue:
I have a good $2000 in mine.

No doubt. Good porting costs big bucks.

Hey - we're just yakkin'.:)

I have a stage 2 sittin here on the floor.. Been there for 8/9 years .. So they are worth something or they are NOT :confused: :p

109= best bang for the buck

Stage 1 = a little more money

Stage 2 = your house, your wife, your entire bank account, loans, bankruptcy!!!

Dont forget the pain and suffering waiting for parts LOL:rolleyes:

I have under 7K in my stage II long block build; some people have way more into a 109 block. It has taken a while since I started my stage II project... I started in 2003 slowly piecing together all the parts. I didn't want to break my bank or use borrowed money to accomplish my build. I could have finished it much sooner but that is another whole different story.
Mostly, I got all good used parts along with the few new parts. I also did a lot of wheeling and dealing. Obviously one of the first things I got was the block and the crank; there were no cheap Chinese cranks available at the time.

This is a stroker 274 cube on center motor (4.020 bore)

Stage II on center block $500 (traded a used 70 turbo that needed a rebuild and a down pipe setup. I had $500 in it)
BMS used wide journal 3.59crank $1500 (The most expensive part so far)
Carrillo Rods used set $300 (Used)
Diamond pistons $700 with the coatings (New)
Machine shop $1200 (bore, balance, heads and bearings)
Stage II heads and T&D rockers, valve covers $700 (real nice heads with 45cc chambers)
Stage II cam, solid lifters, push rods and springs $700 (cam and springs are new)
On center converted intake $400 (used)
Stage II headers $500 (I got really lucky here)
BHJ balance $100 (used)
JW fly wheel $50.00 (used)
External single stage pump, deep pan $450 (used)
Sold the odd fire crank and rods that came with the block -$400
Gear drive setup$100 (used)
Head studs $50 (used)
The short block was assembled by my buddies and I with the overseeing and guidance of Odell Contrell ( I may have the spelling wrong on the last name)

On hand I have 70 mm TB, 160 lbs injectors and a sequential fast system along with a 76 Q trim turbo as well as a GT42/76. (All from wheeling and dealing)

I am very close, I want to get everything that I can powder/jet hot coated, I need head gaskets and I am going with a distributor setup. I am not looking to light world on fire low 10’s and maybe 9.90 time slip. I am also going with E85.

I also want to say that without some of the standup members on this board like OC , Mike Booher and few others I wouldn’t have gotten this far. All the great advise as well as locating/buying parts from them made this possible.

This is my story and I am sticking to it!!!

Prasad:D

I have under 7K in my stage II long block build; some people have way more into a 109 block. It has taken a while since I started my stage II project... I started in 2003 slowly piecing together all the parts. I didn't want to break my bank or use borrowed money to accomplish my build. I could have finished it much sooner but that is another whole different story.
Mostly, I got all good used parts along with the few new parts. I also did a lot of wheeling and dealing. Obviously one of the first things I got was the block and the crank; there were no cheap Chinese cranks available at the time.

This is a stroker 274 cube on center motor (4.020 bore)

Stage II on center block $500 (traded a used 70 turbo that needed a rebuild and a down pipe setup. I had $500 in it)
BMS used wide journal 3.59crank $1500 (The most expensive part so far)
Carrillo Rods used set $300 (Used)
Diamond pistons $700 with the coatings (New)
Machine shop $1200 (bore, balance, heads and bearings)
Stage II heads and T&D rockers, valve covers $700 (real nice heads with 45cc chambers)
Stage II cam, solid lifters, push rods and springs $700 (cam and springs are new)
On center converted intake $400 (used)
Stage II headers $500 (I got really lucky here)
BHJ balance $100 (used)
JW fly wheel $50.00 (used)
External single stage pump, deep pan $450 (used)
Sold the odd fire crank and rods that came with the block -$400
Gear drive setup$100 (used)
Head studs $50 (used)
The short block was assembled by my buddies and I with the overseeing and guidance of Odell Contrell ( I may have the spelling wrong on the last name)

On hand I have 70 mm TB, 160 lbs injectors and a sequential fast system along with a 76 Q trim turbo as well as a GT42/76. (All from wheeling and dealing)

I am very close, I want to get everything that I can powder/jet hot coated, I need head gaskets and I am going with a distributor setup. I am not looking to light world on fire low 10’s and maybe 9.90 time slip. I am also going with E85.

I also want to say that without some of the standup members on this board like OC , Mike Booher and few others I wouldn’t have gotten this far. All the great advise as well as locating/buying parts from them made this possible.

This is my story and I am sticking to it!!!

Prasad:D

Not bad Bro'ham. Where did you get your cam? You've done DANG good so far. I am not quite as complete as you but if keep my money spending pace we will be neck & neck at the finish of our engines.:) I hope to pick up a few pieces in Bowling Green this year. So far I'm into mine for:

153 block w/crossbolted front&rears
BMS 3.59 crank std wide journal (did they make these in narrow journal?)
Oliver 6.5" Rods
Wisco Pistons
ATI Balancer
All machine work done by Duttweiller and ready for assembly
──────────
$3000:eek: Thanks BigStu.

I'm using Champion heads that I was running on my 109. Sent them in to Tom to have them fully race ported, converted to 14 bolt, freshened up and new springs for roller cam.
T&D Roller Rockers 1.65 w/pedestals *Pedestals New rockers used
Champion oncenter Intake w/light portwork & Stud kit for 14bolt Champions *Used from Burhead!
──────────
$3300

Neutral balanced stock flywheel from Weber Racing
──────────
$160

What I need now is a cam, oil pump, & timing set.....of course that just for the engine. There is also the transmission/rear end/suspension.:eek:

Not bad Bro'ham. Where did you get your cam? You've done DANG good so far. I am not quite as complete as you but if keep my money spending pace we will be neck & neck at the finish of our engines.:) I hope to pick up a few pieces in Bowling Green this year. So far I'm into mine for:

153 block w/crossbolted front&rears
BMS 3.59 crank std wide journal (did they make these in narrow journal?)
Oliver 6.5" Rods
Wisco Pistons
ATI Balancer
All machine work done by Duttweiller and ready for assembly
──────────
$3000:eek: Thanks BigStu.

I'm using Champion heads that I was running on my 109. Sent them in to Tom to have them fully race ported, converted to 14 bolt, freshened up and new springs for roller cam.
T&D Roller Rockers 1.65 w/pedestals *Pedestals New rockers used
Champion oncenter Intake w/light portwork & Stud kit for 14bolt Champions *Used from Burhead!
──────────
$3300

Neutral balanced stock flywheel from Weber Racing
──────────
$160

What I need now is a cam, oil pump, & timing set.....of course that just for the engine. There is also the transmission/rear end/suspension.:eek:

PM sent!

Back